A Stoopid Question About a Swing Arcus...?

bingreed

I hope perhaps some kind soul might help me...

Am currently looking for my first wing, for ground handling through to initial flights. Don't want to invest £2000+ in a new one yet, just to drag it around on the ground for hours on end, so secondhand it is.

Looking at a Swing Arcus 5, it's XL (rated 105-130kgs as a paraglider)

Notwithstanding the preference for replacement risers to convert it for powered flight, can anyone guide me on the all up weight range??? Have scoured t'internet but can only find paragliding weights quoted; understand the Sting is effectively the same wing aimed for powered flight, but there seems very little in common when it comes to weight ratings....

I weigh -ahem- 95kg, plus Bailey (30kg), wing (7kg), clothing/boots (10kg), camera/Kit-Kat/vario (5kg???) totals somewhere between 145 - 150kgs. 20kgs over the paraglider rating but I'm under power.....

So the simple question is: will this wing be suitable for learning to ground handle & fly with an all up weight of up to 150kgs, or will I die horribly? :shock:

(FYI I haven't discussed with my trainer yet - too impatient!)

Thank you in anticipation xxx

PS - of course, some kind reader might have an alternate wing they're just itching to sell me..........

Hi bingreed

A friend of mine has just decided to see off all his kit, PAP 1400 Ross 125 and a ITV Dakota 28 wing, not too sure what he wanting for it but am happy to pass you his details if you like.

PM me your details if you are interested.

Badger :dive:

Board at work again.... found this

With its DHV 1/1-2 (accelerated) rating, the Arcus 5 is the ideal all-rounder. Furthermore, its excellent glide and its good speed range are excellently suited to cross-country flying. It also has a very good safety margin, which make it suitable for learners. In the air, the Arcus 5 has a generally more compact feeling. The thinner material used for the A and B lines has put its speed and liveliness up a notch, without having any impact on its usual good-natured handling. The new wing allows the pilot to have great fun in thermals and cross-country flying but it is not at all demanding for less experienced pilots and beginners. Its' launch behaviour 5 is very simple and is perfectly tuned particularly for beginners. This makes it the ideal glider for a very wide range of pilots, from beginners and social pilots through to cross-country pilots. The Arcus 5 conveys a very well-balanced feeling during flight and has excellent ascent behaviour and good damping. This guarantees enjoyable thermaling and many hours in the air. The Arcus 5 far exceeds all other gliders with DHV 1 rating when it comes to performance and speed. Nevertheless the Arcus 5 has clearly more good-natured flight behaviour than pure DHV 1-2 gliders.

Specification.

22 24 26 28 30

Area [m2] 26 28 30 31.5 33.5

Pilot Weight excl. P/M[kg] 70-140 100-165 100-165 100-165 100-165

Speeds

V-min [km/h]

V-trim [km/h] 37

V-max [km/h] 50

Min Sink [m/s] 1.05

Colour Options

http://www.radparamotors.com/

Does not say paramotor weights exclusively

Might want to read this too

http://www.footflyer.com/Equipment/Wing ... _arcus.htm

Specification.

22 24 26 28 30

Why do I feel my waters have just been muddied further....? :wink: That in no way reflects your valued input s1buell_wl, just illustrates what a minefield this whole subject is.... so much conflicting information :roll:

Maybe it's my newbie ignorance, but these weight ranges cannot make sense, can they? Anything from 28 to nearly 34 square meters has the same weight range; anywhere from 100 to 165kg, excluding the paramotor itself...? Yet as "paraglider-only" the weight ranges increase as the surface area increases - as logic would dictate.

Am happy that the wing, in principle, is suitable: relatively easy to launch, relatively stable, relatively slow.... and a relatively cheap secondhand option too. But the question of the right/optimum size remains baffling, and a clear answer remains just as elusive.

I gotta lot to learn.

Specification.

22 24 26 28 30

Why do I feel my waters have just been muddied further....? :wink: That in no way reflects your valued input s1buell_wl, just illustrates what a minefield this whole subject is.... so much conflicting information :roll:

Maybe it's my newbie ignorance, but these weight ranges cannot make sense, can they? Anything from 28 to nearly 34 square meters has the same weight range; anywhere from 100 to 165kg, excluding the paramotor itself...? Yet as "paraglider-only" the weight ranges increase as the surface area increases - as logic would dictate.

Am happy that the wing, in principle, is suitable: relatively easy to launch, relatively stable, relatively slow.... and a relatively cheap secondhand option too. But the question of the right/optimum size remains baffling, and a clear answer remains just as elusive.

I gotta lot to learn.

It is confusing I agree.

In general you should be at the top end of the weight range for your wing. This will ensure good pressure inside wing and make it more collapse resistant in more turbulent conditions.

I fly a Revolution 28 and also a Revolution 30 and notice a definate difference in collapse resistance (wing pressure) on slow trim between these wings which are not that different in size. I weigh 105kg fly Fresh Breeze Sportix and often carry 21litres of fuel, oil tools instruments reserve ect ie very heavy. I also fly H&E 120 with 17 ltr tank, nil wind take offs are much easier on the 30 on H&E which is low on power for my weight but gets me up there ok.

Heavy for your wing is better in more turbulent air but faster on take off and landings.

Just to confuse you more, Pascal C Jones is about 110kg maybe (almost definitely) more and flys a Fusion 20. On a Bailey.

Laura turner (won't guess weight as its rude and may get me a slap) flys a mini plane 80 which is about as heavy as my reserve + flightbdeck and flys a Dudeck 29.

http://www.ppgcomps.co.uk/assets/files/ ... ficial.pdf

Regards.