A Gorgeous Evening.

Steve

I have just come back from flying in the most superb air I can remember, it was gusting to 12mph five minutes before launch but then it dropped to virtually nothing. Flying was like having a massage. Any turbulence off the peaks was like having a maiden gently waft me with a silk sheet. It was gorgeous.

Sod's Law, I only had a bit of fuel in the tank as I didn't expect to be up for long.

IMG_7701.jpg.bb1254356ec68f772cd2ba7783a

You should've been up earlier. Had a bostin afternoon in the thermals. Bit rough just after 1pm, but great flying across 4 flights till 830pm. Engine off for 20+ minutes a number of times. Even drained the batteries in the GPS. Great stuff!

Richard

Where you flying from Richard ?

Has Powick been cut ?

I get my motor back early next week.

Carl

You should've been up earlier. Had a bostin afternoon in the thermals. Bit rough just after 1pm, but great flying across 4 flights till 830pm. Engine off for 20+ minutes a number of times. Even drained the batteries in the GPS. Great stuff!

Richard

What are you guys getting on m/s in the thermals now? What was you max/min last run.

I'm cut off the mountains right now I have a newborn in the house. My wife has been really cool, the mountains are an hour either way and really to far. You guys know how it works, a little fly a little beer, lie to each other for a few hours..... lol next thing you know the whole day is gone.

Now the beach is only 15-35min away depending where I go. So I go almost every weekend to the beach and fly no issue. But I really miss the thermals in the mountains.

Looks like the rain is going away and the sun and 3-6kns is on the way for sat and sun! :mrgreen:

Cheers

Tom

Powick not cut.

Took off from a gravel track next to my local Clent field..... not a beginner option ...... Glad there was a decent wind. Glad your machine will be ready soon. Will keep a watch for the weather next week, but will need a decent field to use.

Richard[/quote

We do need a decent field ... No way am i doing knee high grass attempted take off again. Any ideas ?

Carl

Carl,

No ideas as yet. Always the same this time of year for most farmer's sites. My old site used to get the grass cut reasonably regularly.

Wonder if Jock / Phil J have any suggestions?

Tom,

400-600ft/min is normal on a good day in the UK. 200ft/min is a bit slow and tiring. 800-1200ft/min can be too much for some, but this is rare in the UK.

A UK record PG XC day last w/e and mainly due to the strength of the thermals, due to the relatively cold air at this latitude for the time of year.

Richard

Richard

Carl,

No ideas as yet. Always the same this time of year for most farmer's sites. My old site used to get the grass cut reasonably regularly.

Wonder if Jock / Phil J have any suggestions?

Tom,

400-600ft/min is normal on a good day in the UK. 200ft/min is a bit slow and tiring. 800-1200ft/min can be too much for some, but this is rare in the UK.

A UK record PG XC day last w/e and mainly due to the strength of the thermals, due to the relatively cold air at this latitude for the time of year.

Richard

Richard

Had to do some conversion

400-600/min is 6.7-10ft/sec 2-3 meters/sec

Yea 3 meters per second is a nice ride!

13-20ft/sec = 4-6meters per second are great for free flight. I have not hit these yet with the motor. Is there much difference having a motor on? Cant wait to try. I'm just a little cautious right now here. During the winter we get the rain then the next day it's 30deg and really quite unstable to head inland.

I was talking to a couple of the really good pilots here that where in the comp to the north in Brasil this summer they told me they both hit 10/11meter per second in the comp. Can you imagine? Man I was in an 6-7meter/per second thermal in Australia a few years back and never really have any craving to do that again. I cannot imagine 10 or 11 for the matter.

A ten is almost 2000 feet per min. Man that would be a crazy ride! You would be pinned in the harness for sure! crazy!