32gb sd card too cheap

tommcb6016

It's because its only a class 4 card.

For modern cameras that film in HD you need class 8 min to access things like slow mo filming. Most cannons need a class 10 to record video.

SW :D

Good luck to them :-)

They are just no good for modern cameras. ( OK for file storage I suppose )

The class 10 cards can read at 30mbs (about the same as a mid range HD camera sends out its data to the card)

I think class 4 cards are something like 8mbs (not even as fast as a go-pro sends its info out. ;-) ) when recording at

25fps.

EDIT (looks like the go pro records and sends files out at LESS than 8mbs :shock: and is happy with class 4 cards.)

That sure is poo, just about all TV stations have a minimum requirement of 20mbs footage unless used for less than a 2 second cut away.

I suppose in a nutshell, the lower the card class, the slower the camera can get rid of an image and take another on. Think of a decent card as an upgrade to your camera. -)

Have to agree Simon. Was just pointing out that legit sellers are selling at 4 times the price. Anyhow. Seeing as I'm not putting any footage up at the mo I reckons me b'cast quality days are a long ways off.

Surprising though as some of Chris terrills films about the booties is done using the go-pro footage.

Maybe when I get a decent camera I'll treat eat myself :-)

Al

Gopro

What size and type of memory card does the camera take?

The HD HERO camera supports SD/SDHC cards up to 32GB (any SD card over 2GB is considered a SDHC card). We recommend name brand SDHC cards with a class 4 rating or higher. The two cards that we mostly use in house, which work well are the Kingston and Patriot brand class 4 cards. We mostly use the 16GB class 4 card, as it gives you the most ‘bang for your buck’.

Ok so class four is the minimum but does that mean that you'll get better quality footage on say a class ten?

It depends on the maximum your camera can churn out.

Most slow mo stuff will look better on a class 8+ card for sure. As I say, cannon wont even record HD video on anything under a 10. (because the card can not store the data fast enough due to each image being such a high quality, it is also the same with the Sony)

I am just in the process of getting our Sony registered with the ITV so that it can be approved for use on the Nat Geo China filming. Latest info is (as of today).... the ITV will not accept any footage that has been acquired at anything less than 23mbs!! Class 10 is 30 max! That wipes out just about everyone. Luckily not us :-)