paramotoring sunday 11 march

robindeakin

nick, sorry you diidnot get to fly with us, i must have missed your text, we packed up around 3.30pm because we were all flown out

we had three 1 hour flights, each flight heading off in a different direction

did you try eastside beach, how did you get on?

one thing i did notice was at 2.30pm there were two paramotors with yellow wings, came along the cliffs from brighton flew over newhaven and returned towards lewes, wonder who they were? and where did they launch from? robin

Hi Robin -

Thanks - I got there as fast as flu-ed up wife would allow, but I thought it might be too late for you..

I managed a 50 minute flight out to the east towards beachy head. - perfect flight, very calm conditions and really enjoyed playing around the cliffs. Conditions were perfect for some low flying too, so did some of that in farmland away from anyone / anything.

One stupid thing I did was not to inspect the take off well. I took off on the field just south of the railway line as I had taken off fine (facing west) there before. I got off first time but it was a crap / long take off run as I was having to correct my wing on the ground and just made it over some raised ground. On the other side of the raised ground was a massive river / lake which I did not know about - if my motor had died at that point just after take off I would very likely have drowned.... I hate putting my life into the hands of the engine (although its arguably better than putting my hands into the life of the engine :-) )

Next Time I will ALWAYS check what kind of area I am taking off into - and abort earlier if needed....

Will give you a shout next time ... Cheers

Nick

Hi Robin -

Thanks - I got there as fast as flu-ed up wife would allow, but I thought it might be too late for you..

I managed a 50 minute flight out to the east towards beachy head. - perfect flight, very calm conditions and really enjoyed playing around the cliffs. Conditions were perfect for some low flying too, so did some of that in farmland away from anyone / anything.

One stupid thing I did was not to inspect the take off well. I took off on the field just south of the railway line as I had taken off fine (facing west) there before. I got off first time but it was a crap / long take off run as I was having to correct my wing on the ground and just made it over some raised ground. On the other side of the raised ground was a massive river / lake which I did not know about - if my motor had died at that point just after take off I would very likely have drowned.... I hate putting my life into the hands of the engine (although its arguably better than putting my hands into the life of the engine :-) )

Next Time I will ALWAYS check what kind of area I am taking off into - and abort earlier if needed....

Will give you a shout next time ... Cheers

Nick

glad you were okay, that site has its risks to the south is the tide mills river (which you found) and to the north the railway thats why we sometimes find its better to pay farmer to use his fields

every free site has its dangers we have not found anywhere free which is large enough without obstacles to avoid, yet!

lots of people saw you flying, i have had several reports but contrary to popular belief, they enjoyed watching you

be in touch soon, robin