swingarms

miniwing2

I have recently fitted wheels to my pap1100as weight 10 kiloes.Ihave hung it with me onboard to get the cage angle and thats fine but have noticed the swingarms are pointing up quite steeply. would that be as a result of the increesed weight i can,t get my head around it or is that normal :?:?:?:

yea wheels held on with ducktape and the odd bolt.it looks the part will be flying it on amedium wave if all goes well will be looking for a second hand synth .but would still like to no if the swingarm is a big issue i don,t no how they are suppost to sit .i welcome your thoughts :?:

YEA im sure your right morgy it,s on the right hangpoint hole for my weight and the bit ive added is of equal weight either side of the harness hang point the problem area is the difference between the hangpoint of the trike and the hangpoint of the harness .something is telling me i need to move the weight forward.anyway will have anoyher play with it and keep you posted .NEILZY will be interested in that synth if i can get this show on the road cheer,s guy,s :cry:

HI PTWIZZ yea i have added wheels so that i can take off seated nill wind + other advantages not haveing to hump a motor around .using a paraglider wing i tend to fly i lighter winds = not got youth on my side anymore :( MORGY i think your on the case ive got a couple of old hangglider backup straps that i will put around the swingarms then hang it hopefully giving me a rough idea where to drill the hole i am takeing bet s its in the wrong place cheer,s :D

Eh im with you Pete this is sounding more like a disaster in waiting, Miniwing what are you actually doing and whilst i like your style and tongue in cheek explanations you need to so careful in what your doing drilling holes etc in the swinging arms is not to be done lightly and it does sound a little risky what you are trying to achieve, mate just be careful last thing we all want is accidents!!!!!!!!

Hi Miniwing,

If you are taking off only using wheels (as per a trike) and cannot demonstrate that the machine is still foot launched, then you are no longer a Foot Launched Self Propelled Hang Glider and will require a NPPL N Microlight Trike license (including equipment registration).

Do you have that already? If so, ignore the above. If not, please ensure you look into it officially. To convert across isn't too expensive but will require certification. There are several instructors in the UK that can do this for you.

(There is currently a debate raging between several groups about the classification of a paramotor that CAN be foot launched but also has wheels...I'm not getting involved with that here, as it requires people arguing the spirit of the law versus the exact wording. If in doubt, go with the wording!)

If you have added wheels behind you, on the frame, and devices out front, then you will have changed the balance point for the machine. Your best bet here is to make a hang test rig (some straps or rope hanging from a horizontal branch of a big tree would suffice) so that you can clip in (with engine not running) and test how your machine hangs before taking it into the air.

Drilling holes in swing arms isn't recommended without first speaking to the manufacturer. Manufacturers aren't evil...give them a call or email if you are concerned.

But just to reinforce my earlier point....Please don't start flying a trike without a license!!!!!

All the best,

I'd agree- dont drill the swing arms.... any inherited weakness on the system will end in disaster should one of them break.

If nil wind launches are the problem, then work on your technique- may take a little while to perfect, but will be worth it in the end.

Half the problem with nil wind launches is just commitment- you need to be determined and focused, and going into it with the attitude that it will work.

GD

Gordon couldn,t agree with you more.i used to run down hill with the wind to take off years ago. will try altering the leg straps the seat is trying to push my legs from under me cheer,s So befor the heavens open up i,d like to put minds at rest, there will be NO acceidents resulting from me flying a modified factory produced paramotor,there will be no holes drilled into swingarms and i won,t be undertakeing any elegal flying wheels e.c.t. and i extend thoes sentiments to all manufactures and test pilots who have spent hundreds of houres trying to make the sport safe Iam proud to be part of a sport that i think is still very much in it,s infancy but what makes it exiting is it,s pioneer all over again. It fills me with the same exitment as it did when i first took to the air in 1980 in a highway 160 super scorpion haveing flown hanggliders .so at the moment the project has been shelved untill i see what happens about the wheels bit and can only hope my group d micro licence is sufficent although slightly lapsed and morgy i have sussed it .it works like roman scales happy landings :D

DAVE

• 5 weeks later...