Cheap chinese radios revisited

alan_k

Since having a good look at the Vero UV-X4, and studying the circuit diagram and chip data sheets, I am now convinced that a number of different model all use virtually the same circuitry. All are dual band radios. There are slight differences to functionality but nothing to cause problems with PPG use.

One of the earlier models, the Baofeng UV-3R had only one display line showing frequency, but the following models all have a 2 line display, so you can see VHF and UHF/memory frequencies. See http://www.uv3r.com/ for more info on differences between models.

UV-3R MarkII Same step and power setting on both bands. Single 4 way plug for spk/mic, non standard pinout. Charging from USB outlet (5V)

UV-X4 Different step and power settings possible for the 2 bands. Same single 4 way spk/mic plug and charging from USB.

UV-3R+Slightly more ruggedised case. I'm guessing same step and power settings. Charging from drop in charger base as the battery also forms the back cover (different to previous two).

Speaker/mic is twin plug 3.5 and 2.5mm to the Kenwood standard.

As stated before the UV-X4 is available from a UK seller for £40, plus postage.

The UV-3R MarkII is available from the far east postage free for £26 or £28 depending on supplier.

The UV-3R+ is available postage free for £27, look in 409shop.com.

I have ordered a couple of radios, if I find anything different I'll post up on here.

Certainly stunning value for money.

Cheers,

Alan

• Upvote 1

Hi Alan

Nice post by the way, we managed to lose one of out icom radios last week when we where flying. So now I am on the case to get another vhf radio but its all new to me. I work as a broadcast engineer in TV but these radios are out of my scope. I found our icom's a pain to modify. I have a question have you any experience with the UV 5R

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baofeng-UV-5R ... 56494ba14b

Would I be right in saying they are all pretty much the same?

Waiting for your feedback then time for some spending..

Many thanks

D

• Upvote 1

Hi touch107fm,

I would first say for the price go for it!

The chipset will be identical to the other radios I mentioned. For the techies the whole dual band radio is one DSP integrated circuit and 7 transistors forming the signal path, plus the audio amp, yes just 1 chip and 7 transistors, unbelievable.

I haven't played with the UV-5R but looking at the specs it's identical to the other radios but uses a larger battery of 7.4V to give the greater power output of 4W. The others use a 3.7V battery so are limited to 2W.

The big difference with this radio compared to the others is the UV-5R has the on/off and volume control on the knob on the top of the radio, and up/down control of frequencies and menus on two buttons.

The smaller radios use the top knob as the up/down control, so you have to press the vol button before you can adjust the volume.

The software is slightly different offering a numeric keypad and more memories.

The 'A/B band independent operation' intrigues me, EDIT: having now read the manual you can select which band to transmit in when using dual watch, it doesn't default to the band being received.

A benefit in my mind is the twin plug interface (Kenwood standard) for the speaker/mic, the UV-3R+ also offers this, I have one on order so will check it out when it arrives.

Cheers,

Alan

• Upvote 1

Hi Alan

Many thanks for your response, I have just ordered the UV-5R will have to a few weeks as its coming from China. I let you guys know what I think of it when it arrives.

I do have a question I have being reading some of the posts in the section, I am due a new helmet as my old one is to small for me and has decided not work any more. I would love my new helmet to have the feature where I can play music and it automatically cut out when someone talks to me through the radio system.

I believe this is possible but I am not 100%.

The headset I am looking at it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Icaro-Skyrider- ... 2318c542c3

We have a lab in work where we can if needed to some re-soldering but I just don't know where to get the information and how to!!

Many thanks.

D

• Upvote 1

Hmmm, that looks a bit misleading with the wires coming out of the ear defender cup.

It specifically states 'no communications'.

The only headset that I know of that offers comms with music and/or phone input with auto switchover is the Microavionics > http://www.microavionics.co.uk/Paramoto ... dsets.html

It's the MP001 or MP001A.

Cheers,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Alan

Just received the radio in the post and overall I am very impressed at what I have got in the box. After about 10 min I had a good understanding on how to use it. I found the manual was fine I had no problems understanding the different features.

But.... there is a but when I plug in my existing headset into the unit not worked. The headpiece which came with the unit works fine but not my headset.

Then I realised that the connectors are different.

10-05-20128-35-54AM.png

Now i just read the other posts about the other Chinese radio and how people are having the same issue with connection there existing headsets etc, I take it I also need to make up a lead or connector to enable my headset to work?

Do you know anywhere I can buy a complete connector already made up. I am rubbish at soldering but if its what I got to do then I will.

If someone was to make a bunch and sell them on flybay now there's a good idea!!

Many thanks,

D

Hi, I've found the circuit diagram of the UV-5R and it looks like the speaker and mic connections are to the ring contact of the plug, i.e. the second contact, not the tip.

Try pushing the headset connector in only so far to make the tip of the plugs connect with the ring contact. If this works reliably you could maybe fashion a spacer to hold the plug at the right position?

Interested to see if it works,

Alan

Edit: I've just seen that the PTT contact is on what is normally the ground contact, bummer.

I wish they would look at more common connections before committing to the design :?

Looks like you will need an adapter after all :(

• 11 months later...
Hi Darragh,

I have marked up your plug photo:

[attachment=0]Kenwood Baofeng pinouts.png[/attachment]

The Peltor connections are shown to the Kenwood standard.

In schematic form the connections are identical to the plugs shown on the left of this diagram:

Kenwood_Puxing_BaofengtoIcomcopatibleheadsetadapter.jpg

Shout if you need more,

Cheers, Alan

Hey Alan

Just a heads up to say that I managed to get this soldered up and it works a treat, I will take some pictures of how it looks, overall very happy so much so I have ordered the UV5R +plus .

Thanks for your help on getting it together.

Darragh

I do have a question I have being reading some of the posts in the section, I am due a new helmet as my old one is to small for me and has decided not work any more. I would love my new helmet to have the feature where I can play music and it automatically cut out when someone talks to me through the radio system.

I believe this is possible but I am not 100%.

NAC_HORUS_PPG_zpsd91a0a2f.jpg

I bought the Horus helmet from "Light Touch Films" in the States I bought the cables for my Icom IC-A4 (older) and another for the walkie talkies. Both cables allow me to connect my IPhone to it too at the same time. When I get a call though on the other systems my music cuts out and I am able to hear.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm looing to make this adapter. But does the transistor spec make any difference?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Darragh,

I have marked up your plug photo:

[attachment=0]Kenwood Baofeng pinouts.png[/attachment]

The Peltor connections are shown to the Kenwood standard.

In schematic form the connections are identical to the plugs shown on the left of this diagram:

Kenwood_Puxing_BaofengtoIcomcopatibleheadsetadapter.jpg

Shout if you need more,

Cheers, Alan

Hey Alan

Just a heads up to say that I managed to get this soldered up and it works a treat, I will take some pictures of how it looks, overall very happy so much so I have ordered the UV5R +plus .

Thanks for your help on getting it together.

Darragh

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

I see from the dates that this post is a few years old now and I guess things have move on a bit? 

I am now using Midland G7 radios and looking to upgrade / change etc. 

Can anyone advise me on the current model / number of radios being used successfully these days?

I have Peltor cups fitted to my helmet with a splitter cable connector which may make it a little less hassle the change the radio end plug? I am thinking that my helmet supplier may be able to help me with the correct fittings once I know what new radio I have.

Thank to anyone to anyone for the advice.

Happy flying.

The usual problem with hand held radios is that the microphone gain is far too much when used in an environment like PPG.

I have successfully modified a pair of G7's for Christian on here and he says that they are so much better (like a different radio).

Thanks for the reply Alan. With my G7'7 I don't find it to bad if I let off the power. That's not always possible I know but I manage to get around it more often than not. I am not radio minded at all. The main reason of adding another type of radio is that when flying with others a few weeks ago they said that they were on 143.750. This was over my head and guessed I needed another type of radio to get on this channel? Please tell me if I am right or wrong? My thoughts were if I fly with these again I will need a radio to be able communicate with them? If so would it be a UV5R +plus type of radio?

sorry all I know my questions to some may seam silly but I am not into radio and just don't know the answers. 

Thanks again Alan. Now I understand a lot more. I have just gone and ordered a BAOFENG BF-F8+ Dual Band which I understand will do both and add a 3rd radio to my G7's ?? . My only concern with this new radio is that it has an auto vox, will it still work on the TTP button? As it's coming with a ear bud head set my guess is that it will? Do you or anyone have user experience with this radio eg pitfalls or advantages? Only thing left to do now is to order the correct fittings to connect it to my Peltors, hopefully via my original supplier??