Must have iPhone app for Paramotor pilots.

Am I looking at the right registration page? £99 for the maps and registration on IPad/phone for 1 year????

i think you get 30 days free then it costs. http://users.airboxaero.com/UserAccount/Registration.aspx. I'm just in the process of downloading the charts now in the trial version. Had a look and it appears the the entire UK charting at 250K is £149.00. Obviously cheaper than buying individually, not sure if you can buy individual charts at a cheaper price but, certainly worth a look.

Hope this helps

My Iphone is a 3gs, when I click on update software in itunes is says I have version 4.2 and that my software is up to date, can I install IOS5 on a 3gs? if so anyone know how?

Cheers

no mate. Apple have not made iOS 5 available for older iPhones. I run a 3G and that's on the older OS too. it's because of the different circuitry, chips and whatnot. A good way of forcing you to get a newer phone.

iOS 6 is about to be released too.

hope this helps

All,

Yes this is an awesome app, and to be clear I have no comercial interest in the app. But I am interested in your experience downloading and using it.

I am working closely with Tom the MD from Airbox who make the aware system and the foresight (both of which I have one off) to make a paramotor specific unit.

We are very close to a go, it will come with 250k mapping for the entire UK with updates as they happen. (it will also be priced at our marketplace by loosing a few not needed flight plan submission bits and bobs...)

Our next meeting is this week.

SW :D

download experience was simple (to be expected). Demo obviously has limited 250K chart but that's fine too. The only thing I've not managed to figure out is how to position the aircraft icon where I want it to start (probably a lack of instruction or me being a numpty). Obviously, that would be useful as we don't always start from a known airfield.

There's no manual to download (even if you click the manual link on the browser version of the site). The instructional videos I've mentioned previously.

As an app it's good. Honestly, I've not done any comparison between it, memory map and Skydemon. An inflight unit would be good though I'm guessing it cannot be a replacement for carrying a chart or two incase of unit failure (battery discharge or outage etc).

As with everything in this sport, it'll come down to price. There's enough folk out there tinkering around with cheap GPS units with free googlemap hacks.

hope this helps

:o

The AWARE units are a little more advanced when it comes to flight planning, NATS approved updates and NOTAMS.

The GPS hacks are not a reliable navigation aid for any pilot who is serious about his her navigation.

A perfect example of this was on the recent Flight for Heroes trip...

We had a call from mr X saying that he had just been nobbled for flying through a MASSIVE chunk of airspace. He said, it was not on any maps, and there is no NOTAM (a new lump of airspace) which was entirely true. (but he should have checked for updates like we all do :?

2 weeks before, I had planned a route using the AWARE system. It already had the update which put us safely around the edge of it wondering how he made such a silly mistake.

If your doing XC, you need a stable, 100% accurate and up to date system. (and an up to date map, (with amendments which you can draw on from your AWARE system)

The above telling off, could have been a very serious situation involving comercial passenger aircraft involving peoples lives. It was a massive part of the drive for me to get such a system at an affordable price for the Paramotor marketplace.

It's a bit like a reserve, I am happy not to save money on that thanks! you pay your money (or not) , you take your chances playing russian rulett in the sky.

If your a local field kind of pilot, save your cash.

Hi Simon

I have to say the aware is an awesome bit of kit.. I have used it on two of my record attempts and allows you to get closer to restricted area's and gives you plenty of warning of any infringement you may be about to make.. For me making an airspace blunder will kill blow any record attempt out of the water...

If they are making a PPG specific unit i will be getting one for sure.... Make sure the battery life is more than 5 hours as my Aware 5 plus will last 3, So i have to carry a power monkey to charge while in flight, Also the Aware screen is too shinny and you get allot of glare from it.

If they need a test pilot for one of the new unit's i am your man :wink:

Hi Simon

I have to say the aware is an awesome bit of kit.. I have used it on two of my record attempts and allows you to get closer to restricted area's and gives you plenty of warning of any infringement you may be about to make.. For me making an airspace blunder will kill blow any record attempt out of the water...

If they are making a PPG specific unit i will be getting one for sure.... Make sure the battery life is more than 5 hours as my Aware 5 plus will last 3, So i have to carry a power monkey to charge while in flight, Also the Aware screen is too shinny and you get allot of glare from it.

If they need a test pilot for one of the new unit's i am your man :wink:

The power issue has been raised ( the flight 4 heroes guys also used Power monkeys. )

Not sure that the screen can change due to the cost though :-( (trying to get it down)