Wing life extension?

I was looking at how long wings last and what I was getting is 300-500 hours or 4 years with regular usage. I find that very upsetting considering how hard money comes by for me. Is there any kind of uv resistant spray that could be used to extend the life span?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how much you fly but 300-500 hours air time it quite a lot actually. It's not that easy to achieve unless you live in area with stable weather and have plenty of time.

But regarding your question, I don't think there are any manufacturer that recommends it but you'll find some info on the subject on paraglidingforum.com

I'm a bit interested myself. The new super hydrofobic sprays are interesting.

I brought up this subject with my instructor and was told it was not a good idea. I was told that hydrophobic coatings cause water to remain in beads on the surface of the wing, which can cause flow to detatch. This would severely reduce lift.

Pete

Bailey 175

Ozone Indy

I brought up this subject with my instructor and was told it was not a good idea. I was told that hydrophobic coatings cause water to remain in beads on the surface of the wing, which can cause flow to detatch. This would severely reduce lift.

Pete

Bailey 175

Ozone Indy

If it beads the water then it will blow off when flying rather than soak in making the wing heaver and more liable to stall.

(This not a recommendation to use the product or any product on your wing)

I personally would keep it covered at all times when not in use, keep it clean , keep it in a dry place and not leave it packed tight for long periods of non use. you could also take the time to pack away by folding it but change the way you fold regularly so as not to get the folds in the same place each time.

I don't think there are any manufacturer of paragliders that dare to recommend any spray or coating in case it could have a negative impact on the glider. It's easiest not to recommend anything.

I once asked the manufacturer that make gelvenor about what I could use to clean the wing. I said it was for a paraglider. They recommended distilled water. That sounded a bit too safe to me.

I then asked again on a later occasion and didn't say it was for a paraglider and wanted to know what kind of chemicals the fabric could handle without damage. Then I got a completely different answer. I don't remember all chemicals but ethanol or methanol was then suddenly okay.

So I tested to have a piece of fabric in a 99 % ethanol solution for several weeks. Couldn't see any difference. I didn't test for strength and porosity but it visually and by feel I couldn't see any difference. The blue fabric left a tint of blue in the solution that was all.

Treating a new glider is not likely to do any good since the fabric is already treated with something. Treating a slightly used glider sounds like a viable solution to me, but I have no proof whatsoever.

Those hydrofobic sprays not only repels water but dirt and dust as well. And they increase UV resistance. Dirt in a wing isn't good for the fabric either, nor is salt crystals.

On the other hand, if it would affect the glider badly then there could be a rather nasty situation when that reveals itself.

Caring for the glider well as pete_b mentioned is probably the best option at the moment until someone with the right knowledge can confirm that coating is okay, and what to coat with.

Question is, who is that someone that dares to recommend it.