Bob Bites the Bullet

bingreed

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Eleven days! Eleven whole days off work as Christmas and the New Year stretched out before me, eager to be filled with all manner of paramotor fun. Ground handling and powered runs and first flight adventures: lovely and lovelier and loveliest! Even allowing for the necessary distraction of Christmas itself, nothing could possibly stop me now.

The opportunity was upon us, my moment had come: I was ready :D

Two weeks of rain, gale force winds, sleet, fog, storms and squally showers later, and my patience was starting to wear thin – the weather this year goes from bad to worse! Dreams of running across fields on clear frosty mornings were dashed, replaced instead with indoor activities for the duration.

Now, nice as it is to spend all eternity with my in-laws (if one more smartarse asks “Have you flown yet?” I’ll swing for ‘em...), a return to work inevitably heralded calmer conditions outside, rekindling the hope of a weekend session.

And so to Rayne on a Sunday afternoon for a session with Alex at Foot Flight Paramotors. Although, as I left mid-Suffolk shrouded in fog I wondered if xcweather had got it right; however, a quick call to Alex in field suggested clearer weather in Essex, a little low cloud but acceptable visibility.

I was rather relieved to discover a quiet field, with just two other paramotor pilots (Jason & Paul) paddling across the saturated grass. Having cleared my chosen spot of excess water I warmed up with two or three ground handling runs with just a harness. The wind was borderline forward/reverse launch, but with a handful of A’s my favoured reverse was easily achievable, much as it remained for the rest of the day.

Next, unload and piece-together the Bailey for some powered runs; my shiny new decorators platform certainly gained some admiring glances! 8) After an exercise brief from Alex I strapped the motor on (too many mince pies so a couple of adjustments to the harness), warmed her up, and then clipped in to the Revo2 ready to go. Alex, mindful as ever to the all-important routine, reiterated the pre-flight checks (“toes to tips: laces, leg straps, etc etc...”) then gave me the thumbs-up for the first powered run of the afternoon.

A quick check of the windsock over my shoulder, then ease the wing up, steady with a little brake, get centred, no rush, use your ground handling to hold it there..... now a positive turn, maintaining pressure, walking forwards, all nicely balanced...... a quick look up, squeeeeeezing some power, not too much, just building momentum...... focussed on my “spot” ahead, trying to lean back against more power, all still nicely balanced, the wing is taking some weight now...... keeping hands up, still building power, building speed....... notice I’ve started “moon steps”, I’m all-but flying at ground level, feels fast but sooooo in control..... but I’m approaching the edge of the field now, start easing the power off, taking more weight..... killing the motor, jogging to a stop, and a final turn to bring the wing down.

It felt right, and it was right. As I stood a moment to catch my breath I tried to capture as much of this feeling as possible, to bank it, to recognise it and to learn from it. My God I smiled :D:D

The beautiful revelation: it felt exactly like I thought it would. Much of the training (and, more particularly, the playing in stubble fields on my own) has felt clumsy and frantic and tiring and bloody hard work. This was somehow different; sure I was out of breath, but the run felt much less exciting and rather more controlled, natural... and instinctive? Maybe, hopefully.

A happy walk back to the other end of the field, then the same set-up, pre-flight check routine and we’re off again. This time I got the wing settled & turned, but never quite broke through into the “everything’s going light” stage. Consequently I didn’t get leaned back enough, the wing never quite settled, I was working hard and achieving little. After battling halfway across the field I felt the wing falling straight back, so simply cut the motor and allowed the cage to do its job.

No harm done; a failure in that I didn’t repeat the sweetness of the first run, but a success in that I reacted correctly to a developing situation – once again the quality of Alex’s training proved its worth.

A quick debrief, then back from whence we came we go. The cloud was getting lower by now, and it was becoming quite apparent that actually flying this thing in these conditions was no longer an option. Hey ho, maybe next weekend...?

First things first, another powered run: set-up, pre-flight routine then with a steady squeeze on the A’s, up she comes. Steady on the brakes, waiting, getting central, steady, now turn and start moving forw..NO, IT’S NOT RIGHT, ABORTING NOW, KILLING THE WING, CUTTING THE MOTOR, TURNING AWAY, BANG! :shock:

As Edmund Blackadder once said: “I think the phrase rhymes with clucking bell”. No lines broken, no damage to the prop, but two cells with a neat cut through them, and some stitching pulled on a third. That’ll be a job for Aerofix then...

Luckily Alex had filmed the incident, so we watched and rewatched the evidence to see what I did wrong. And the general consensus is..... well, not much really. (If he posts the video online I’ll add a link so you can decide for yourself dear reader).

The wing had surged slightly and was moving forwards more than I was when it collapsed, plus it was of course pretty wet, so when it came down it came down quickly. It looks like the wind eased a little at the wrong moment too. I don’t think I had time to kill the motor before impact, and I guess if I hadn’t turned I would probably have caught some lines. The only factor we feel contributed was my initial turn, which was more “on the spot” that the progressive, pressure maintaining movement I had been taught.

Maybe this wasn’t enough in itself to cause the wing to move further forward, but with the extra weight of the wet wing and varying breeze... who knows? Certainly I’ll turn a little more prescriptively from now on! No great damage done, no howling error on my part – it’s just one of those things. No doubt there’ll be more in the pipeline.

As I packed everything away we chatted about the events of the day. Jason & Paul had enjoyed several flights and were clearly making good progress – Jason in particular had noticeably grown in confidence since I last saw him in November.

What better way to finish than a pint in the local, with more talk of... yep, paramotors! At the risk of over-egging the pudding, another huge thank you to Alex for his attention to detail and encouragement. In my book his attitude and approach are spot on, and I’m so pleased he has agreed to help me become a pilot.

Now, where’s that phone number for Aerofix....? :wink:

Sorry to hear about the damage to your wing, Bob. I must say I have always been wary of reverse launching with a running motor. I've not done a single reverse launch since my first powered flight (dictated by conditions).

Hope to hear you're back in business soon, and in the air not long after.

Thanks Pete, that’s very kind. I’m pleased to report that Aerofix have assessed the wing and have confirmed it’s a simple enough fix – just a lightly bruised wallet!

Having revisited the incident many times over the past week I still feel pretty pragmatic, but take full responsibility for what happened; I was trying to perform a powered run with a wing that was too wet, and I compounded this problem by failing to generate sufficient forward momentum during my turn.

I’m being trained by Alex to identify the correct time to safely abort; on this occasion I should have recognised the risks associated with the wet wing and “aborted” before even pulling on the A’s.

It would be too easy to think “the wind let me down at the vital moment, it wasn’t my fault”, but as the sole pilot in charge of my craft (even though I wasn’t actually planning to fly) I must accept responsibility and, more importantly, learn from the experience to minimise the possibility of a similar incident in the future.

So, no lasting damage and an important lesson learned. On the major plus side I have experienced the “moonwalk” and know that, with just the merest squeeze of the throttle I would’ve been in the air. Believe me, I’ve revisited the successful run ten times more than the wet wing breaker!

Soon my wing will be back from the very nice people at Aerofix and I’ll be back to Rayne at the earliest opportunity – can’t bloody wait!!!

Make you a promise Pete – this year we Bailey Boys will fly together :D

Bob

This is a superb blog. I "gave up" just before you started, fed up with the weather and with a machine too heavy for my back. BUT, itching to try again, tried on a zenith at Parajet this week and it was much lighter....

Alex is a superb instructor too...and I live only 10 mins from Rayne....

Maybe time to rethink methinks?!

Hell man, EasyMan, you've read this blog; you know what my opinion is! How far did you get with your training? Did you ever fly?? And what's with the weather worries???

Get back on the horse old chap. I firmly believe it's better to regret doing something than not doing something. You know that buzz ain't ever going to leave you; it's in your blood.

C'mon..... you know you want to :wink:

• 1 month later...

I was late, and I hate being late. I’d arranged to meet my trainer Alex from Foot Flight Paramotors at 10am and, having wasted 10 minutes finding my missing wallet, the sat-nav suggested I’d be there around 10.15am at the earliest. And, if that isn’t annoying enough, I’d just passed a mobile speed camera in a layby on the A14 while doing an indicated 80mph… grrrr, I know speeding isn’t acceptable, but it was starting to feel like this wasn’t my day :(

As I pulled up under the shadow of the golden arches near Weeley, Essex I could see Alex sat patiently in the window polishing off his Double Whopper Breakfast Horseburger. He looked relaxed enough, now I can also relax and start focussing on the important things in life.

After a coffee and refresh of the syllabus, we were joined by Gary, another wannabe pilot at a similar stage of training to me. Alex’s plan was for us to go to a local turf farm and, with a steady breeze and acres of flat grass, get us set up for a few powered runs.

When we arrived the breeze was indeed steady, just on the borderline between a forward or reverse launch; however, after a bit of kiting it was clear that forward was the order of the day – it just wasn’t quite there.

With a slightly raised heart rate I strapped the motor on my back and clipped in to the freshly fixed Revo2. (Top marks to Aerofix – you have to really look to find the repair). Alex was again pressing home the pre-flight routine, the all important checks; repetition aids learning, and it’s always reassuring to notice his attention to detail. I guess that’s what makes the difference between becoming someone who can fly, and becoming a pilot.

A quick final radio-check and we’re off. The wing comes up square & true, and the first powered run was a successful repeat of the moonwalk I last experienced at Rayne in the New Year. So far, so good! Alex was careful to stress in the pre-training briefing that, as always, I must remain in a position to abort at the first sign of uncertainty. My primary focus must be handling the wing; when it comes up I must feel what’s happening and react accordingly. The goal is a successful powered run, but that clearly can’t happen if the wing isn’t up and under control first: always fly the wing, the rest will evolve in due course.

Having two people of similar ability training together proved ideal; as Gary and Alex ran across the field I could catch my breath & prepare for the next run. Which, before I knew it, was upon us.

The second powered run was a repeat of the first; this is feeling more instinctive - everything is working together in harmony and, while it’s still knackering, the wing is now doing most of the hard work. Two down and I’m ready for the third… it was inevitable something would shortly go wrong, I couldn’t possibly launch the wing successfully three times in a row... but sure enough it came up straight & true again; good old Paramania! This time, once up to speed I allowed myself an extra gentle squeeeeze of the throttle, and for a few seconds I was truly in the air – to the grand altitude of five feet! My first actual flight!!! Although clearly short-lived, everything went in super slow motion. I remember consciously keeping my hands high and easing off the power so as not to cause the wing to surge forwards. Then a gentle flare and I was running to a halt.

Alex didn’t appear terribly cross, but suggested perhaps next time we agree on a powered hop before actually doing one! :oops: So we did: building on what had just happened, and focussing again on always handling the wing with the option to abort, I pulled the wing up (four in a row!), built up to full speed then “hopped” up to around 50 feet.

I have never listened so intently to a radio! We were straight into the wind and running true, so it was just a case of plenty of power until Alex gave me the signal, easing off then switching off for a proper power-off landing. Waiting, waiting... NOW a progressive flare and ready to take the weight. I’m still on my feet! :D

In my mind I had flared a thousand times, but it was still a relief to have successfully put the theory into practice. As ever I tried to gauge the correct pressure, to feel what the wing was doing above/behind me rather than a prescriptive “hands into position two/five/whatever...” and it worked; stayed on my feet and nothing broken – result!

Alex caught me up and appeared happy enough as I shook his hand, so we trudged our way back across the field and, while Gary undertook another ever-improving powered run, set up for another hop.

Strapped in, clipped in, A’s in hand, warm engine, last radio check, then pick my spot on the horizon & go. The wing coming up (!) evolved into the wing moving forward evolved into a moonwalk power run evolved into a second 50’ hop. This time I was drifting left towards the field margin, so instructions from the ground for a steady steer to the right, then a similar correction left back straight into the wind for my second power-off landing. Got away with it again!

And we got away with it at the third attempt too – though having flown almost the full length of the field this time, the return walk was getting pretty knackering! Don’t get me wrong though, I’m not complaining – it’s a nice problem to have!

As a few afternoon flyers arrived in the field Alex and I chatted through the progress made, and the prospect of my first proper flight. He talked me through the flight plan, and then took Gary’s motor and wing up for a real-time demonstration. I found this really useful, a tangible reference against which I could reaffirm my own flight plan. After a little admin involving signing off the syllabus, the opportunity struck me; Alex was happy I was ready, I felt ready and the weather was perfect. Remember, the first flight is just an extension of what we’ve already achieved – another evolution. Again Alex correctly identified the major key to the success or otherwise of my forthcoming performance: don’t focus on “I MUST fly this time”, focus on handling the wing, build momentum and it’ll all come together.

And so, after one failed wing inflation (there had to be at least one!), the following happened:

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

(I would be delighted if anyone can explain to me how to post YouTube videos so they can be watched on mobile devices... I suspect it's a rights issue with the music but it's pretty bloody annoying... oh, and it would be nice to retain the HD too - shot in HD, saved in HD, yet the YouTube quality is shocking :( )

Even now, several days later, I’m still coming to terms with what we achieved. And I genuinely mean “we”; it was a team thing, my instructor on the ground and in my ears sharing my happiness and relief. What a day of extremes! It mightn’t have started very well but it quite literally finished on a high.

I know this is just one more step along this path, no more or less integral to becoming a pilot than practicing ground handling or pre-flight checks on my motor, but naturally it felt like a watershed moment. It’s what the last eight months has been all about, and with a bit of luck it’s what the next eight months will be all about too.

Thank you again Alex, I can’t imagine going through this without your guidance and direction, and I very much look forward to my next sessions.

Fly safe – maybe see you up there..? :wink:

Bob

• 1 month later...

Time for an update...

How nice it would be to regale with stories of daring and adventure, countless fulfilling flights enjoyed as one with my machine, reaching new heights both physical and metaphorical. To have soared in the heavens....

BUMP. Back to reality it’s meteorological Groundhog Day: sleet, freezing temperatures and this incessant wind, day after day after day. I understood when I bit the bullet that paramotoring would be governed by that most fickle of mistresses, The British Weather, but little could anyone predict just how frickin’ long we would have to wait for even one flyable day to coincide with a weekend :(

However... xcweather.com suggested a potential opportunity; it was a Tuesday, but a carefully planned work appointment near home could bring me within a stone’s throw of my takeoff field, and with a bit of delicate jiggery-pokery I might just liberate a two hour window between knocking-off and sunset....

As the day in question dawned the weather looked less than friendly, but throughout the day it improved and by the time I left the appointment it looked just about ideal!

Operation Sneaky Bonus Flight: GO! :D

The car was already packed with all my kit, so it was straight to Uncle David’s wheat field. The wind was steady but not strong enough for a reverse launch, so I took an extra moment to set-up a perfect wing for a forward. Careful pre-flight checks (no cutting corners) then gently warm the engine before a couple of full-power checks. Must... keep... focussed.... anticipation is good, frustration is bad and desperation is downright dangerous! Rely on your training to bring everything together.

As I wandered towards the wing I was struck by how many separate items have to come together at the same time to allow a safe flight: sure, the weather is a major at the moment, but also the machine being serviced, prepared and pre-flight checked, the wing being checked and impeccably aligned, fresh petrol I bought earlier in the day, a read through the NOTAMS on this website at lunchtime, paramotor battery charged and ready, Go-Pro battery charged and ready, memory card empty (!), a reassuring phonecall to my long-suffering wife, choosing the most suitable launch site (not too wet underfoot, suitable for the wind direction), a quick courtesy phonecall to the landowner, my Uncle.... and another courtesy phonecall to the neighbour to expect a bit of noise as I take off...

It takes effort and planning, no doubt more so due to my relative lack of experience, but the premise that you can just “turn up and fly” is far from reality just yet. But I don’t care what SuperDell tells me: I’m happy just doing it right, it’s a small price to pay.

So after a methodical few minutes preparation, and a moment reliving the launch procedure including abortive options, I took a step back and started my run:

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

It is testament to Paramania that my Revo2 launches so predictably. Once up I wound up the power and, focussed on the horizon, ran as upright as I could. A few visual checks on the wing before Mother Earth disappeared from below my feet... my goodness it felt good to be up again!

This flight, my third ever and second on my own, felt like a true epiphany: the natural culmination to months of training. For the first time ever I was flying for the pure joy of it, feeling completely in control and comfortably seated, and having adjusted my trimmers flying straight and true.

The biggest difference? I had time – time to enjoy the view, time to play with this and that, time to fly with both brakes parked, time to climb higher than before, time to drift back down, time to try flying at under 100’ (while maintaining a safe landing option at all times...), time to see people and my house and everything that’s important to me.

After about thirty minutes in the air I entered my final landing circuit just as the sun was setting. The last few moments were occupied by thoughts of “before or after” the electricity cables; I took the pilots decision and opted to land before, safer than hopping over but a longer walk back to the car.

But it didn’t matter. The landing was as near perfect as I’ll ever hope to do, and I don’t mind admitting that it all felt a little overwhelming and emotional once my feet were back on the ground. It wasn’t relief though - it was, for me, the perfect flight; technically everything went to plan, but I have now glimpsed the enormous rewards that await every time I strap on that motor.

I know in the future there will be frustrations and failures, breakdowns and let-downs, but I also know it will be worth all of those moments and more for the chance to experience a similar flight again.

So if you’re reading this and trying to decide whether to bite your own bullet or not... may I respectfully encourage you to go for it - what’s the worst that can happen? However, if you’ve already committed to training but find yourself struggling to pull it all together – keep going, the return on your investment could be life-changing and life-long.

And if you’re reading this having already experienced your own epiphany? It’s rather nice isn’t it? :wink:

, but a carefully planned work appointment near home could bring me within a stone’s throw of my takeoff field, and with a bit of delicate jiggery-pokery I might just liberate a two hour window between knocking-off and sunset....

Excellent forethought there Bob :D

The biggest difference? I had time – time to enjoy the view, time to play with this and that, time to fly with both brakes parked, time to climb higher than before, time to drift back down, time to try flying at under 100’ (while maintaining a safe landing option at all times...)

It's great when you don't feel pressured, you can just enjoy it :!:

your own epiphany? It’s rather nice isn’t it? :wink:

Nice doesn't cut it. Just think of the best ever experience and then some.

Go for it folks.

Cheers, Alan

Good writing and good to see you're getting some air time.

I've yet to make a flight completely on my own. There are a few PPG pilots in my local club and if a day looks flyable, we will contact each other and arrange to meet at the field. As it turns out, I've ended up being the only one in the air a few times, but there's always been someone else in the field when I've landed.

I guess it takes something more to just go out on your own and fly on your own. I must try it some time!

Awww... thank you all for your kind comments :D

I've said it before on here and elsewhere, and I'll say it again: I found a number of Training Blogs, and "Pete's Progress" in particular, HUGELY motivating. I read it again and again as I first dreamt about flying, then throughout my training.

So if, in turn, my ignorant mutterings encourage someone else to follow their own dream, even in some small intangible way, then it's A Very Good Thing Indeed. Plus, if nothing else, it reminds me of the progress I've made on my own little journey, and the mistakes I've made along the way!

And, for the record, none of this would've been possible without Mike Nunn & more laterly Alex Anderson at Foot Flight Paramotors near Braintree, Essex. These gentlemen helped me become a pilot, I owe them so much.

Still lots to learn though, so still lots to write about going forwards.... hope to catch some of you in a breezy field somewhere soon! I particularly hope to meet Pete and fly with him soon, he's not a million miles away.

Fly Safe, good people x

• 6 months later...

Well it’s been a while, have you got a couple of minutes while I update my training/learning/experience blog? Although to be honest from the start, there hasn’t been any further training, but I’ve learnt and experienced lots...

Since my last posts in April I have been lucky enough to log a further twelve flights. I feel getting in the air on average once a fortnight isn’t too bad, carefully threaded as these flights have been between the priorities of family and work, and the vagaries of the Great British weather.

More time off terra firma would be better, of course, but I constantly remind myself that this is twelve more glorious experiences that the vast majority of people can even dream of achieving. We few are truly blessed :D

Not everything has gone strictly to plan, of course; I can add a further five or six occasions where, despite sincere and prolonged attempts by yours truly I have failed to get off the ground. Sometimes these failures can be attributed to the weather, more often they were caused by a distinct lack of ability on my part.

However, “failures” is the wrong word; I have always learnt something, always enjoyed my time in the field, and always packed up in the fading light looking forward to the next opportunity to do it all again.

I have restricted myself to evening flights throughout the summer, though this has been no guarantee of gentle conditions. On one warm summers evening I noticed the wind at takeoff was a little variable, though little more than a breeze; indeed, there was only just enough for a reverse launch. But once up to around 1000’ AGL I was being rocked and rolled more than I had ever experienced: the first and only time I didn’t enjoy being in the air. Having quickly decided to return back to the field I noticed the windsock was near horizontal, nothing like it had been a few moments ago. Yet still the sky appeared entirely non-threatening.

On reflection, and thankfully back on the ground, I have absolutely no doubt I was safe, and that my trusty Revo2 was well within comfortable performance parameters, but it was a shock to the system to learn how variable conditions can become, even without obvious symptoms. Perhaps significantly the weather broke down later that evening, with building wind and rain moving in from the West. Note to self: beware snatching a late flight in just before a weather window closes :shock:

Then there was the occasion when I found myself in the air with one riser twisted 360 degrees. I won’t bother you with the reasons why – suffice to say I know exactly how it happened and I know I will never allow it to ever happen again... but (he said, desperately grasping for a silver lining to a very dark cloud) I calmly managed a rapidly emerging situation, brought her back around and landed safely in the original field. No point beating myself up over it, but a serious lesson learned from what turned out to be my shortest flight to date:

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

:oops::oops::oops:

While we’re confessing our sins, I should also purge myself of some hardware issues, namely one new prop courtesy of Morgy (classic “I think I’m up... I’m definitely up.... I’m not definitely up........ I’m definitely not up..... oh look, I’m ploughing...”) and one failed forward launch resulting in a relatively minor wing repair by Aerofix. Hey ho.

But for all the angst, concern, frustration and expense these occasions caused, they are all part of my own particular learning curve. With hindsight they were avoidable, or at least predictable, and if I (or you) might learn something from them, then they were certainly not entirely wasted.

And for every moment of angst, concern or frustration there has been a hundred or more of exhilaration, wonder, excitement, glory, pride, amazement and (on occasion) uncontrollable giggling. I feared the novelty might wear off, that the thrill of defeating gravity might become less amazing or even “normal”, but not a chance.

Flying at 2500’ over Mid-Suffolk at the weekend I could see the Blackwater at Mersea, the Colne, Stour, Orwell, Deben and Alde. I could see the cranes at Felixstowe and Sizewell, the beet factory at Bury St Edmunds, wind turbines at Eye and right along the main runway at RAF Wattisham. I looked down on the 1000’ Mendlesham mast, how many people can say they’ve done that?

But finding my place, both geographically and metaphorically, is only part of this joyous experience. I also saw my friend Jimmy lifting sugar beet, another friend Clare exercising her horse, and my best friend and wife Lucy and our children jumping and waving excitedly; these experiences are life-affirming and these memories will be life-long :wink:

So what’s next? There’s so much more to see and so much more to learn; I’ve only flown away from home territory once, so I guess the next level of experience will be exploring new areas. Also, to date I have only ever flown on my own; with the exception of my very first flight under the watchful eye of Alex Anderson, every subsequent set-up, safety check, takeoff, flight and landing has been solo.

Although I’m rather an introvert, and a shy one at that, and the solitude of flying is one of the factors that initially attracted me to paramotoring, I know I will experience and learn more by meeting up with similarly minded people. I also (rather reluctantly) acknowledge that flying with others will offer some reassurance that my kit and techniques remain safer – which may address those niggles that I’m missing something obvious and life-threatening...

On the hardware front the Paramania Revo2 remains the correct wing for me, and I have never regretted investing in it, not for a second. The wing performs faultlessly and, for any given conditions, is much better at flying that I am. I look forward to the day when it doesn’t meet my needs, but that day is a long way off right now.

I’m also very happy with my trusty Bailey 175, which is proving both stronger and more reliable than its owner. She is now showing nearly 75 hours, but with regular maintenance (and paranoid oil changes) just doesn’t miss a beat. However one day, before too long, I would ideally upgrade to a newer machine offering more thrust; I simply cannot lose weight and remain steadfastly and stubbornly rooted to “somewhere slightly North” of 15 stone. Takeoff and climb out can be rather a long affair, particularly in light winds of course, and a little more oomph wouldn’t go amiss... though quite how I’ll finance such an upgrade remains not dissimilar to Churchill’s “riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma”.

So to summarise, paramotoring has become everything I dared hope for, and more: I’ve got my very own personalised “Google Earth” and I’m utterly addicted to browsing.

Fly Safe,

Bob x

Disclaimer: Paramotoring is inherently dangerous without suitable training and/or huge balls of steel. Paramotors can go down as well as up. Don’t run with scissors.

(If you’ve been affected by any of the above and would like to talk to somebody in confidence, call Alex Anderson of Foot Flight Paramotors on 07957 870837).

Hi Bob your blog makes good reading lol and memories come flooding back I have a couple of fields to fly from up your way and you are more than welcome to come fly from our local field just outside of Southend we are planning a trip up Norfolk way hopefully in the next few weeks if its not to cold you would be more than welcome to join us.

PM details if interested

Neilzy

• 6 months later...

It’s been a strange old winter hasn’t it?

When this blog was last updated I was looking forward to frosty, bright, cold early mornings, to wrapping up and defying the elements, to heavy dense air and sunny midday flights over snowy fields...

But it simply didn’t happen, at least not in my corner of East Anglia. We barely had a frost to speak of, and the omnipresent Atlantic fronts and associated winds made for a mild and wet few months stuck on the ground. All work and no play make Bob a bored boy... though it did give me a chance to properly service the Bailey :)

However, eventually the weather calmed down, the evenings started drawing out and aerial opportunities arose. The question is: how much have I forgotten???

Fast-forward to 16th April and I’ve been blessed with four additional flights:

• Flight 16 – a short confidence builder around the parish, just 30 minutes to lose a few cobwebs

• Flight 17 – an hour mooch down the A14 corridor waving at girls in cars

• Flight 18 – 45 minutes around the parish including some low level passes over fields

• Flight 19 – commute to work! My first “proper” XC; 39 miles in glorious (but cold) sunshine

Yesterdays commute was just one of those silly ideas that starts as a seed of doubt but eventually germinates and grows into a why-the-hell-not. Having planned the route (largely as the crow flies but skirting some restricted airspace) and with a full petrol tank I was in the field and set-up ready to go by 06.30. Unfortunately the forecast 7-9mph northerly was actually a 1-2mph westerly; what should’ve been a relatively straight-forward, slightly downhill reverse launch became a nerve jangling, slightly uphill forward launch :?

BBTwitter_zps04682fde.jpg

First attempt: not nearly enough commitment, the wing barely got up due to my releasing the A’s far too early. The second attempt was much better, if anything I over-compensated and had to brake to prevent a surge, then never quite recovered the situation.

The third (I allowed myself a maximum three attempts) was a mixture of determination and brute force; I still released the A’s a little early, but the momentum was there and after a frantic run including a small left/right correction I was up, up and away. I still need to lean back into the thrust more, not helped on this occasion by the slight uphill run.

Got settled, let the trimmers out and went for it! Climbed steadily to 2000’ AMSL but it was damned cold up there so dropped a little lower again. With the Bailey on half throttle to maintain altitude, and with a side/tail wind, I peaked at 41mph ground speed, covering the 39 miles in a shade over 70 minutes.

Commute15042014_zps64a870ef.jpg

It was a glorious flight, made all the more so when I passed a traffic jam and I wasn’t in it! In the history of global adventure & exploration I know it doesn’t rate too highly, but personally it was just one of those mountains than needed climbing, and to have done so on such a bright, sunny day, with the rapeseed coming into flower... well, it was just another reminder of how lucky we few truly are.

ApproachingBalsham_zps47e98d92.jpg

Now that is a commute to work!

LintonSite15042014_zpsb3e60900.jpg

Having landed in a wheat field near work (with the farmers permission) I wandered into the office like any normal day, all nonchalant and serious. Think I lasted 30 seconds before having to tell someone! Fortunately my wife was willing to collect me and the kit at the end of the working day – having burnt exactly half my fuel with a tailwind I could never have flown home.

This is the first time I’ve landed somewhere different to the take-off field. I’d planned the route so navigation was simple enough; I did have the GPS in front of me but opted to use just the compass and airspeed functions combined with landmarks to find my way.

MrLathamsWindmills_zps5db1bb3a.jpg

So having survived nearly five winter months without flying it’s reassuring to be safely back into the groove. However, there is no doubt my low wind take-offs can be improved; the understanding is there but the technique is rusty, so I plan to spend a session with my instructor Alex Anderson at Foot Flight to improve my success rate.

I must also get out of my comfort zone and hook up with some other pilots! I appreciate my relative inexperience should be more of a reason to seek the company of others, not less, but I remain anxious not to hold anyone back. I can’t rid myself of the instinctive notion that all our flying time is precious, and the last thing anyone wants is to be waiting for the newbie when they could be off having more fun on their own or with other more experienced pilots.

Maybe I’ll just keep improving quietly by myself :roll:

Fly safe good people x

Bob,Great blog entry, I just wish I was posting the same sort of thing. Epic journey to work! I felt similarly when I managed to fly back the 30 miles from the training field at Membury to the field near home in Pangbourne. It felt like a big milestone, but since then, in January only managed one pootle round the training field.

Great, beating the traffic jam. Happy Days!

• 3 weeks later...

Bugger.

Thought I'd go for a lovely afternoon/evening mooch on Saturday, XC to see some friends who are renovating a crumbly old house. Thoughts of a few aerial photos for their scrapbook and a lovely couple of hours in the air for me.

All set-up on some bare soil with a full tank of petrol, downhill run into a 5mph breeze; perfect. Forward launch number one, the ever-reliable Revo2 came up very quickly, I dampened with some brake but hadn't generated enough forward momentum, overdid the brakes and killed the wing. Grrrrrr.

Figured a reverse might be possible, so set-up again, this time facing the wing. First inflation proved it was marginal reversible, but if I timed it right should be ok. Next inflation was struggling to get her up, kept on the A's and moving backwards I stumbled and started to fall backwards, twisting as I killed the motor.

As I sat there swearing, I thanked my lucky stars I'd managed to kill the motor in time. However, quick checking over everything I found this:

20140505_184820_zpsac157f21.jpg

I must've been soooooooo close to avoiding damage, only one of the blades is affected. As you can see it's just shaved a couple of mil from one side of the tip; you can barely see it looking from the other side, but it's there sure enough and needs sorting and sorting properly.

I know it's a relatively straightforward repair, but I have zero experience in these matters and don't really know who to turn to. Any suggestions dear reader????

:oops::evil::( etc etc etc.................................

Sorry to hear about the prop. Difficult to say without seeing, but it does look pretty superficial, you may need to do no more than build it back up with a bit of resin, sand it back, and spray a bit of paint if that leaves the balance out.