What causes an in air wing collapse

finding0

There are a number of possible reasons but most importantly they never just happen for no reason - consequently it is possible to fly and never have it happen. Flying is like riding a motorbike - it is as safe as you want it to be.

Nige

Those two things are the most likely causes of collapses, however ground turbulence caused by wind blowing around trees and buildings present a hazard if your downwind of such things. Oh and dont play chicken with a Chinnook or Hercules..

Nige

ah, so basically as long as I never try anything to flashy or avoid bad weather conditions it is likely to never happen?

it can happen at anytime on any day, the pressure differance between the air in the wing and the air outside is quite small, any number of things can cause it to collapse, I have seen and experience quite a few and have never seen or experienced one that has caused me any concern, infact the wing recovers so quickly that you only really notice one when you hear it pop back out.

I did have a 50% collapse once when flying on a day with perfect conditions, I lost around 30ft in hieght and it made me turn about 45 degrees to the right.

you will be surprised what our wings will put up with and still fly you safely :D

try looking through some of the wing collapse videos on youtube, just about all of them recover quickly and with no adverse effect, the only time you may come a cropper is if it happens too close to the ground, but thats down to your judgement and not the wings performance.

• 1 month later...