The costs of Paramotoring for a new starter

So here comes another newbie question. My hope and intent is that the collective knowledge of this forum can combine to provide some meaningful answers. Again, being a newbie, I’d suggest that the output is placed as a sticky somewhere easy for those interested to find.

So my question relates to the start-up costs of paramotoring. While it’s pretty easy to trawl the internet for the main parts (motors and wings) I’m still not clear on the recommended starter kit list.

My guess to date is:

Training

Wing

Engine – Frame – Harness

Reserve – Yes I know there is some debate but I would personally put this down

Clothing – Suit, boots, Helmet and gloves

Instruments – Compass, Altimeter, Watch, Mirror.

Map – Air charts.

Fuel – Containers and funnels. Mixing kit.

So I think that’s about for the generic list. I know costs vary so I put my expected costs below. I’d be interested to hear if people feel these are reasonable.

Training: Ranges from around £700 to £1500.

Wing: After a Beginner wing (I’m 95kg naked), nice and stable with easy launch, control and land. I'm happy to change in a year or so I feel the need. New I’m guessing around £2,500. I am looking at second hand max £1500.

Motor(inc Frame and harness): I guess I need some trust since I’ll be around 150kg all up. New I would say around £4000. Given I’m and engineer with a history of working on go carts, I believe I could get a good rig for around £1000 with £200 to service it up.

Reserve: Well you don’t see many second hand that will take 150kg so I guess full price new is the only option. £500

Clothing: I have a motorbike helmet I can use – Will that work? I also have the latest fabric winter motorbike gear so I guess I can use that if needed. Cost new ? for me nothing (I Hope)

Instruments: I would guess you can get all of these for less than £100. I have them already 

Map: These are around £15 I believe.

Fuel – I already have the various container but again I would say £50 to £100.

So all up I guess my budget to be around £4000. What have I missed and what seems unreasonable.

Darrel

So here comes another newbie question. My hope and intent is that the collective knowledge of this forum can combine to provide some meaningful answers. Again, being a newbie, I’d suggest that the output is placed as a sticky somewhere easy for those interested to find.

So my question relates to the start-up costs of paramotoring. While it’s pretty easy to trawl the internet for the main parts (motors and wings) I’m still not clear on the recommended starter kit list.

My guess to date is:

Training

Wing

Engine – Frame – Harness

Reserve – Yes I know there is some debate but I would personally put this down

Clothing – Suit, boots, Helmet and gloves

Instruments – Compass, Altimeter, Watch, Mirror.

Map – Air charts.

Fuel – Containers and funnels. Mixing kit.

So I think that’s about for the generic list. I know costs vary so I put my expected costs below. I’d be interested to hear if people feel these are reasonable.

Training: Ranges from around £700 to £1500.

Wing: After a Beginner wing (I’m 95kg naked), nice and stable with easy launch, control and land. I'm happy to change in a year or so I feel the need. New I’m guessing around £2,500. I am looking at second hand max £1500. Buy a new wing, for peace of mind. There are 100's of sharks out there with dodgy items for sale. They have limited life, so buy a good one and it will last you 400hrs+

Motor(inc Frame and harness): I guess I need some trust since I’ll be around 150kg all up. New I would say around £4000. Given I’m and engineer with a history of working on go carts, I believe I could get a good rig for around £1000 with £200 to service it up. Fair enough, but talk to an instructor before you buy motor or wing. You'll need to find the best one that suits you.

Reserve: Well you don’t see many second hand that will take 150kg so I guess full price new is the only option. £500 Not an immediate priority, you could pass on this initially and go for a reserve later. As a student your instructor should only have you flying in near-perfect conditions anyway.

Clothing: I have a motorbike helmet I can use – Will that work? I also have the latest fabric winter motorbike gear so I guess I can use that if needed. Cost new ? for me nothing (I Hope) Get a basic helmet, they're cheap enough. Motorbike helmet could be OK but may be a little restrictive. You should get a airsports rated helmet, preferably one that can accomodate ear protectors- essential.

Instruments: I would guess you can get all of these for less than £100. I have them already  Buy a good GPS, with altimeter. Otherwise you'll only need an altimeter to fly legally in the UK

Map: These are around £15 I believe. Yes

Fuel – I already have the various container but again I would say £50 to £100. 2Stroke mix around £12/litre... usually a 2% mix or so, depending on motor

BHPA membership will be around £90/year. This includes insurance- which is a pre-requisite for most flying sites

So all up I guess my budget to be around £4000. What have I missed and what seems unreasonable.

Darrel

Hi Darrel,

Your list is a good one.

There are some good low hour 2nd hand wings about but really it's having confidence in the seller.

If for instance it's one of the regulars on here you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I think £1200 is too little for a motor. With your all up weight you are going to need a bit of power, the newer models of engine tend to have more umph. Say about £2500.

As Gordon says don't forget the ear protectors. Peltor Optime III are under £20.

I bought a variometer off ebay for £100.

5 and 10 litre petrol containers are cheap enough, buy a different colour for PPG use. A 230/250ml baby's feeding bottle is accurately marked and ideal for measuring 100 or 200 ml of 2 stroke oil.

Cheers,

Alan

Guys,

Thanks for the comments and feedback. Of course I’ll run everything past my instructor before I buy anything. I realise my limitations so will always seek knowledgeable advice.

Wing: While I would love a new wing, my thinking is that I’ll only need a beginner wing for a limited time. Given this and the fact that I would hate to be hit for a shed load of depreciation, I’d look at a good second hand one. Again I accept that knowing and trusting the history of the wing is key. I guess getting it checked and certified (tested) is a must.

Motor: I’d be interested to hear what people think about this. Again I assume that some it will be down to the wing I get. Is there a typical thrust that I need for 150kg? As I mentioned before I’m very good with the spanners so I’m hoping I can find a good deal but accept that £1200 may be a little light. Again, there’s no way I can go new but is £2,500 the cheapest I’m looking at?

Reserve: Great feedback. Thanks. I’ll have to discuss this with my instructor.

Instruments: I have an electronic compass / altimeter. I’m guess that will be ok for now until I decide to venture a little further. Then it’s a GPS.

Ear protectors: So how loud is it? I ride very loud motorbikes every day (over 100db). Is it louder than this. Actually I think my hearing is already shot due to the aforementioned riding.

Thanks for the comments so far. Everything helps me in progressing. I guess a lot depends on my instructors advice and the risks I’m willing to take. Saying that I do like to live on the edge, I firmly believe you only get one chance to enjoy the moment so better make the most of it.

Darrel

Darrel, you will most certainly need something to reduce the noise levels!

Either some decent fitting earplugs (silicone, not foam) or ear defenders - Peltors are good.

Or, some custom fit earplugs from Ultimate Ear (I use these for shooting and when touring on the bikes), my bike ones have moulded in speakers.

Tinnitus is not good fun.........

I personally would never fly without a reserve (and a well rehearsed routine of how to use it).

I understand it is less necessary when learning and doing circuits at a low height, I never had one when doing my CP for paragliding.

This importance has driven home through watching two friends use a reserve very successfully after a collision.

Just my opinion (and I only have 14 hours / 26 flights)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am "getting the bug" for paramotoring, after watching one near where I work a few weeks ago.

I have spoken to several pilots, and will heed their advice, before taking the plunge and buying the necessary equipment. (after training of course)

I was in the process of drawing up a list of what I would NEED to go flying, with a wish list of other items to follow.

I found this link, and straight away realised it was pretty much a mirror image of the list made by Darrel, I just hadn't got around to pricing things, so a big thank you to all who have replied, it's taken a lot of calculating off of my "to do list"

I guess that from now on I'll be checking these pages regularly.

Andy

Andy,

Good to see my work is a little use at least. Must admit that some of my original assumptions have proven incorrect. While I'm sure you could do it all on my original budget, I've decided to up the budget a bit.

I've purchased a new wing and being a larger guy have invested in a new Dudek Syth 34. I should be getting it later this week. I've also figured out that I need an motor with some punch, and a decent frame, which means the cheaper second hand smaller motors are off the list. As mentioned earlier, £2000 to £2,500 seems more sensible.

I've also decided that I need a harness so I can practise some with the new wing. They all seem to go for silly money so I'm on the hunt for one I can beg steal or borrow. Anyone???? Please PM me.

So that and a good, high thrust, Low hang point motor are next on the list.

Great instruction from Simon over the last few days and things are progressing well. Fingers crossed I'll be enjoying the season soon.

Darrel

Andy,

Good to see my work is a little use at least. Must admit that some of my original assumptions have proven incorrect. While I'm sure you could do it all on my original budget, I've decided to up the budget a bit.

I've purchased a new wing and being a larger guy have invested in a new Dudek Syth 34. I should be getting it later this week. I've also figured out that I need an motor with some punch, and a decent frame, which means the cheaper second hand smaller motors are off the list. As mentioned earlier, £2000 to £2,500 seems more sensible.

I've also decided that I need a harness so I can practise some with the new wing. They all seem to go for silly money so I'm on the hunt for one I can beg steal or borrow. Anyone???? Please PM me.

Great instruction from Simon over the last few days and things are progressing well. Fingers crossed I'll be enjoying the season soon.

Darrel

Hi Darrel, I see you are in enfield, I am in potters bar and have a free flying harness thats been sat in my garage for a while, you are more than welcome to borrow it for some ground handling.

I think Morgy has a Bailey on ebay at the moment wich dont look like a bad deal.

Andy,

Darrel

Hi Darrel, I see you are in enfield, I am in potters bar and have a free flying harness thats been sat in my garage for a while, you are more than welcome to borrow it for some ground handling.

I think Morgy has a Bailey on ebay at the moment wich dont look like a bad deal.

Outkast, What a star. Thanks for the harness offer. I'll only need it for a while. My wing is not due until the end of week. When it turns up I'll drop you a note.

Thanks

Darrel