Buying a secondhand motor.

kevtin101

Having looked and spent hours searching, i come back to that good old Fleabay site when looking at secondhand motors. Some have come round repeatedly and some fly(no pun intended). Would this be the way to go? On a budget it looks like the most likely for me as i want to get started and be in the sky. Any suggestions for where to look would be greatly appreciated, currently i am looking at Walkerjet and recently a bailey snap 130, any thoughts?

Thanks Kevin.

Kevin

I had a Walkerjet and wished it had a Simmonini engine. My cousin has one and has had over 100 hours ,reliable use, so far only needing a little weld on the exhaust bracket. They are powerfull, especially with the 130 prop, but the downside of that is that they do torquesteer to the right a bit.

If you are 14 stone and up, it might be a good first motor. The skids can be handy when learning. If you are lighter you might be able to utilise a lighter unit. The Walkerjet is 29 kilos (when fitted with the Simonini 200) A Top 80 Miniplane is 18 ish kilos and will get 16 stone off the ground (just)

ps. Get some lessons and go see what happens with others equipment, if you haven't yet

Dave

Ive been here before and thought is the second hand market the way, although sold a couple on Fleabay and to be fair they would great deals, but you dont know what you are buying for every great deal there is prob 10 Sh@t deals out there i went with the method that the last thing i want is to get over to a field and mess about starting and fixing my motor to fly. So i bought new, look on the classified section on here and get some lessons you will come across someone who has equipment for sale moving up the ladder etc at least that way you will have some history to go on it will pay in the long run.

I know of some gear for sale fairly new as well and at a good price PM me if you intereasted.

Neilzy

Kevtin101

Why not put that money towards a training course where all the kit is provided. That way you get good training with excellent kit and get some time in the air. It will also give you a chance to try different kit ie. wings and how they handle, motors and how the feel on your back etc.

As a pilot in training, I would thoroughly recommend you get some proper tuition.

I was amazed at the rate I learned from my instructors. There is a world of difference between being told or shown something and being taught.

While your local club in all probability has some excellent pilots, they may not neccesarily be good teachers.

A proper school will offer structured training and get you through you club pilot qualification. They will also have insurance and procedures for dealing with accidents.

Pete.