Speedster / Nucleon

I was wondering if anybody could give me an updated comparison of the Nucleon vs the Speedster?

I've been digging through some old post and found several pilots that have both, but didn't have enough time on the Speedster to comment. Very interested in the stability of the wings, as from what I have read the Nucleon is more stable, but the Speedster handles considerably better??? I'm looking for a wing to fly in pretty ruff conditions and wondering if the handling/stability trade off is worth it.

Thanks to all who reply.

Thanks

Shawn

I don't have mine yet. Well I do but its in canada and I'm in Brasil!

I have the 29m Nuc and a 26m speedster. I should get the speedster in the next 2-3weeks.

I'll post my thoughts once I get the speedster to Brasil. I have both my parachutes repacked and ready for some testing lol.

T

Thanks for the reply's.

Don't have a nuc., but considering one. The stability questions was in referance to how they behave in poor conditions. Sorry if I was not clear. Per Ozone's manual they recommended flying trims in, in bad turbulence, but with the nuc. they say let them out. I'm no sure how much is just legal manual info or if there's a true difference in their reflex profile to cause different reactions.

Shawn

hi. i know your trying to get some feed back.from other pilots.the nucleon is from dudek...the speedster is from ozone. read the manuals and dont deviate.think of a wing just like buying a car. ask alot of questions.then test the wing or wings out.also listen to what they say too. .(the salesmen)....have a demo on the two wings then you .....make up your mind. which to choose. :0)

I have recently changed form a nucleon 34 to a speedster 30 (Having lost weight so I am at the top end of both all up).

I have not had a lot of experience of the speedster in rough air but this is my experience so far.

In my opinion.

1. The speedster is easier to launch and land than the Nucleon.

2. The brake preasure is heavier on the speedster

3. The Nucleon is marginally more stable in roughish air.

4. The nucleon is faster

5. the trims on the Nucleon are easier to pull in

6. the speedster tip steering is more responsive

7. The carry bag on the nucleon is better as it has an integrated stuff sack.

8. The magnets on the speedster that holds the brake handles in place are rubbish

9. Glide ratio on the speedster seems a little better

I like both wings, but if I was buying again I would choose the Speedster simply because of the launch properties. (It is so easy to reverse launch even in low wind)

I am not sure the speedster is slower than the Nucleon Barry in general... You were over the top end on the Nuc and on a very heavy motor EC extreme simo 45kg+ . So with full fuel all up 185-190kg Now your around 140kg all up on a V5. Also the Speedster has a smaller certified weight range than the Nuc.

I am not sure the speedster is slower than the Nucleon Barry in general...

You were over the top end on the Nuc and on a very heavy motor EC extreme simo 45kg+ .

So with full fuel all up 185-190kg Now your around 140kg all up on a V5. Also the Speedster has a smaller certified weight range than the Nuc.

In my opinion the Speedster is slower at similar relative loading. I will give you the REAL number that I have flown at on both wings.

Nucleon 34 (140 - 175) - All up weight including fuel (But not including the wing)

All Up - 175

All up - 155

All up - 143

Speedster 30 (110 - 140) - All up weight including fuel (But not including the wing)

All up - 138

As you can see I flown the Nucleon inside its weight range (Not over as you suggested) and I have flown it through the weight range all the way from the top to the bottom as I was losing weight.

And I am at the top end of the Speedster at my current weight.

And I stand by what I said in every configuration I have tried the Nucleon is slightly faster than the Speedster.

174 -> 143 congrats!

I have a 29 Nuc and is it a fast wing that's for sure. I'm realizing now that I barley hit the weight range.

I fly in Brazil and its generally hot so I fly in shorts. All up I'm about 110k max So I'm light on the glider. I really should have got a 27m. Anyone want to trade a 27 for a 29?

Anyway being light the 26m reflex gliders at take-off trim after about 10min of flying beside me can just pass. But if we go full trim I will land and wait for them :mrgreen:

I will test but I'd be surprised if the speedster is faster. Even issues 26 of paramotor mag stated its not actually that fast.

I'm going to test both with vario and see. It will not be even for the nuc as its a 29 ves 26m but it will be interesting to see min max of both.

T

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I got the speedster and managed to take it out for 3-4 hours. I was limited on what I could do (forget chute in house)

Now I have a 29 Dudek nuc and 26 speedster. I will try to compare if the Dudek if it was also a 26m

Speed I have not confirmed but will with vario next flight but I would bet a Nuc of the same size would be faster.

Wing tip steering, the speedster is better for sure the ability to spiral dive from wingtip steering is true. However there is no magic here. The wingtip steering for the speedster is high on the risers. So when you pull the handles you get a good 10-18” of travel. The nuc is in a bad place. It’s lower on the risers and you cannot get that much travel easily, however it can be done if you really want.

I was use to the nuc so I grabbed on to the speedster wingtip steering and gave it a good 12” pull. Wow…… I thought to myself. Ok that works after it exited that start of a steep spiral dive. I immediately thought that the nuc needed to have the tip steering balls moved higher on the risers with a finger grab like the speedster.

Risers in the ozone are so much cleaner in every way. The Big ears baby A is really high. Big ears come on and stay tucked under the canopy. The canopy only legs back maybe 5 deg with ears on. One pump and out they come out. Turn with one ear in no problem also. Nuc is the same

The launch for both I would say is almost the same. The nylon in the leading edge of the Ozone I believe gives the Ozone a little edge. When it’s on the ground the leading edge is always open. This day we had 9-11kns of wind so it was a little fresh.

Later in the afternoon it got up to 12-13 or so knots so I ran the Ozone over to where they paraglide, due to the wind the paragliders had all landed. I was still on 0 trim or takeoff setting and still was able to penetrate without an issue. The ozone move around with the varying change in air pressure but no issue handling everything including the turbulence. I would not take the Nuc in this just because I’m too light under the wing, if it was a 26 I would have done the same and expected the same.

Feel, The Ozone feels like a paraglider wing and you can use the speed bar through the entire trim range. I have never used the speed bar on the nuc but used it at least 5 times on the Ozone this day. Just it catch up to people, penetrate with the extra wind etc. The nuc moves less about your head for sure. It gives you the feeling of a solid wing above you. Coming from the paragliding world this does not sit well with me. I don’t know why. I’ve had wingtips come in and out with the nuc no issue but I learned with the paraglide feel and can’t explain the difference but it’s there. It’s like a paragliding wing talks to you and the nuc is silent. It just fly’s you to where you point it. Have a nap read the paper etc.

Brake pressure is the same on both.

Landing on 0 trim. The nuc comes in faster even as a 29m. I normally grab the top of the handles on both. You really need to do this with the nuc it does come in faster. Landing the Speed I grabbed the top of the brake handle (10kns now) and came in high. I pumped the brakes like I use to in Paragliding this allows you to almost descend straight down and it worked on the Ozone no issue. I would need more wind to try this on the nuc. The landing on the Ozone was really easy

Would I change a Nuc 26 for a speedster 26….. At this point I would not. I however I bought the Nuc a little bit bigger then I need and I wanted a wing that I can free fly and motor. I’m going to take it free flying in the next few weeks. I’ll take some pic’s and maybe a video.

In my opinion.

agree

not sure

yes, Speed like to move more

4. The nucleon is faster

agree

agree

agree

lol Yes, I want to take my speedster and use the nuc bag and riser bags

8. The magnets on the speedster that holds the brake handles in place are rubbish

Agree you can never find them

yea not confirmed but it felt better. But I think that's where the nuc gets the speed

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...
Well I got the speedster and managed to take it out for 3-4 hours. I was limited on what I could do (forget chute in house)

Now I have a 29 Dudek nuc and 26 speedster. I will try to compare if the Dudek if it was also a 26m

Speed I have not confirmed but will with vario next flight but I would bet a Nuc of the same size would be faster.

Wing tip steering, the speedster is better for sure the ability to spiral dive from wingtip steering is true. However there is no magic here. The wingtip steering for the speedster is high on the risers. So when you pull the handles you get a good 10-18” of travel. The nuc is in a bad place. It’s lower on the risers and you cannot get that much travel easily, however it can be done if you really want.

.........................................................................................garyfreefly Post subject: Re: Outkasts new NucleonPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:20 am

Paramotor Club 500.

Location: North Wales Please Please never buy a wing without a test flight first...........Ive done it and before on somebodys rave reviews and wasted good money..... ......I wont be doing it again

I was use to the nuc so I grabbed on to the speedster wingtip steering and gave it a good 12” pull. Wow…… I thought to myself. Ok that works after it exited that start of a steep spiral dive. I immediately thought that the nuc needed to have the tip steering balls moved higher on the risers with a finger grab like the speedster.

Risers in the ozone are so much cleaner in every way. The Big ears baby A is really high. Big ears come on and stay tucked under the canopy. The canopy only legs back maybe 5 deg with ears on. One pump and out they come out. Turn with one ear in no problem also. Nuc is the same

The launch for both I would say is almost the same. The nylon in the leading edge of the Ozone I believe gives the Ozone a little edge. When it’s on the ground the leading edge is always open. This day we had 9-11kns of wind so it was a little fresh.

Later in the afternoon it got up to 12-13 or so knots so I ran the Ozone over to where they paraglide, due to the wind the paragliders had all landed. I was still on 0 trim or takeoff setting and still was able to penetrate without an issue. The ozone move around with the varying change in air pressure but no issue handling everything including the turbulence. I would not take the Nuc in this just because I’m too light under the wing, if it was a 26 I would have done the same and expected the same.

Feel, The Ozone feels like a paraglider wing and you can use the speed bar through the entire trim range. I have never used the speed bar on the nuc but used it at least 5 times on the Ozone this day. Just it catch up to people, penetrate with the extra wind etc. The nuc moves less about your head for sure. It gives you the feeling of a solid wing above you. Coming from the paragliding world this does not sit well with me. I don’t know why. I’ve had wingtips come in and out with the nuc no issue but I learned with the paraglide feel and can’t explain the difference but it’s there. It’s like a paragliding wing talks to you and the nuc is silent. It just fly’s you to where you point it. Have a nap read the paper etc.

Brake pressure is the same on both.

Landing on 0 trim. The nuc comes in faster even as a 29m. I normally grab the top of the handles on both. You really need to do this with the nuc it does come in faster. Landing the Speed I grabbed the top of the brake handle (10kns now) and came in high. I pumped the brakes like I use to in Paragliding this allows you to almost descend straight down and it worked on the Ozone no issue. I would need more wind to try this on the nuc. The landing on the Ozone was really easy

Would I change a Nuc 26 for a speedster 26….. At this point I would not. I however I bought the Nuc a little bit bigger then I need and I wanted a wing that I can free fly and motor. I’m going to take it free flying in the next few weeks. I’ll take some pic’s and maybe a video.

In my opinion.

agree

not sure

yes, Speed like to move more

4. The nucleon is faster

agree

agree

agree

lol Yes, I want to take my speedster and use the nuc bag and riser bags

Agree you can never find them

yea not confirmed but it felt better. But I think that's where the nuc gets the speed