Suitable beginner equipment

Hi folks.

I'm a newbie, yes, and yes I am probably going to ask the same question all other newbies ask. Whats good for a newbie.

I'm in the middle of my training, and of course I am starting to get itchy about buying my own gear. After much reading, listening, etc I am starting to form an opinion. Now, I know what opinions are like.....like something else, we all have one. ;)

However, a few questions...

1) Paramania Rev 2

Would this be a sensible first wing? From all I read, it seems to be sold as a beginner/intermediate wing. Reflex technology seems to be a bit like marmite....

2) Electric start - worth the few Kg's trade off?

3) Is it worth passing the licencing for airband radio?

I'm 98kg - 5'11"

Any other opinions on gear much appreciated, so far, I like the idea of electric start....

Thanks

Wrat

Hi folks.

I'm a newbie, yes, and yes I am probably going to ask the same question all other newbies ask. Whats good for a newbie.

I'm in the middle of my training, and of course I am starting to get itchy about buying my own gear. After much reading, listening, etc I am starting to form an opinion. Now, I know what opinions are like.....like something else, we all have one. ;)

However, a few questions...

1) Paramania Rev 2

Would this be a sensible first wing? From all I read, it seems to be sold as a beginner/intermediate wing. Reflex technology seems to be a bit like marmite....

2) Electric start - worth the few Kg's trade off?

3) Is it worth passing the licencing for airband radio?

I'm 98kg - 5'11"

Any other opinions on gear much appreciated, so far, I like the idea of electric start....

Thanks

Wrat

Revo2, excelent beginner wing, nice and solid in the rough stuff, wich will inspire confidence wich is whats needed when you first start out.

electric start?

well it depends on wich motor you buy, some are a doddle to start by hand, like the polini , especially with the flash starter, so no I would go for pull start and save the wieght.

airband?

depends where you are going to be flying as to wether you will need it.

Hi - thanks for the reply.

Rev 2 - cool - confidence building and ease of use, but the ability to progress is what I am looking for.

Not sure about the motor yet, there is such a massive array, I quite like the idea of being able to restart in flight - I'm thinking further down the line when I might want to XC...as what I buy now will have to suffice me for a good while.

We have quite a lot of controlled airspace around where I live, some are quite small airfields, that might be handy to be able to traverse, clearly this would require being able to communicate with ATC.

:-)

Rev 2 - cool - confidence building and ease of use, but the ability to progress is what I am looking for.

Not sure about the motor yet, there is such a massive array, I quite like the idea of being able to restart in flight - I'm thinking further down the line when I might want to XC...as what I buy now will have to suffice me for a good while.

We have quite a lot of controlled airspace around where I live, some are quite small airfields, that might be handy to be able to traverse, clearly this would require being able to communicate with ATC.

Revo 2 should have more than enough performance for you first year

Most small airfields do not have radio they are PPR.