Parajet quick release prop

Although I didn't get to fly at the Cheshire fly in, I did get some inspiration for a quick release prop.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find the process of fitting the prop a bit tedious, not knowing if I've tightened the bolts equally, losing spring washers etc etc, plus concern that the constant use will weaken the threads.

So! I've developed a quick release system for the Parajet prop.

Following a similar principle to another manufacturer that declines to sell unless buying a new machine, I've developed a retro fit device that makes the fitting of the prop a single bolt job.

It provides even distribution of pressure throughout the face plate, is tightened with one Allen bolt, and has a safety pin to prevent it coming loose.

It's easy to retro fit, and also gives a bit more prop / cage clearance which has to be good news in itself!

It's all alloy CNC machined, stainless steel pins etc and il have pictures of it fitted within about two weeks and is currently to fit the 3 blade prop although I would consider other variants, even other Paramotor setups if the interest was there..

The full kit will have a cost of £80.00, but if I could get an order for 10 together I'm sure negotiation could take place with the supplier.

The question is, would anyone else be interested?

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing the proof will be in the viewing. Obvious question is why ParaJet haven't done it themselves but I'm just stating the obvious. Be interesting to see what they've done with the Zenith.

There's also the safety aspect too (don't want it coming off mid-flight). But, Don't let my questions put you off there's bound to be a market.

best of luck with it.

Al

I'm guessing the proof will be in the viewing. Obvious question is why ParaJet haven't done it themselves but I'm just stating the obvious. Be interesting to see what they've done with the Zenith.

There's also the safety aspect too (don't want it coming off mid-flight). But, Don't let my questions put you off there's bound to be a market.

best of luck with it.

Al

I did ask Parajet if they could / had any plans to make a QR prop, and nothing was planned for anytime soon, but of course once made il send one to Parajet, I'm not after a profit here, just want to make things easier for myself, and if that helps anyone else in the meantime then great, I dare say Parajet or any other manufacturer could make one a lot cheaper....as they have the equipment necessary.

Of course safety is first, and il be all ears and welcoming suggestions once the prototype is ready.

• Upvote 1

Following a similar principle to another manufacturer that declines to sell unless buying a new machine, I've developed a retro fit device that makes the fitting of the prop a single bolt job.

It provides even distribution of pressure throughout the face plate, is tightened with one Allen bolt, and has a safety pin to prevent it coming loose.

Couldnt help but smile - my v5 prop quick-release described perfectly!

Nige

Couldnt help but smile - my v5 prop quick-release described perfectly!

Nige

Lol, yes... The bailey version is very inspiring!

Now what a coincidence!!

I was just talking about this very same idea on Saturday with a certain dmwood from this forum..... :wink:

He may be interested, myself drives a hightop van, so no prop removal issues.

Would still like to see a piccie though?

He's not wrong.. I am interested!

I actually lost a bloody spring washer while we were talking about it at the weekend! :shock:

Mind you I was fingers and thumbs ..and feet... all day.. Enzo had a right laugh at my expense I am sure.

But yes yes yes..a good idea me thinks.

I was not going to mention the washer!!

Just wondering how far it will push the prop out from the hub??

But you did enjoy my love swing Darren....... :o

It will space the prop from the reduction by around 12mm

My rotron is already using a 10mm spacer to keep the prop away from

The reduction drive because it gets very hot!

Would it work with a wooden prop?

Cheers

Stu

Hi stu,

If yours is the 6 pin version then yes it should fit, but I will check my old single carbon prop to make sure, I know that the reduction is smaller so I will check stud spacings

But once I have Thë prototype it will be able to be adapted for any machine I think... Prop needs to have 25mm hole in centre though

Thanks

Mark

Would it work with a wooden prop?

Cheers

Stu

Hi stu,

If yours is the 6 pin version then yes it should fit, but I will check my old single carbon prop to make sure, I know that the reduction is smaller so I will check stud spacings

But once I have Thë prototype it will be able to be adapted for any machine I think... Prop needs to have 25mm hole in centre though

Thanks

Mark

Yip, it does have the 25mm hole, but uses the smaller hole spacing on the driven pulley (with the smaller holes too).

Not an issue really, I would just get the next prop with the proper holes! The reduction is determined by the size of the pulley not the holes. My pulley has both hole sets on it.

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...
Did the idea get any further?

As the thread seems to have 'stopped'!!

Hi

No, it's very much alive... The prototypes have been completed and the final revision, patents being applied for...

But at present I'm in discussion with a third party

Watch this space on Thursday next week... All will be revealed!

I'm pleased to say that After talks with Parajet, the new retro fit quick release prop will soon be manufactured and sold by Parajet

As far as I'm aware with a couple of tweaks by Parajet, there will be versions available to fit most engines!

Il repost once I know it's available to buy

You will love it!

I'm pleased to say that After talks with Parajet, the new retro fit quick release prop will soon be manufactured and sold by Parajet

As far as I'm aware with a couple of tweaks by Parajet, there will be versions available to fit most engines!

You will love it!

I think you should make some prop covers and show Parajet, maybe then i will be able to buy some.

Oh and cage bag/covers while your at it.

Fair play for your hard work, i have a van and my Macro goes in set up, otherwise i'd of been 1st on the list :D

• Upvote 1

You will love it!

Thats the price doubled then!! :shock:

Prop covers would be a good idea.

You will love it!

I think you should make some prop covers and show Parajet, maybe then i will be able to buy some.

Oh and cage bag/covers while your at it.

Fair play for your hard work, i have a van and my Macro goes in set up, otherwise i'd of been 1st on the list :D

Lol, funny you should say that!

My friend made them months ago, cage covers that is, one for the top half and a separate one with 2 pockets for the lower halves, they are lovely faux leather with soft linings as we both have highly polished cages....

The only problem is that for us, they cost too much to make and then to be commercially viable,

I'm sure Parajet do one now????

Prop covers...... Probably the same.... It's unfortunate I don't have ready access to foreign manufacturing contacts as I'm sure they would cost peanuts,

It's just over here the low volume wouldn't make it worth while unless its ( as in our own case) something we really wanted and were prepared to pa

As or the price of the quick release prop, I cant say the retail price for definite but I can tell you that they are an amazing piece of engineering, and when I compare it to some of Thë mountain bike parts that I've just been robbed on ( watch this space!!) I'm sure you will agree that they are value for money.if the RRP we spoke about is kept, there will be hundreds and hundreds sold I'm sure. In fact, the RRP we spoke about was in fact more than some engineering firms quoted me just to manufacture part of it whilst i was in design stage.

Get one! You will love it!