Paramotor Training

slim

I prefer the "through hard-work to the stars" translation of "Per Ardua, ad Astra" and this morning it almost paid off.

I got to the field at about 07:15 and started setting up. Almost nil wind conditions which made it interesting for a couple of forward launch practices. Simon turned up at 07:30 and I got rigged up with my motor. On my first try with the motor I got my brake handle stuck in the throttle so that I couldn't give it full bore! Grrrrrrr.

The simple solution to that was to put the brake handle on before the throttle. Not a great solution in the long run but it'll do for now.

The second go was much, much better, soooooo nearly into the sky but the low wind conditions were not helping and I started to run out of field. I did get a moment of air under my feet but only a moment and I didn't have my brakes symmetrical so as I was trying to lift off the wing was trying to turn. Simple enough mistake.

The third try never came. We were all set but the wind had gone completely and I was hot and tired and beginning to worry about the meeting I had to make in central London so I gave up.

I'm much happier though. I think I've got over the mental block that was killing last week and now, with the goal so near to grasping. I'm all set. :D

Perhaps unfortunately I have to take the family on holiday soon so there may not be much activity for a couple of weeks but that should allow my bumps and bruises to recover.

Until next time...

Stuart

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuart,

Your tenacity is inspiring, you are almost there. Given a little time the brain is great at sorting things out - the break may well be constructive, if frustrating.

Out of interest, what size canopy are you using and what quoted thrust (in Kg) does your motor kick out? If you tell me your weight as well I can run it all through my tiny grey cells. No expertise here I can assure you, just curious.

I just looked it up, "Through Adversity to the Stars" is the official translation, quite apt isn't it? I can't wait for my bruises and mouthfuls of mud, no doubt I will prefer the enhanced view later and the rest post launch - or is that over optimistic?

Time will tell, I start on Friday - "Inshallah'.

'Hals und bein brukke"

I was once given an approximate rule of thumb that you should pick a motor unit with a static thrust output of 60-65% of your suited and booted flying weight (not including motor itself, wing and fuel). When I'm ready to get into my harness I weigh about 95kg and my Black Devil pushes out about 58kg of thrust (less than you might expect because I'm only swinging a 110cm prop) which pitches me at about the 61% mark. My climb rate is plentiful but the power is not so great as to open up the problems at the other end of the scale such as easier riser twists or unloading the wing under full power due to too much weight being carried by the thrust at high pitch attitudes.

Who's been looking for excuses? The buck stops firmly in my hands! Of course it could be my dodgy tutor :wink:

God is always willing, just sometimes not quite for the same things we are :lol:

With my Javelin and a 130cm prop I'm probably at the higher end of the 65% thrust to weight calculation.

On the other hand, given that I once broke my neck and spent a year with bits of plastic holding my head on and another 4 years wearing spongy collars, my body has a very highly tuned self preservation instinct. It will do what I tell it to do but it will kick up a hell of a struggle on the way. Never underestimate the strength of a lesson learned through pain.

I look forward to seeing your training blog Norman and good luck on Friday.

Stuart

• 1 month later...

Yeeeeeeeeeeee Ha :D

I have finally flown! What a ride!

Ok, now a more reasoned analysis of the day...

I've been really busy with building work at home and business travel for the last month so I haven't been able to get any quality time at the club for over a month now. Not great. I've hardly had time to do any ground handling practice either. September is often like that for work but having the builders at home made things really difficult.

Friday was my birthday and I've been re-wording and singing the old Leslie Gore track "It's my birthday and I'll fly if I want to" all weekend. This morning I got to the new field (fantastic site Simon - thanks Sally Anne) at about 9:45. A couple of people already there including a new student (hi and welcome). After a bit of ground handling to get myself re-aquanted with my wing I strapped on my RAD and after a quick pep-talk from Simon it was "go for launch" - or not. It started as a perfect reverse and I did actually get off the ground but I'd got my left brake significantly further down then the right so unsurprisingly everything went distinctly pear shaped in a generally leftward and downward direction. Fortunately my lightning fast reactions killed the engine before the prop made too much of a mess. Just a slight frilly bit on the end. Must get that checked by the local genius carbon fiber magician. Back to the flying - switch to slo-mo mode...

Set up for a reverse launch, build a wall, engine running. Wait for the wind, take a couple of deep breaths. Tug on the As, wing overhead, turn, power, run. Listen to Simon telling me to keep the power on. I have a nasty tendency to let go of the throttle. Keep squeezing the b*&^£y throttle. Keep the brakes even, a little bit more, a little bit more. Suddenly the pain in my nether regions indicated real lift! Skip a little to keep my balance and suddenly my feet are 5 feet off the ground, then 10 feet, then 15 - then I lost count 'cos the reality of the situation suddenly hit me. I was really flying! Something didn't feel right though. Simon had always told me that the torque steer would tend to turn me to the left but despite a lot of left brake I was definitely turning right, hard. Simon came over the radio saying that something was wrong and I should prepare to make a landing. My harness had slipped and the motor was hanging off my left shoulder like a drunken student holding on to a lamp post. Not good. Ok, height - about 50 feet, flight path - bushes and fences, keep the power on a little longer to make sure I'm over the obstacles. Right, clear field before me - the wrong field but still a field. It'll do. Cut the power. Start falling. Faster than I expected but not worrying, Simon on the radio again "brakes" - you don't say dude! Ground getting awfully close all of a sudden and, wait for it... flare. "Come on, come on, don't f*&k up, don't f*&k up" is going through my head. "Have to land better than Col." And then there it is, the ground, just a step away. Take the step and job done. The relief, the excitement, the adrenalin all washed over me in spades. Oh shit, the wing! It is still in the air but rapidly coming down and I've got fences and bushes far too close for comfort. I turned to a reverse position and collapsed the wing into a neat pile. Marvelous.

Wow, what a ride.

Simon on the radio again. Can't remember what he said at first, then Col saying well done, then Simon again saying the landing was better than Colin's ;-) Then the long walk back up the hill with a wing and a motor.

All those days in a field fighting with the weather, the equipment but mostly just my own demons, finally I've proved I can do it. For those of you that don't know the story, I broke my neck when I was 17. It took me four years to get anywhere close to recovering so I have some pretty highly developed "fear of injury" reflexes. Learning to fly a paramotor is as much about conquering myself as anything else.

And so, I'm going to sign off. I've been unbearable all afternoon and I suspect that'll continue for some time. Now... When can I next get away for some more flying?

Stuart.

Brilliant Stuart, as Dan said, you made it - well done!

I broke my neck when I was 17. It took me four years to get anywhere close to recovering so I have some pretty highly developed "fear of injury" reflexes. Learning to fly a paramotor is as much about conquering myself as anything else.

As a small aside, did you 'share' this with anyone before you flew during training?

Thanks everyone for all the wishes.

Two top tips:

1) Trust Simon - he knows what he is doing.

2) speed - airspeed is everything. Run fast enough and you will find air beneath your feet!

P.S. Wore my paramotorclub.org T shirt today at work. I think everyone worked it out by the silly grin and the willingness to re-tell the story to anyone who will listen :-)

Oh why can't I fly in the rain?

I can walk in the rain,

I can drive in the rain.

I want to be up in the air!

I can swim in the rain,

I can even make love in the rain.

It is so much fun to be up there!

Who says I can't fly in the rain?

The rain does not care

If I'm up in the air!

You can fly in the rain if you want to. But it's not a good thing to do.

You will get wet, cold and miserable and probably want a pee in the loo.

So we have to sit back and day dream, about flying high in the sky.

Don't worry too much Slim, the rain will soon turn to steam and then back into the air, with your trusty ol'e machine. :P

Fly Safe

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Day n - a lesson in patience.

I've stopped counting the days ;-)

Unfortunately my motor is still not a happy bunny. Rob has done a fantastic job of rebuilding the carburettor (thank you so much Rob) - except that is for one tiny Teflon thingy so it still isn't working. I got some air under my feet by running very hard and pulling on the brakes but 6 inches off the ground and 2 feet along the ground doesn't really count :-(

So, as everyone keeps telling me, I need to be more patient. "oh, Lord, please give me patience... now!"

Zach, my youngest, got hunted by a Red Kite:

Zach.jpg

I did get a nice piece of video of Mike showing us all how a takeoff should be done.

or here for the 61meg AVI file

Until next time,

Stuart

• 3 months later...

Yes! Yes! Yes!

After all this time, and a pile of wing repairs because of frozen flints cutting lines, I've finally got a substantive flight under my belt. Here are the details...

I got to the field at about 10:15 just as Simon and Col were flying overhead to attempt a big XC. I decided to get set up and practice my ground handling. I haven't been able to do anything since Christmas because of my broken lines. After about half an hour Si & Col returned. The headwinds were just too much at altitude. After a little more ground handling, this time with my motor on my back, I warmed up my motor, turned on my radio and GPS and got ready. The wind was steady, the ground soft and after a short run my feet were no longer on the ground! This time the harness didn't start to come off and I was able to begin gaining some height.

I followed the torque steer and turned down wind to the left. Circling around the field I kept gaining altitude. Then I headed off towards Ashdown House. Once I'd got myself flying straight and level (tip steer is fab) I managed to take a picture or two. I'll upload them later.

I also managed to download the GPS track from my Suunto X9i. You can download it here... http://www.xover.co.uk/stuarts-first-flight.kmz.

I'm so excited and exhausted but now I can't wait to get up there again ;-)

Stuart

Hi Slim, glad you got airborne after excalating the track, wished l had 4 wheel drive, Simon flew overhead giving (shouting) directions for the best route but with one drive wheel l had no chance. Hats of to you Colin for getting to the airfield, still dont know how you managed it in your car.

Anyway, in the end l went to Winchester and finally had a flight from there to Basingstoke with two other pilots and run out of petrol just short of intended landing field but Kay Sayers was duty retrieve and off to the pub we all went, so not a bad day after all.

Hope next weekend is just as good or even better.

Monday 11th l am off to Golden Ball for a bit of PG flying.

Regards Mike :D

Hi Simon, yep trip cancelled, otherwise l wouldnt be home now writing this :D:):):) so now going to check out my motor, and kit and wait out till next weekend. (still a fantastic flight yesterday for me, and sounds like you had one also, with Colin. Not long now till Dartmoor anyway.

Regards Mike

In my excitement I forgot some vital statistics:

• Flight time: 20 minutes
    Maximum ground speed: 59Km/h
    Average ground speed: 17Km/h
    Starting Altitude: 215m above sea level
    Maximum altitude: 479m above sea level (1000ft above Ashdown House)
    Total distance: 7.67Km
    Happiness Quotient: Maxed out!

My Suunto X9i is such a cool toy - it joins my flying with my inner geek!