2 stroke vs 4 stroke (pro's and cons)

Moohammy

I've read lots and watched enough youtube to realise I know nothing. So, I'm asking opinions, guidance, advice (call it what you will).

looking at a paramotor. I like the idea of a polini thor (the centrifugal clutch) seems a sensible idea. but I also like the idea of the bailey v5.

can you please give me an idea of the pro's and cons of each and why I would/should purchase one rather than the other?

really appreciate the feedback (rather than a trolling fest :D )

thanks in advance

Rich

Hi,

I guess for me, its having the ability to take apart and fully repair the (very simple) engine of a 2 stroke that keeps me with them.

Also, with direct injection 2 stroke already being fitted to 50cc and 125cc motorbikes, that HAS to be the future.

4 stroke advantage as I see it, longer flight times before filling up. The reason this is not a problem for me is that I have managed to fly from Lands end to JOG, and across the Sahara desert and was more than happy landing every 2 hours 45 mins for a brew and a pee. :-)

SW :D

2 Stroke pro's

Better power to weight

Light

Simple

Cheap to manufacture

Cheaper spares

Lots of choice from big manufacturers ie: Polini, Simo etc

2 Stroke cons

Harder to tune

More complicated exhaust (tuned)

More irritating exhaust note (high pitched)

Have to mix fuel

Use expensive synthetic racing oil

4 Stroke pro's

Better low down torque

Swing bigger prop at lower revs

More agreeable exhaust note (lower pitch)

Easy fueling (no mixing)

Fuel efficient

Simpler exhaust sytem

4 Stroke cons

Lower power to weight

Thrust figures not up to 2 strokes (yet)

Initial cost

Limited choice

Harder to maintain

More complicated

Horses for courses really..

Look at the results of the recent UK nats 75% 2 stroke to 25% 4 stroke. And that's mostly cos it was a UK comp and we have a UK 4 stroke manufacturer. On the continent or in the US you will be lucky to see any..

Rich (the other one)

Thanks for the feedback. Just makes the reading more interesting.

Still undecided. I don't think there's a killer argument for either. I'm guessing I would like to do a bit more XC type of flying. But I'm not sure I want the added complexity of a 4-stroke (i guess in my naievity i'm thinking there's just more to go wrong?)

Anyhow, thanks again. it's much appreciated.

You are much more likely to have a very expensive failure with a two stroke. With the oiling system, walboro carb and the complex exhaust the two stokes are prone to costly failures. They seize rather easily if not in tune, or if they get a small blockage in the carb, The exhausts on a lot of them are prone to cracking. My old H&E sent the muffler core through the prop ££££, seized a couple of times ££££ and had all sorts of other problems. Break an Italian made engine in late July and you will be lucky to get spares before September because the factory will be shut down for the holidays. Now I have had problems with my Bailey in the 200 odd hours I have flown it, but none have cost more than £150 or kept me out of the air for any length of time and the motor looks as good as new and has a great many more hours left in it. + a four stroke can be flown in far greater comfort over much longer flights and will not piss off all your neighbours quite so much.

• 2 months later...

I prefer clutched motors, and since moving from a Bailey (JPX) to a Polini, I find it an added bonus and was part of my decision process when opting for the Polini..

I never liked the fact that the Bailey was direct driven and was a bit of a beast on start up. The Polini clutch just makes things more refined. You wouldnt start a chainsaw or brush cutter without a centrifugal clutch would you ? :?

Any negs would be extra complication and possibility of clutch slip when worn, but the Polini is a proven unit now.

I do like dropping to idle and just let the prop windmill while sniffing out the odd thermal.. :mrgreen:

Edited by Guest

I prefer clutched motors, and since moving from a Bailey (JPX) to a Polini, I find it an added bonus and was part of my descision process when opting for the Polini..

I never liked the fact that the Bailey was direct driven and was a bit of a beast on start up. The Polini clutch just makes things more refined. You wouldnt start a chainsaw or brush cutter without a centrifugal clutch would you ? :?

Any negs would be extra complication and possibility of clutch slip when worn, but the Polini is a proven unit now.

I do like dropping to idle and just let the prop windmill while sniffing out the odd thermal.. :mrgreen:

Have to agree with the sentiment that the polini is a proven unit, part of the desicion for me in choosing one was that the thor motor is based on the very same motor that is powering thousands of scooters all around the world, whos owners do very little maintainence on them and thrash them around cities mile after mile.

we take much more care of our motors and treat them with far more respect than your average scooter rider who just uses it for commuting.

not only that but you can see the quality of manufacture thats gone into it, every bit looks like a quality item.

I think the thor is proberly the best two stroke motor in PPG at the moment.

I like the clutched prop and the fact its power devlivery is nice and smooth, coming from a "all or nothing" type delivery of a pap ros, it took a bit of getting used to but I love it.

:D