Reflex trimmer position on rough weather conditions

Spending the last three years on Apco Thrust and consider switching to a solid reflex wing such as Revo2, I have two questions?

1. Asuming on XC you meet some rough weather condition such as stronger gusts or thermal air, would you take the trimmers off to full reflex mode, where the wing is faster and stable, yet impossible to activly control the brakes, or would you go back to neutral/slow and get the wing out of reflex for much slower and dynamic flight?

2. for those of you flying on the new Revo2, how do you manage to close trimmers with both hands on each side? is it possible to close it by applying a series of 2-3 strong and fast small pulls? or is it impossible and required both hands for each side at any position?

Thanks and have safe flights.

Spending the last three years on Apco Thrust and consider switching to a solid reflex wing such as Revo2, I have two questions?

1. Asuming on XC you meet some rough weather condition such as stronger gusts or thermal air, would you take the trimmers off to full reflex mode, where the wing is faster and stable, yet impossible to activly control the brakes, or would you go back to neutral/slow and get the wing out of reflex for much slower and dynamic flight?

2. for those of you flying on the new Revo2, how do you manage to close trimmers with both hands on each side? is it possible to close it by applying a series of 2-3 strong and fast small pulls? or is it impossible and required both hands for each side at any position?

Thanks and have safe flights.

Trims full out.

Pull down then short jerks sometimes works.

Being from the free flight world "trimmers full out" for turbulence. I just cannot get my head around this. I cant see actively flying via wing tip steering first of all. Second If you are in FR (full reflex) and you take a 75% collapse man the energy of that collapse will be hair raising to say the least.

I can see their point go to FR and the wing can handle more turbulence to a point. If you past that point.... wow. The risk is to high for me if it gets crazy slow the wing down lower the energy and fly active in the safest mode the wing has. Using RF to stop a collapse is playing Russian Roulette in my eyes

Trimmers closed a collapse is a non issue. Hell I'll reach up and pull a 50-60% myself just to get the blood pumping and practice maintaining direction during this event. During our training we had to do this to learn how to maintain flight during a collapses. I remember my first simulated full frontal. Reach up grab both your "A's" and pull them in. I can not see doing this in RF mode, trimmers in yes.

In RF first you can not pull a A line collapse or full frontal and if you did the outcome I'm sure would be different.

I know Dudek states go to reflex and Ozone stats trimmers in.

I think Ozone has the right approach.

BTW my teacher was a crazy Australian but man we learned everything (thank you Phil if your reading this)! some things at the time I'm not sure I wanted to learn :mrgreen:

my .02

Being from the free flight world "trimmers full out" for turbulence. I just cannot get my head around this. I cant see actively flying via wing tip steering first of all. Second If you are in FR (full reflex) and you take a 75% collapse man the energy of that collapse will be hair raising to say the least.

I can see their point go to FR and the wing can handle more turbulence to a point. If you past that point.... wow. The risk is to high for me if it gets crazy slow the wing down lower the energy and fly active in the safest mode the wing has. Using RF to stop a collapse is playing Russian Roulette in my eyes

Trimmers closed a collapse is a non issue. Hell I'll reach up and pull a 50-60% myself just to get the blood pumping and practice maintaining direction during this event. During our training we had to do this to learn how to maintain flight during a collapses. I remember my first simulated full frontal. Reach up grab both your "A's" and pull them in. I can not see doing this in RF mode, trimmers in yes.

In RF first you can not pull a A line collapse or full frontal and if you did the outcome I'm sure would be different.

I know Dudek states go to reflex and Ozone stats trimmers in.

I think Ozone has the right approach.

BTW my teacher was a crazy Australian but man we learned everything (thank you Phil if your reading this)! some things at the time I'm not sure I wanted to learn :mrgreen:

my .02

Ozone is not designed as a FULL reflex wing, It is a paraglider wing with reflex added.

This is paramotoring, what you are suggesting is that everyone needs to do a paragliding course first to learn these (costing another £1000 or more).

You could do a S.I.V course if you wanted to.

If you access your weather correctly then there is very little chance that you will get in to a situation where your wing is

liable to collapse.

Paraglider fly in turbulent air and closer to the ground so need these skills.

No, I’m not suggesting that everyone take a course (I think it’s a great idea to take an SIV) what a great way to know your glider and build confidence. God forbid something ever happens to you, you might be a little more comfortable and act on instinct not panic to fix the problem.

Paramotors will also fly in turbulent air (anytime you’re over land and the sun comes out), even on here (on this site) I see the guys talking about the thermals. So if you’re in these conditions you should have these skills. You could and will experience turbulent air and something could happen. I think counting on your glider to handle everything is not 100% correct

What I’m suggesting in the previous post is that people slow the glider down and bring it back to a “low energy level” thus removing some of the energy if a collapse ever occurred. When I think of a full frontal in full reflex mode I’m sure it will be more violent than the same in zero trim.

I totally agree with your comments about the Ozone. I wonder if it's everything they learned from the viper :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...

I have only had trouble adjusting the trimmers on my 23m Revo2 the first couple of times. Maybe they loosened up a bit or maybe I just lucked into a great technique but I've got about 30 flights on mine now and always adjust with 1 hand on each trimmer.

Letting them out is easy. Just squeeze the cam and lift up. To take them in I wrap my hand into a fist around the trimmer right up against the cam. Then I rotate my fist down and back using the cam as a kind of brace. The trimmer moves pretty easily. The key is to keep your fist levered against the cam.

If I just pull straight down all that happens is that the whole riser pulls down. The "dual fist" method lets me take them both in at the same time pretty quick and easy. Works for me anyway.

I have had a full frontal collapse on the Revo 1, trimmers fully out and half to 3/4 speed bar applied.

It came back out faster than I could finish saying F**k and pretty much a non event.

The reflex collapse is most likely a little more dynamic but from my experiences to date they are still very very rare and are not as much of an 'event' as non reflex lovers may like to make out.

SW :D