What does it feel like to ride one?

There can be some vibration as there is an engine on your back. A balanced prop helps things though.

You are usually doing about 30mph, so stick your head out the car at 30mph - it's like that.

Some motors are more noisy than others but I wear a headset which makes everything okay, especially when the ipod is on.

You won't notice all that stuff as you will be enjoying the view and looking down at your feet thinking "am I seriously hanging from some string and nylon!"

Have fun.

There can be some vibration as there is an engine on your back. A balanced prop helps things though.

You are usually doing about 30mph, so stick your head out the car at 30mph - it's like that.

Some motors are more noisy than others but I wear a headset which makes everything okay, especially when the ipod is on.

You won't notice all that stuff as you will be enjoying the view and looking down at your feet thinking "am I seriously hanging from some string and nylon!"

Have fun.

Best feeling ever !!!

Green fields with unobstructed view,

Man and machine plus paraglider too,

With apprehension and excitement mixed,

As pilot in command stands transfixed,

Upon the endeavour to achieve the goal,

Of leaving the ground and enlightening the soul.

The kit is all checked, the engine warm for action,

Lines taut it’s time to push on forward,

The wing rises quickly with exigency to fly,

The pull of the risers asserts its direction,

A few steps now are all that are needed,

Power, power, power the instructors shout heeded.

Feel the lightness of footfall advancing,

With each stride into the consciousness,

The level of determination is all consuming,

To keep the feet moving as gravity is beaten,

Now airbourne the apprehension is receding,

Flight is now yours, full with esoteric passion.

Cheers all,

Alan

I will never forget my first tow. I remember hooking up, my hart pounding. The teacher took the slack out of the cable and asked if I was ready. after swallowing my hart once again I managed to say "lets go".

The cable went tight and off I went. after I was 100m in the air I remember looking down and thinking "fuck me now what"

Second flight I found a thermal. the teacher asked if I was ok on the radio to fly a little this time I managed "hell yea". Straight to cloud base I went on my second flight. I can tell you this when I looked down that was the second "fuck me now what"

I can not describe the view and feeling at cloud base. You almost feel a little closer to god.

Cheers

T

Its a total rush of adrenalin!

The following takes 20-30secs approx

Do the ground checks (then do them again) Stand in position, pull the wing up, arms out!, gun the motor, Run like F*CK. Check the wing, all OK keep full power, keep running, little corrections, get light on feet, keep running, then a boot up the backside as you get lifted up as fast as you are moving forward, meanwhile getting scooped into the seat. Quick wing check.. S*it am i climbing fast enough to clear trees/houses/powerlines? Am I hanging on the brakes?? YES to climb, NO to brakes. All good, start a downwind turn and climb to 500-1000ft...... And Relax... :mrgreen:

Actually I never get a chance to relax... And for some reason all these mad pessimistic thoughts keep going thru my head...!?! Is the motor going to fail...? Is the wing going to collapse...? Has the wind picked up? Is it thermally...? F, me its bumpier than it looked on the ground! :shock: Has the wind changed direction.. ? How much fuel have I got...? Where's the landing field gone..? If it stops, where am I gonna land..? Was that a thermal or a collapse..? Are my karabiners still closed..? Whats my height..? Why is that light aircraft still flying towards me...? Am I high enough to use my reserve? :shock:

Then landing and relief of being back on terra firma... and a sudden need to be straight back up there again!?! :mrgreen:

But if you want to know what it feels like... its noisy, cold, windy, with high vibration, hanging off a bunch of string, which in turn is hanging off a bag of nylon in a fluid and ever changing environment... with the BEST VIEW IN THE WORLD! :dive: