Nucleon / Speedster

s1buell_wl

I've been kicking this idea around for a bit, ever since it's been out (the speedster) lol.

I've just recently bought a Nucleon 29m wing. This wing is rock solid great XC wing no question. Even if your a beginner this wing is a great fit. It seems like no matter the conditions this wing just hangs about you. Risers are a bit complicated for a starter but it takes about 5 min to figure out. Launching is also great. In flight the wing never squirms (this is love). What I mean about squirm is when you fly a wing and it feels like one wing end will jump forward then the other. I think this is more in the intermediate/advanced free flying wings.

However I love to play around some of the trees we have here doing some slalom etc. The 29m seems to be really hard to throw around. After a 1/2hour of this I normally need to land rest my arms and get some water.

Also I'm going to the mountains this week and buy the looks of my calculations I'm a under weight even if I use my heavy harness. Now I've flown light on wings before no issue unless it gets really thermic then you run a higher risk of experiencing some frontals and collapses etc.

Calculations:

The Speedster 28 weight 95-125

Weight Motor

Me 81

Cloths 2.5

gas (737.22 kg/pl) 3

Para motor (miniplane) 21

Glider 6.25

Total 113.7

Weight Free Flight

Me 81

Cloths 4

Harnes 3

Glider 6.25

Parachute 2

Total 96.25

The Nucleon 29 weight 100-130

Weight Motor 100-130

Me 81

Cloths 2.5

gas (737.22 kg/pl) 3

Glid 7.3

Total 114.8

Weight

Me 81

Cloths 4

Harnes 3

Glider 7.3

Parachute 2.6

Total 97.9

It looks like the 27 speedster would fit the weight range for both really nice :mrgreen:

I'm looking for you guys input on the pros's and con's of each. I would like to know some detail on how the Speedster feels during flight etc. I don't have a chance to test things here.

I can not comment on the Nucleon

But if you want a wing to throw around then i would go for the 26m you do not need to add the weight of fuel! You will be right at the top end of the 26m the 28 will be heavy when your light on it ( i know as i am)

Best thing to do with all up weight is to just on the scales with all your flying kit on as most people underestimate there all up weight. Not say you have got it wrong...

I have also had the chance to thermal the speed now and it does move around like a paragliding wing not as stable as the Nucleon. But if you paraglide i can 100% tell you you will love the speedster... Thermals like a dream. I flew in some rough conditions the other day for one of my record attempts and the wing never misted a beat. not one collapse but does need to be flown actively when on slower trim setting (like a paraglider wing)

It launches in no wind with ease spirals on the tip steering!!! :lol: and has a good turn of speed... I have never flown a nucleon but a mate of mine had a 29 nucleon now a 28m Speedster. he said the speedster wins hands down!!!

Why can you not get a demo??? Are you in a remote area???

• Upvote 1

26 eh?

Hemmmmm

I do come from paragliding. I have a gin (free flying wing) and when you pull 6-7" of brake you better mean it. On the Nuc when I pull the brake it almost touches my legs before I get good feed back.

I'm a Canadian living in Brazil. I'm thinking of Buying one and running both for a bit :mrgreen: . Then when I choose one I can easly sell the other. Being Canadian I don't have to pay the 60% import tax the government puts on all imported products.

Now lets talk 26 vers 28

Free flight would be great no issue

26 weight 80-110k

The Speedster 26 weight 80-110

Weight Motor Heavy Heavy

Me 81

Cloths 2.5

gas (737.22 kg/pl) 3

Glider 6.05

Total 114

Weight Motor Light Light (shorts)

Me 81

Cloths 2

gas (737.22 kg/pl)

Para motor (miniplane) 20

Glider 6.05

Total 109.05

Your right need to hit the scales.... lol Need to find a set, but on the heavy I know my weight bare and I added a 1k on the mini and 3k for fuel and 2.5k for colths. I normally fly in T,Shorts and shoes. unless I go for a thermal ride them pants, 500gram coat, T and shoes. not to much I like to keep it simple.

Now you said it moves like a paraglider wing in 0 to low trim (paraglider mode). My Gin "bites into thermals", no issues here. It has the square wing tips that give you a nice jolt in the ass when the come into contact with a thermal, no issue. What I have issues with is the left and right wing constantly over taking each other ( i like to call it squirming). So you constantly get the feeling the wing is going left and right. I've been on a few wings like this and hatted it.

Thanks for the feed back

T

Again you dont need to add the weight of the fuel!!!

I would not worry about flying over the top end by 4 kg's the wing will take it no problem it will welcome it.

you have a PM

Understand, just want to see worst case. Ok I will contact you just busy as hell at work.

T

Has anyone seen the Paramotor review on the speedster? Paramotor Mag August 2011

First point of interest

"With trimmers off and full speed bar we pulled on the brakes to see what happen. The wing seemed more pressured then other wings. Is this an indication the speedster is not a full reflex wing"

So we asked Ozone, "Reflex is a geometric characteristic of the profile and can not be expressed as a percentage.

Second

"We got the speedster up to 63km/h so its diffidently up there with other gliders but does not out perform the other gliders"

Speed bar

"This can be used through the entire trim range".

Is this because the wing has a different reflex profile or is it the way they apply the speed bar like Dav Dagault's newly developed setup?

I don't have a speedster YET, but I would love to see how the speed bar is applied across the risers!