Which wing

Hi guys after a little advice I'm a complete newbie and currently have a silex medium wing not to sure how old it is but I got it as part of a package,I'm under the impression however it's fairly old and outdated although still crispy.

So I was looking at wings and was wondering what people would recommend I was looking at dudek synthesis or the paramania revo2 any feedback would be great,I weigh around 85kg.

Thanks.

Tim.

Hi Tim

I fly a Revo2 .

My previous wing was a Revo 1 .

The Revo s fly well and are safe as houses .

I m about the same weight as you , and my first Revo was a 28 . Lovely to fly if a little slow , so i went down to a 23 on the Revo 2 .

If i were you , i would go for a larger wing to get some experience on . You can still play silly buggers , but at a slower pace . :D

Good Luck !

Personally I think the Synthesis has superior handling and 'feel', with much more effective tip steering ..... but you would probably find equal numbers of supporters for either wing.

The Silex is a safe enough wing but a bit outdated and lower performance than the Revo or Synth. It should really get an inspection if you wanted to train on it, or just use it for ground handling practice.

Not at all. You don’t want a too light wing load.

The scale you should look at is the PPG. One this is your all up weight (you + paramotor + wing etc.) for the 26m wing the PPG rating is 80-185kg.

You should be in the upper 3rd of the weight so: 66% of 185kg is 122kg

If you are 85kg and you kit is 40kg your all up is 125kg making the Revo2 26m wing, the better choice.

Hope this helps

You don’t want a too light wing load.

The scale you should look at is the PPG. One this is your all up weight (you + paramotor + wing etc.) for the 26m wing the PPG rating is 80-185kg.

You should be in the upper 3rd of the weight so: 66% of 185kg is 122kg

If you are 85kg and you kit is 40kg your all up is 125kg making the Revo2 26m wing, the better choice.

Really ? By that reasoning would you not recommend the 23m size for a beginner since the (DGAC) weight range is quoted at 70-160kg ???? :roll:

If you speak to the Paramania team they will tell you the higher limits quoted for PPG are for experienced pilots or trike use, as the DGAC weight range is just a safe load testing.

The actual certification (EN-B) range for the 29 is 90-140kg and for the 26 is 80-120kg. Outside of these weight ranges is uncertified.

Since wing load has been mentioned, the optimum wing loading for the 29m Revo 2 is 4.0 kg/m2 (116kg all up weight) and for the 26m is 3.8 kg/m2 (99kg AUW). These are the flying weights where the wing is most efficient. Anything more and descent rates will be significantly higher than the specified figures, plus the motor will have to work harder, use more fuel and may not achieve level flight at full speed.

All things to consider when recommending "the better choice" of wing size, although there are other factors and personal preference to consider - I know some prefer to fly over the weight range for extra speed and more dynamic handling. The physics behind aerofoil design cannot be ignored however (particularly wing loading) and it is important to understand how differently the (29m) wing will behave at 90kg all up weight compared to 220kg (both DGAC "approved").

If possible you should try both the 26 and 29 sizes (and other wings) before purchasing.

Oh, and I speak from personal experience of owning a Revo 2 ...... :wink:

It sounds like you have made your mind up about the 29m wing.

I don’t think it will be long till you’re wanting more, my mate is 110kg (160kg all up) and flys the Revo2 29m, its slow even with his weight.

At the end of the day it’s your money so you buy the wing that suits you best

Edited by Guest

Thanks aquatix so really then I'm probably safer on the 29 which will give me nice slower landings which is what I want as a beginner I don't wanna freak out coming down and I'm not gonna be trying to do acrobatix on it I just want safe and steady.

I am 127kg all up and fly the 23m revo2, looking back at when I started out I dont think I would have any more problems launching or handling the revo2 than I did my first wing.

if you want to do a lot of XCs then get the bigger size as the sink rate on the 23 aint great :D

Dave

I started on a Silex M, also part of a package. I had mine inspected and it was manufactured in 1999 but porosity was excellent as the wing was little used.

Some advised not using the silex until you have around 50hrs under your belt. Others said it was fine as a beginner wing - just to go easy on the brakes when flying low as the handling is very responsive.

I found that it is easy to kite and launch and a joy to fly. I (was!) 85kg at the time. It will trim out to around 20mph which is fine if the average windspeed is under 10mph and bearable up to 15mph (which you probably wont be flying in your first year). That is without speedbar.

Your first wing may get some abuse, and really just needs to be easy to launch and slow on landings - which the Silex is. I have only now upgraded mine to a faster wing but on a nil wind day I would probably still go to the Silex as it is a great fun and is very light on fuel.

My advice is if it passes inspection, avoid wasting a load of money and use the Silex as your first wing and get a nice new wing after a year of flying. If you get enough hours in you might even make your next wing an intermediate one.

I'm 82k in a 29 Dudek Nucleon with miniplane, with no issues.

beginner paramotor

3 years free flight

I think the smaller glider more speed is an old school train of thought. But I'm new at it so cant really comment.

So on a 29 Nuc 100-130k all up I'm right in the middle. I cant see how you would go with anything else being 2 more kg then me.

Also I wanted the nice glide for XC, if I was ripping up the park I would have gone for smaller. But I think you can still rip up the park in the 29.

cheers

Some sensible posts and good advice above. For a beginner or even an occasional leisure pilot I think the ONLY safe advice is to follow the manufacturer recommendations (for pilot ability / intended market) and stay within the certified weight range.

Dudek are honest enough to post a warning on their website which differentiates between the certified weight range and the much higher, maximum allowable PPG weight for their wings: "()* Maximum allowable take-off weight for slaloms, acrobation etc. CAUTION: the paraglider considerably alters its behaviour depending on the wing load. Maximum loads require employing highest pilot skills." This is something I would like to see Paramania (and others) introduce to clarify their potentially misleading weight range (particularly on Revo 2).

Of course with experience some pilots choose to fly smaller wings which can be more fun and just as safe - the recent Fly Games in Las Candelas shows everyone competing on small wings.

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

and this shows the extreme of small wings, with a glide ration of 3:1 and speeds not far off Jeb Corliss in his flying wingsuit :

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]