I do not under stand the no mid day flying rule

hi,

It's not so much the quantity of thermals rather than the quality of them. In the middle of the day, thermals are much more turbolent due to the strong ground heating. You need to fly more actively and keep constant control of your glider in order to prevent collapses. So flying becomes more stressful, expecially if you are not used to it.

Low airtime pilots tend to avoid those hours and take off before or later where the heating ease up a bit and all become smoother.

Your instructor should explain this better anyway ;)

And, even after your instructor has explained it to you, you will still find it hard to believe until you have experienced thermic flying for yourself. The sheer power and ferocity of a stonking great thermal truly beggars belief. You can get catapulted skywards whilst your balls beg for mercy. And your vario, instead of giving a nice pleasant, reassuring 2-up beep-beep, will scream at you like the banshee from hell, scaring the living piss out of you. And that's assuming the thermal has chosen to take ALL of your wing with it. Only the very skilled cross-country boys/girls who need to brave out the mid-day stuff in search of the big distances will be out at noon. Oh, and the very stupid :shock:

And, even after your instructor has explained it to you, you will still find it hard to believe until you have experienced thermic flying for yourself. The sheer power and ferocity of a stonking great thermal truly beggars belief. You can get catapulted skywards whilst your balls beg for mercy. And your vario, instead of giving a nice pleasant, reassuring 2-up beep-beep, will scream at you like the banshee from hell, scaring the living piss out of you. And that's assuming the thermal has chosen to take ALL of your wing with it. Only the very skilled cross-country boys/girls who need to brave out the mid-day stuff in search of the big distances will be out at noon. Oh, and the very stupid :shock:

been there? :mrgreen:

lol

love it ! a proper explanation :lol:

If you have a rule that say’s no flying at Midday, I would suggest that this is too simplistic, you should really try to learn and understand, the weather conditions better, and learn about lapse rates and the difference between stable and unstable air, then you can look at forecast (have a look at http://rasp.inn.leedsmet.ac.uk/RASPtable.html ). You will see that some days it is OK to fly at Midday, other days it will be thermic most of the day.

There is nothing wrong with being out @ midday. I love thermal flying and doing Big XC's but saying no midday fly is total nonsense. It is all down to the days conditions and your skill level. You would not say no midday flying on a high pressure day now would you.

When you have had some proper lessons you will understand more about the sport and when you have some flying experience you will know what type of flying you want to do. most people are happy just to fly locally in the 30-50 km range and for an hour. I one the other hand are not and like to always want push my limit (for distance/time)

Good luck with the training and the saving

Mark

Flying is supposed to be fun so there is no need to push the limit to fast and far. Flying in thermal condition is one of the most demanding tasks so it's not to begin with.

To begin with when it comes to flying is to get comfortable in the air and learn how to start and land properly. In the beginning I would say that most people find it a bit scary and uncomfortable when the glider starts to move around and the harness is shaking due to turbulence. It's important to learn how the glider behaves and what is safe and what is not.

Flying often helps a lot for this. In time it'll be okay with minor movements without feeling scared.

Learning to handle the glider actively helps too, it is necessary to learn that. Practicing ground handling is a very good tool to learn how to control the glider. Fun too, especially when the weather isn't suitable for flying due to turbulence.

Eventually when you feel safer and know what you are doing it is possible to fly in thermal condition, best is to start early in a day when the thermals haven't started yet, and in a day when the thermals are likely to be weak. If it starts to get bad then land. Best is to learn from an instructor of course and fly with mates that have the experience (if they know what they are doing).

Anyway, with that said, not all days have thermals. It depends a lot on the area you live in, what time of year, if it has been a cold night, if there is an overcast and so on. Some days can be surprisingly stable and sometimes the other way around. Not always that easy to predict. There are weather casts with thermal prediction available.

Thermal appears when the air mass is unstable. If there have been beautiful weather with high pressure for a while the air gets stable and the thermals can be non existent or weak even though it's a blue sky with a shining sun.

Using the force of nature to rise to the sky is a very nice feeling. It's fun to learn and difficult to master. Best in my opinion is to use free flight gear to learn this, feels more comfortable compared to a paramotor strapped to your back. Quite a big difference I would say.

I certainly will. When I heard you can not fly mid day it kind of upset me because I thought to my self "how the @$&* am I supposed to fly far if I can only fly morning and late day" Could you give me key words to google

The main things to google would be

Thermals,

How a thermal works

Lapse rates

convergence

sea breeze

ridge lift/soaring

anabatic and katabatic winds

air pressure high and low

corollas affect

Cloud types

glide ratio's

aspect ratio's

Parasitic drag

profile drag

and the other one i forget (form drag???)

thrust line

centre of gravity

cord

angle of attck

Just a little light reading :wink:

I certainly will. When I heard you can not fly mid day it kind of upset me because I thought to my self "how the @$&* am I supposed to fly far if I can only fly morning and late day" Could you give me key words to google

I would recommend the book 'Understanding the Sky' - A Sport Pilot's Guide to Flying Conditions, by Dennis Pagen

Out in the morning

Return in the evening :lol::lol: