Outkasts new Nucleon

alan_k

Hi Dave,

See you are upgrading to a Nucleon, I presume you have test flown one.

What did you find were the differences to the Revo 2, particularly that makes it such a quick upgrade?

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Al, not flown one yet as I only decided to change today, been thinking about it for a while since reading the reviews online, and since I have been talking to and flying with Clive on his I have been most impressed with it, especially its economy, we did a big XC today and althought it was not faster than my Revo when both on full trim, it used a lot less fuel, the revo 2 is nearer the synth in performance.

from speaking to clive the nuc does everything my Revo does but better.

just need to find somone with a demo wing now. :D

Sounds like a good move with the price of fuel keep going up.

I looked at the price of an electric PPG recently, expensive but looking long term, over say 500 hours of flight (life of battery pack), you would save about £4000 on fuel costs. And that's at today's prices.

Good luck with the Nuc.

Cheers,

Alan

Sounds like a good move with the price of fuel keep going up.

I looked at the price of an electric PPG recently, expensive but looking long term, over say 500 hours of flight (life of battery pack), you would save about £4000 on fuel costs. And that's at today's prices.

Good luck with the Nuc.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks Al, I think thats the key to electric flight, the battery technology for longer life is proberly still too expensive to for manufacturers to make a profit at the moment, or I should say to make it appealing to the potential buyer, once someone can come up with a battery that gives a better return then we may see electric PPG become more common place, the tech is there but its just too expensive at the moment.

Dude,

For some people 45km is a decent XC. To be fair much past that for no reason other than an XC I find quite boring.

You were at that place once don't forget dude, I can remember the first time I flew 20 miles!! I was buzzing my tits off for weeks! lol

SW :D

Dude,

For some people 45km is a decent XC. To be fair much past that for no reason other than an XC I find quite boring.

You were at that place once don't forget dude, I can remember the first time I flew 20 miles!! I was buzzing my tits off for weeks! lol

Agreed, I would be quite happy with that at the moment.

If you don't push your limits you never learn anything new :wink: Plus i only count it as a successful xc if you make it in one piece!!! :wink::wink:

If your getting cold then your wearing the wrong clothing or not enough.

If your getting cold feet then try..... Wooly shepherds I have not had cold feet since. I saw them on country file a while ago

http://www.woollyshepherd.co.uk/felted- ... bootliners

Worth every penny of the £5

I feel qualified enough to say that massive XC flights are about the slowest way to learn new things with your glider.

With the exception of building general confidence.

It's easy isn't it? just sit there, keep and eye out, check the map, and look for interesting things.

I guess it's very much a case of each to there own, but for me personally I have to have a reason to fly big XC flights these days, mini expedition, filming, charity gig and so on...

There is more to an XC than just sitting there looking out for reference points and looking on a map. Especially if your with friends. You also need a better understanding on weather if your using the land and wind to soar. Then theres thermals to prolong you fuel. Using a cloud street can save you a massive amount of fuel.

All of this take practise. There is also landing out and choosing a suitable landing spot. Is it near a road fuel station etc etc.

I do like to stay local and have a low level flight. But the challenge of a good Soaring XC ranks high on my list.. And in my opinion you do learn more than just flying around your field....

There is more to an XC than just sitting there looking out for reference points and looking on a map. Especially if your with friends. You also need a better understanding on weather if your using the land and wind to soar. Then theres thermals to prolong you fuel. Using a cloud street can save you a massive amount of fuel.

I try to save fuel in my van, because its a van :-) Never once did I contemplate saving fuel on my motorbike ;-)

I can see where your coming from though, ( your paragliding days ) but I put it to you that you are in a small % of PPG pilots that have a desire to fly in thermic conditions. ( thats why we have paramotors :-) )

All of this take practise. There is also landing out and choosing a suitable landing spot. Is it near a road fuel station etc etc.

Come on dude?? picking a field.... not that challenging to be fair....

Again though, I know what you mean. You can make it as hard for yourself as you like. I don't enjoy that to be honest. Nor little comps to see who has the most fuel left. I would be more into a comp to see who could have the most fun with there fuel :-)

I do like to stay local and have a low level flight. But the challenge of a good Soaring XC ranks high on my list.. And in my opinion you do learn more than just flying around your field....

As I said, each to there own. My comment comes from flying 800 miles up the country, 500 across the Sahara Desert, and teaching just about every day for the last 5 years. People have different views based on there experiences in life, and indeed my views have changed over the years as a result of new experiences.

we did a big XC today???????? 45km's :lol:

Morgy, we were not out to break any records or impress others, we wanted to fly to another site and visit the pilots there, share a brew and have a bit of banter, all the time enjoying the company of our flying buddies and having a nice flight on the way.

all of the above we achieved, wich in my book makes the weekend a great success, I am sure the others feel the same.

sure both myself and Clive did some damge to our motors but they are just material things and can be replaced, memories last a lifetime.

When I got into this sport it was to enjoy the freedom of the air and at the weekend I did just that. :D

I have one (Nuc), I’m not sure why some people we will not mention his name (as he’s ban from most places) cannot launch this glider.

I have to give you guys some background. I move quite a bit for work. I was just recently in Brisbane a few years back where I gained my certification HGFA for OZ. I then started to free fly. For those three years in OZ I just started to enter into comps as a wind dummy…. But I prefer Air Technician lol.

Shortly after entering the Comps for the region I moved to New Cal. The only thing we could do there was ridge soar and you needed nerves of steel. In this place the wind went from 3-7kn – to 20-25kns in 3.5 sec. You really had to pay attention to the water and weather every second as you fly. Too make matters worse as the wind picked up you started to lose landing options (landing spots started to produce lift). Last option always was a 50X50 parking lot with lots of lights. Needless to say I took up kite surfing as a second sport. The mix was nice. Low wind fly, high wind Kite Surf.

Anyways I then moved here to Brazil. Going to the mountains is a two day task most times and I got tired of it. But over the past few years I’ve always thought how good it would be to just go to the beach and depending on the wind pull the right toys out.

So I bought a Nuc as my first Paramotor wing. Now I know a few people are going to give me shit here but training resources where limited. I trained myself to Paramotor. I tried to find some teachers here but language became an issue etc. I did find one in Sao Paulo but I would have to pay for flights, rooms etc. But I will say I put myself through I think a more ridged training program then I would have received from a school here (including books and movies). Man…. I seen two guys go up for their first flights having only 1-2km/h penetration (I guess just to complete the flight part of the course). I have not seen them after in the past few weeks. This also was the school from Sao Paulo. I’m glad I did not invest in them.

Anyway I have the Nuc as stated before, it's an XC glider for sure. I wish it had more performance. But I see the guys cutting some cool moves. I have not got the hang of the balls yet. I did however change the length of the brakes and this has helped a bit (buy instruction of my reseller, too get good performance you should have no more than 3” applied brake before the wind starts to deform). From the factory they are way too long, its setup for free flying and maybe a bit of safety factored in. I think I’m going to take another 2 inch off them. With neutral trim the Nuc takes a strong arm to spiral. Again I hear the balls change this (next plan of attack is the balls plus brake at 0 trim).

Launching: Why would anyone complain about launching? It gets overhead once there run…… add throttle, it’s that simple. The dude in the video that hates these gliders needs some more practice to refine his launching talents. He obviously has not figured out this skill.

Landing: come in fast, bleed some speed, heavy flare…. Tip toe touch down. But, first time you land this coming from non-reflex glider you will be coming in faster than you ever imagined.

Trim: is simple and great

Torque adjustment: don’t need have miniplane

Speed/Sink rate: for XC great! Man I was easy 30k from take of in snap of the fingers on +3 trim. Max trim for the way back at times half speed bar just to play.

Yest the wind picked up to a point where the free flyers dropped and I had 0 penetration. Reach up and trim to +3 and you can actually feel each side of the wing speed up as you trim. The speed is great. There is someone here that said they can fly with the hangers and I now believe. Full reflex with full speed bar is…….. wow

Stability: great the last flight when the wind did pick up I was getting bounced around to the point of wondering how I was going to set this baby down. You ever had those flights where it feels like the harness seat is not under one cheek of your ass as you go through the bumps? That was this flight. The glider never did anything but fly as brake input was applied. Landing come in fast, ignore the bumps, flare no issue. I’m guessing if I had my GIN glider I would have had my hands full. These gliders could really build confidence for sure.

I cant help but feel that i need to fly this glider more "active" as my GIN demands this. It does not seem to need this, I keep watching looking, looking, watching. Nothing just sits overhead.

These reflex gliders are a whole new game that’s for sure.

Edited by Guest

Interesting read - BUT I'm a bit concerned about your brake shortening (and resellers advice) ....

True with fully closed trimmers the Nucleon has long and quite soft brake travel - you could easily confuse this with lack of performance and want to shorten brakes for more acrobatic moves.

Problem is that extra length is there for a reason and is needed when the trims are fully released and you are on speed bar (the effective length from risers to trailing edge is longer) so any brake shortening could distort the reflex profile and make it unstable at fully fast speeds.

Before making any adjustments, get used to grabbing your balls ! :wink: They work brilliantly and open up a whole new range of performance and sharp turns.

In fully slow closed trim you can always take a wrap for sharper handling (to remove the excess brake travel). In this instance I think it is best to trust the designer and not mess with the certified set-up unless you truly know what you are doing.

I have one (Nuc),

That's spot on!

Get your experience up with the ALC (balls). I tried them recently and the control was fantastic.

My wing, a ReAction, is pre-ALC but I was so impressed I am going to add the ALC balls to my wing. The beauty with this control system is you don't loose the reflex profile and the stability when you turn the wing.

Cheers,

Alan

Interesting read - BUT I'm a bit concerned about your brake shortening (and resellers advice) ....

True with fully closed trimmers the Nucleon has long and quite soft brake travel - you could easily confuse this with lack of performance and want to shorten brakes for more acrobatic moves.

Problem is that extra length is there for a reason and is needed when the trims are fully released and you are on speed bar (the effective length from risers to trailing edge is longer) so any brake shortening could distort the reflex profile and make it unstable at fully fast speeds.

Before making any adjustments, get used to grabbing your balls ! :wink: They work brilliantly and open up a whole new range of performance and sharp turns.

In fully slow closed trim you can always take a wrap for sharper handling (to remove the excess brake travel). In this instance I think it is best to trust the designer and not mess with the certified set-up unless you truly know what you are doing.

I'll add a bit about the adjustment.

In neutral "0" you have about 3" of slack before the wing begins to deform. I will check with him, for sure I agree if you release the trim and the brakes are deforming the wing in anyway you will negate/impact the benefits/ability of the reflex.

I've never been a ball grabber and feel that I'm being forced into an alternative life style that I'm uncomfortable with. However if it improves the performance as you say I will give it a go. :mrgreen:

Coming from free flying I'm still struggling with putting the breaks back on the magnets and grabbing the balls. I have to change the mind set "I'm not actively looking for unstable aggressive air moving up at 5+m/s). Its ok to let the brakes go..... use the balls luke!

I'll do a test next time up, fully release the trim and check the brake and canopy shape.

I have one (Nuc),

That's spot on!

Get your experience up with the ALC (balls). I tried them recently and the control was fantastic.

My wing, a ReAction, is pre-ALC but I was so impressed I am going to add the ALC balls to my wing. The beauty with this control system is you don't loose the reflex profile and the stability when you turn the wing.

Cheers,

Alan

Ive tried them in neutral and didn't get the feeling I was after (sharp bank). Now help me out here in "0" should I be using both the brake and balls right? I think in 0 you should use both yes/no? Or is it just to have your arm through the brake for safety (drop the balls and active fly if needed)?

I was in +3 using them and could feel more of a turn coming. I was figuring how aggressive I could be with them (how much pull did what).

Thanks,

T

we did a big XC today???????? 45km's :lol:

Morgy, we were not out to break any records or impress others, we wanted to fly to another site and visit the pilots there, share a brew and have a bit of banter, all the time enjoying the company of our flying buddies and having a nice flight on the way.

all of the above we achieved, wich in my book makes the weekend a great success, I am sure the others feel the same.

sure both myself and Clive did some damge to our motors but they are just material things and can be replaced, memories last a lifetime.

When I got into this sport it was to enjoy the freedom of the air and at the weekend I did just that. :D

Sorry Dave i was just pulling your plum's about your BIG XC..... Due to your and clive's little misshap!!!

My point is really if you do more of these types of flights IE XC flying to different sites you get an eye for landing in smaller sites with or normally with out wind sock. We offten just land on the downs for a chat choky bar and a drink then fly on some where else.

I am not doing records for any one else but me... I just thought i would share it with the essex Barracuda 's as i was challenged by vince!!! :wink:

At 0 (neutral) trim, you can use either brakes, balls or both together. Faster trim and balls start to work better but you can still use both. With full speed (and bar) it is safest to only use balls and not touch the brakes.

You can be as aggressive as you want with the balls as they only act near the tip so no risk of stalling the wing (but try it at safe height initially).

In +3 or higher trim I wouldn't bother holding brakes at all - just a good twang on the balls as needed ! :D

I followed a similar route of free flying and kiting first, so it felt a bit odd initially and I still prefer to fly actively at slower trim in very turbulent air, but any other time its mostly balls .....