Parajet issue - oil splatting out between air box and carb!

stuartasutherland

If you change the reeds, change them for the old design, (rather than Carbon Ones from PM tuning) which are poo and warp over a very short time span.

SW :D

Well thats a useless thread.

what part was useless?

The fault I was referring to was on someone else's NEW V2!

I do not see it as my place to go into any discussion over faults they have, as they will still be having to drive down to the manufacturers base, FOR SECOND TIME, to deal will the same problem!!

Good to talk to you Stuart, and no sarcasm either..... :wink:

Maybe a PM would have been better then :-)

You kind of made it public then went all secret squirrel. lol

All good, now some advice has been added :-)

Do Parajet still have the old one do you think?

Have you seen this issue before?

I am not sure if the oil situation is related but I and other were having power issues when using the carbon reeds (after a matter of a couple hours they warped.

Good luck dude.

DMwood is not even flying and has trouble with his PJET.... Is he running around the garden Naked with his motor on his back again :wink::lol:

Sorry i had to bail the other evening but had to get home for the other half and had a funeral the next day.... you didnt miss anything as the wind dropped to nothing by 530pm so you would not have been flying anyway.

Next week is looking possible...

Must be the week for it Mark..

Monday funeral.

Tuesday, main blast chiller went titty uppy - hence late deliveries, hence late for flying...

Weds, no one to test the air.....?

But on the upside, we are now producing Piglets Calzone Pizzas.

Quite tasty I should add....

That's just not true about DMWood. He wears superman pants - apparently!!

...Is he running around the garden Naked with his motor on his back again :wink::lol:

Errm..what I do in my own time, in my own back garden, with my own paramotor is entirely up to me..sadly the neighbours disagree.. :oops:

On a more serious note I think Enzo did exactly the right thing..he pointed Stuart to me as he knows I had something similar happening.. without the subsequent potential of igniting a flame war about who has the best/worst motor.

I believe my circumstances are slightly different to Stuarts. I am actually seeing what appears to be a slight trickle of oil and fuel mix when on idle for a prolonged period (2 minutes plus). Parajet have looked at the unit twice at my request and are not overly concerned and at this stage neither am I. It seems to be a normal thing to happen on any unit to various degrees and as commented elsewhere in this thread wiping off the choke plate after a run addresses the problem with any residue.

With specific reference to Stuart's issue I cannot honestly comment as the unit has not been flown for a prolonged period of time yet. Secondly the oil residue I am seeing is not black its clean two stroke oil on mine. Perhaps as others have suggested this is a reed valve issue?

I dont normally do this but this I will comment here specifically about Parajet. Their service to date has been exemplary. They are responsive and genuinely concerned about any issue you raise with them, and if replacement parts are required, they are sent out without quible and always in good time. They sent me a new carb as a precaution after discussing a potential issue with them, and I never even asked for it. It was simply an enquiry.

On the occaisions I have visited the factory to date they always made time to tend to my requirements, and if given sufficient advance notice, they pull one of their engineers off the shop floor almost immediately to come and discuss matters directly.

In summary a BIG thumbs up for Parajet IMHO :D

@ Stuart..If you do want to talk to me directly just PM me and I will pass on my personal number so we can have a chat.

Oil pooling between the airbox and carb is common on two strokes. Some air gets past the reeds before they close, allowing the fuel-oil mixture to be pushed into the airbox where it condenses, the fuel evaporates leaving a nice puddle of oil...

Take out the reed block hold it up to the light and see if they are warped is my bet.

If they are, a temp fix while waiting for spares is to turn them over.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this issue. I've replaced the reeds in the reed valve and hey presto the choke slide is clean and no oil splats. There didn't seem anything wrong with the old one but perhaps it was losing its strength.

ps I've only done a 20 minute flight but it has never been clean after a flight before.

That is all.

Thanks for all the comments and help.