NOTAM's ?

Samuel

Hi,

On the safety front of the sport do any of you use NOTAM's in any way. It wont be long before i 'get up in the air' for the first time and i'd like to know if anyone uses this service and to what extent?

Ive heard that (regarding military flying) its usually safe to fly evenings and weekends, but for weekday flying you should call the RAF and they will breif your intentions to pilots and plan any exercises around your activity if possible?

Just wanted to know what other peoples opions are on this?

Regards Samuel

Hi Samuel

re Notices to Airmen (NOTAM) and mid week flying......

You should be aware of two new Aeronatutical Information Circulars:

AIC 91/2006 (Yellow 214) 20 July (pdf)

AIC 93/2006 (yellow 216) 20 July (pdf)

which set out the answers to your questions but basically you can use the :-

AIS Information Line for an accurate and up to date check on Temporary Restricted Areas, Emergency Restrictions of Flying and Airspace Upgrades ring the AIS information line on 0500 354802.

Restricted Airspace

and/ or;-

The National Air Traffic Services Ltd (NATS) provides navigational warning bulletins and aerodrome information via it's Aeronautical Information Service (AIS) website.

However, you‘ll need to register (free) with them before you can use the site.

And the Midweek Flying Notification Procedure is;-

call RAF Wittering on freephone 0800 515544 (Monday - Thursday 0700 to 2300; Friday - Sunday 0700 to 1700), or freefax 0800 389 2225, and give information in accordance with low-level Civil Aircraft Procedures (CANP).

Full details of this service are in Aeronautical Information Circular (AIC):

43/2005 (Yellow 167) 'Low-level Civil Aircraft Notification Procedures'

which is available from the AIS . The RAF then decide whether or not to issue a UKLB NOTAM. There have been, and probably will be again, occasions when a UKLB NOTAM is not issued.

This is not as daunting as it seems. You phone the number, preferably the evening before, and tell the helpful person on the other end of the phone where you intend to fly (site name and grid ref), between which hours. They then call you back to confirm details and give to you a reference number. In all but the rarest instances, the RAF will issue a UKLB NOTAM accordingly.

Example:

RECREATIONAL ACTIVITY

A - HANG GLIDING (Paramotor)

B - ST 187101 - UPOTTERY AERODROME, DEVON

C - 2 NM RADIUS

D - 19 NOVEMBER - 0900 TO 1500 (local time)

E - N/A

F - EXPECTED NUMBER OF HANG GLIDERS - 6

G - Telephone number of the site

H - DISCOVER AIR HANG GLIDING GROUP (Telephone number if different to that at G)

:D

Francis

Thank you for these replies! Yes there are some excellent sites showing NOTAM's, i have been using the ukga website (http://www.ukga.com/) its free to register and has a great visual representation. However I also check the NATS site aswell just to be sure :)

Thanks for a very concise answer Francis, its a great summary of the system and very helpful, it was the Midweek Flying Notification Procedure i was unsure about so thanks for clearing that up! As regards the airfield/location, i am flying from a farmers field on the edje of my village, will a grid reference suffice for the Midweek Flying Notification Procedure?

Thanks Again

Samuel

Yes a grid reference is fine (include the sheet letters) but a name is helpful for a frequently used site (sticks in the mind and can be searched on a database) .....so the name of the farm or nearest village within 2 miles, ora geographical feature named on the map (Sharp Tor, Vale of Wiley.... that sort of thing).

F

• 1 year later...
Thank you for these replies! Yes there are some excellent sites showing NOTAM's, i have been using the ukga website (http://www.ukga.com/) its free to register and has a great visual representation. However I also check the NATS site aswell just to be sure :)

Thanks for a very concise answer Francis, its a great summary of the system and very helpful, it was the Midweek Flying Notification Procedure i was unsure about so thanks for clearing that up! As regards the airfield/location, i am flying from a farmers field on the edje of my village, will a grid reference suffice for the Midweek Flying Notification Procedure?

Thanks Again

Samuel

ARGH - ukga.com has just gone from being free to £25 subscription !!! any other free and easy to read NOTAM maps out there ? the link below seems useable.....

http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/notammap.asp

• 2 months later...

Have been playing with various bits of software for displaying NOTAMs and NOTAMPILOT seems to be very easy to use and free (optional donation to charity). No need to publish instructions as the site contains all the info you will need.

Remember that the airshow season will be starting soon and it's essential to check daily to avoid airspace infringements.

screen shot

notampilot.jpg

Also useful if you fly in those areas is the Military Low Flying timetable which covers....

LFA 7(T) - Central Wales

LFA 14(T) - Northern Scotland

LFA 20(T) - the borders area of Southern Scotland and Northern England

Edited by Guest

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...