Quick SynthesisLT and ReactionTST comparison

alan_k

A great afternoon at the strip, got my first flight of the month in.

I also got to try out a SynthesisLT, and very interesting it was.

There was NIL wind, both wings 29m2. I've had a lot of flights on the Reaction.

The Synthesis was definitely easier to inflate but tended to hang back a little, setting was full slow as there was no wind. Take off run slightly longer than on the Reaction.

The first noticeable difference was the roll stability, the Reaction has no roll, whereas the Synthesis rolled a little from side to side on climb out.

The second big difference were the ALC red balls, wow they were brilliant. The Reaction only has Tip Steering Toggles. The ALC also connects to outer line of the top brake line tier as well as the tip of the wing, and what a difference. Superb turn ability with little force required, definitely a big plus.

Tried the Synthesis in full fast trim also and shows a very good turn of speed, no measurements but I guess faster than full fast on the Reaction with no speed bar. A good 600 foot per min descent on full fast also.

A nice slow landing on full slow, I rather enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for that Stuart.

It was my first go with the Synthesis and setting it to full slow seemed to give a quicker inflation with zero wind.

I had another look at the lines on it today (it's not my wing), and realised I could add the ALC system to my Reaction very easily. Looking on the Dudek website it was first tried with a Reaction wing by Michael Carnet.

Anybody done this or think this is a bad idea?

Cheers,

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

I have just finished fitting the ALC (red ball steering) system to my ReAction wing.

I must stress this is NOT approved or recommended by Dudek.

I have bought two of the proper red balls but the tops off plastic sparkling wine stoppers make a perfect alternative.

I will try to have a test flight this week and report on the performance. :D

Cheers,

Alan

Whoo hooooooooo :!:

The ALC sytem works really well on the ReAction :D

I have made the lines too long (purposefully too long rather than too short to begin with) but the turning performance on fast trim is superb.

It is much more dynamic than the TipSteeringToggles so I had to consciously release the ALC more slowly. The first time I released quickly and got some roll oscillation :roll:

So much easier to pull a turn on fast than using the brakes.

Definitely a well worthy addition to the wing :idea:

Cheers,

Alan