Polini Exhaust mod

Trickyh

HI All

I have a low hours Polini Thor 100 on my frame and I am cursed by the constant leaking of oil around the exhaust manifold.

I stumbled across this on the Polini Yahoo group and am wondering if it was a factory retro upgrade, or if the kit can be ordered from Polini/UK suppliers?

http://newsletter.polini.com/PI466.pdf

I have a local engineering firm who can easily do a neat job on the mod, I just want to know the best place to obtain the kit (for free preferably) :mrgreen:

HI All

I have a low hours Polini Thor 100 on my frame and I am cursed by the constant leaking of oil around the exhaust manifold.

I stumbled across this on the Polini Yahoo group and am wondering if it was a factory retro upgrade, or if the kit can be ordered from Polini/UK suppliers?

http://newsletter.polini.com/PI466.pdf

I have a local engineering firm who can easily do a neat job on the mod, I just want to know the best place to obtain the kit (for free preferably) :mrgreen:

yes you can get them from polini, mine came with the newer type on, no leaks, but I remember Vince saying they sell them.

Cheers Dave

I've emailed Vince to see if he can get his hands on one for me.

BTW

I've just fitted the float bowl carb with all the extra plumbing to the Polini.

Its one of those jobs that you just cant rush and take it step by step. The biggest problem I found, which isnt mentioned anywhere in the destructions, is the throttle cable is of a completely different type to the one used for the diaphragm carb. After a bit of head scratching, I managed to mod the original one to fit. I dont know yet if Polini can supply the cable as a spare (including the electrical throttle cut cable) but they want £80 for the complete assembly :|

It looks good (if complicated) when its all together. But I haven't had a chance to fly it yet. I'll probably post up a seperate 'how to' guide when I get back from my hols

Rich

:dive:

Cheers Dave

I've emailed Vince to see if he can get his hands on one for me.

BTW

I've just fitted the float bowl carb with all the extra plumbing to the Polini.

Its one of those jobs that you just cant rush and take it step by step. The biggest problem I found, which isnt mentioned anywhere in the destructions, is the throttle cable is of a completely different type to the one used for the diaphragm carb. After a bit of head scratching, I managed to mod the original one to fit. I dont know yet if Polini can supply the cable as a spare (including the electrical throttle cut cable) but they want £80 for the complete assembly :|

It looks good (if complicated) when its all together. But I haven't had a chance to fly it yet. I'll probably post up a seperate 'how to' guide when I get back from my hols

Rich

:dive:

Rich, Vince had the floatbowl mod on his, he can proberly tell you about his experiences running the polini with that carb, his number is 07932373570 if you wanted to chat to him.

My Thor 200 leaked out the exhaust as well the first couple of hours. It was running extremely rich with the stock jets in, now that I have the tuning sorted and leaner jets installed it has gone down considerably. What jets are you running?

Shawn

Hi Shaun ,

I ve got standard jets in...as supplied when new . For the first hour or so it seemed to smoke like a bugger and was chucking thick black spots out of the exhaust . I thought i d be into fresh jets etc , but its now running fine and clean .

The only niggle is when you fire it up , strap in , then when i come to get up...bend down...or generally jiggle about , the motor has a tendency to stall . Its fine in flight , but does nt like being tilted whilst on the deck .

I ve increased tick over but to no avail ?

Any ideas ?

So what size jets are you using ?

I m really pleased with fuel consumption ( 3ltrs hr )

Interested to know what you think ?

Thanks , Steve

The only niggle is when you fire it up , strap in , then when i come to get up...bend down...or generally jiggle about , the motor has a tendency to stall . Its fine in flight , but does nt like being tilted whilst on the deck .

I ve increased tick over but to no avail ?

Any ideas ?

I have the same thing, it's because it's the float bowl carb. I always blip the throttle a touch when bending down to pick up the risers.

Trick,

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I think I'm the first to import a Thor 200 to the USA, or at least I haven't heard anybody else running one yet.

I tried the stock jets, but they were way to rich and the engine was really loading up, spitting a lot of oil and had poor acceleration. It may have something to do with my fuel as I'm running 91 pump gas, highest octane available her in Kansas.

I have installed a 42 pilot and 140 main jet and while still a little rich its seems to be running very well. It now has snappy acceleration like a dirt bike and has been the smoothest paramotor engine I have ever used. It has more than enough power for my 200lbs., and I'm running a 120cm prop.

I had the same issue with it trying to die when picking up the risers, but this is just a side effect of the fuel bowl draining. One negative that I'm more than happy to deal with as the crab performes amazing everywhere else. I'm averaging 3 an hour on my 24 GTR with trims in various positions.

Side note, Polini recommends the engine run in the 230c to 250c range for several reasons. I'm running Yamalube 2r at 1.5 to 2.0% and temps stay around 240c and 260c when on max power for extended amounts of time.

If you need any tips getting the pilot jet set, let me know or if anybody else has any questions?

Shawn

No worries Shawn. Its good to have an active discussion about what is a popular motor :mrgreen:

I've heard that there's a different manifold available (but not sure where/who its from) which is neutral instead of angled upwards and is supposed to stop the stalling when you bend to pick up the risers.

I've still yet to fly mine and have set the main mixture at 1 1/2turns out until I get a chance to get it in the air. (thats with 97octane and 2%mix)

BTW

How do you tune it? Purely on plug colour? or do you use the fuel meter rig from Polini?

Rich