Polini Thor Prop Bolts.

Steve

Has anyone else received a Polini Thor with prop bolts using plain washers (no locking washers or nyloc inserts)? I just put the prop on to 14nm as I was so keen to fly it but then had several weeks of having to retighten it during every pre-flight check. I kind of assumed that it would be locking washers as standard (I know, assume nothing).

My old Volution had locking washers plus the prop rotation kept everything tight, no prop bolts ever came loose. The Thor rotation is the opposite so the bolts are bound to undo. Left handed threads would have been a good idea perhaps (as well as locking washers).

The loctite 243 is out of the tool box and ready for action, albeit a bit retrospectively.

I would go for Nyloc nuts in preference to locking washers.

If a Nyloc nut is loosened, it won't run off the end of the stud and become a projectile when the prop hits it.

A locking washer only has any chance of working when it's tight, and even then most of them don't work.

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/junkertestvideo.htm

There is a type of spring washer that works - they are very hard and have a distinct barb at each of the cut ends. The barb digs into the nut face and the bolting face. These make a mess of the parts and break upon dismantling.

Pete

Bailey 175

Ozone Indy

Unfortunately the Polini hub looks like this:-

polinim.jpg

So the only answer is lock washers or locktight... Lockwashers will make a mess of the soft ali spacer. Do you use a carbon or wooden prop? I don't have any issues with it loosening up using a carbon prop as the hub doesn't compress as much.

Edited by Guest

Unfortunately the Polini hub looks like this:-

[so the only answer is lock washers or locktight... Lockwashers will make a mess of the soft ali spacer. Do you use a carbon or wooden prop? I don't have any issues with it loosening up using a carbon prop as the hub doesn't compress as much.

It's carbon but comes loose every flight, not so that the bolts can be turned by hand but the have an eighth of a turn to get them back to 14nm. Loctite holds everything else on so it's going on the prop bolts too now.

Sounds like you need my quick release prop device...

Word on the street I that Parajet will be releasing it soon....

Also helps out with the spacer issue that came up in Thë service bulletin from polini... Keep ur eyes peeled on parajets site!

Sounds like I might - Funnily enough I was asking about them that yesterday. Looking forward to seeing it - I had assumed it was for the Parajet engines not the Polini.

What's this about the spacer issue? :?

Also helps out with the spacer issue that came up in Thë service bulletin from polini... Keep ur eyes peeled on parajets site!

Sounds like I might - Funnily enough I was asking about them that yesterday. Looking forward to seeing it - I had assumed it was for the Parajet engines not the Polini.

I read on here about a service upgrade from polini, and remember a part of the kit was a prop spacer to move the prop away from the drive, I think it was for heat dissipation. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong..

Yes the qr prop mount is made by Parajet now, but as they now install polini and other engines in their machines I am presuming that they will do a qr for all engines...

• 4 weeks later...

I read on here about a service upgrade from polini, and remember a part of the kit was a prop spacer to move the prop away from the drive, I think it was for heat dissipation. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong..

Yes the qr prop mount is made by Parajet now, but as they now install polini and other engines in their machines I am presuming that they will do a qr for all engines...

any news on this, cant seem to find it on the parajet site?

I asked a few weeks ago - it will only be for the Parajet engine and it may be some way off as they are very busy.

so they are not doing it for the polini?

I thought someone on here was making them for the polini but sold the idea to parajet?