Training near Malvern (Worcestershire)

Hello!

So the time has come to start looking for training. Are there any instructors fairly close to me in Malvern?

I am aware of quite a few paragliding schools out to the West in the mountains (about an 1.5hr drive away) but no idea about PPG.

If I can not find a PPG instructor close by would it be beneficial to do some paragliding and then once I get the hang of it travel a bit further afield to do a few hours/days powered to convert?

I have picked up a cheap wing to "play" with on the ground, although so far there has been 0 wind.... But as soon as there is some puff I can atleast practice ground handling.

Ideally I would like to be able to do powered and non powered depending on where I find myself as the skills are similar and learning both would give more enjoyment I think.... I am toying with the idea of hitting the Alps in August for some mountain biking, climbing etc so could get some paragliding in then.

If you want to Paraglide as well, your suggested path is a good one :-)

Get the Paragliding done (which is more technical than PPG) and the PPG bit will be easy.

PPG training on it's own will not ready you for the hills.

Welcome to the PMC!

SW :D

I will see what the local(ish) paragliding instructors have to say.... Although sods law really, I have two weeks of free time and the weather is shockingly terrible...

If I do go to the Alps (France or Switzerland) and learn (paragliding) out there are there any big differences in terms of paperwork or their methods that I should perhaps be aware of?

Hi Carl.

Yes, would be great to come and say hi. Have never actually seen a paramotor in the flesh before! If you could let me know when and where I will definitely come and watch.

Look forward to hearing from Jock if he is about. :mrgreen:

Hi Carl.

Yes, would be great to come and say hi. Have never actually seen a paramotor in the flesh before! If you could let me know when and where I will definitely come and watch.

Look forward to hearing from Jock if he is about. :mrgreen:

Ok, Drop me a text and I'll let you know when I'm planning on going Powick.

This sport/hobby is addictive !!

You WILL end up weather watching and looking up in to the sky wishing you was flying.

"If I can not find a PPG instructor close by would it be beneficial to do some paragliding and then once I get the hang of it travel a bit further afield to do a few hours/days powered to convert?"

No need to "convert" you can do both and enjoy one while you can not do the other. I started to paraglide first 3-4 years then bought the motor. I wish I would have bought the motor before what a shame.

It really is addictive isn't it...

Was out today in very light winds trying (and failing) to play with an old ground handling wing... I think I just need to grow a pair and be more "confident" on the A risers to get the thing up....

Carl..Have dropped you a message.

I am actually only in Malvern for a few months... Usually down in Plymouth... hence why PPG would be a nice idea out over the moors.

• 2 weeks later...

Im on the malverns 2morro with the tandum,if you want a flight,depending on wind direction it will either be castle/morten or kettle sings hill.no ppg schools around here,as simon says go to your nearest pg school.or try mark dann beyond extreme school,or leavesly avaition.or cornwall hangliding & paragliding school,graham phipps,if you do it abroad make sure itswith a bhpa school, dont try to ground handle in winds above 7mph if you are a newbie,or book a ppg course with simon.

Thanks for the info Jock.

It is actually my Birthday tomorow so I was going to take the afternoon off. If you are about locally I would very much like to come and have a chat and see whats what :mrgreen:

I was on the hill till 1445,then had to go for school bus.i did ask a chap standing on his own if he was you,left phone in car.powick grass is being cut,so we will be down there as soon as its flyable,,,did you go to the hill,,,