Paramotoring in Ireland Trip.

donegalwing

Hi Francis

I see you are planning a trip to Ireland, any idea where you are going yet, I'm a newbie to this sport based in Donegal, I have just had my first taste of paramotoring by way of a days groundhandling at Paddys paramotor training on Saturday whilst in UK at an exhibition, it has given me a great taste of what is to come, I have spoken to Paddy and a few microlight pilots about our area here in Donegal, we have maybe 5 grass strips and one tar strip based in a 6 miles radius, which the microlight guys use to hop from strip to strip, and a shed load of others if we want to do a bit of cross country :D:D paramotor heaven I would say :D:D:D

There is a Fly-in organised for August, and as I am going to be the first paramotor pilot in this area, i think it would be great to get a few more floating around through the hills and valleys!!!

I will have more details posted soon

I would be interested to hear your thoughts :?::?:

Regards

Dean

Hi Dean,

In the Summer..........July is quite "booked up" so August a definite possibility. Your fly-in sounds like a good event to include in the trip. Still working on the "exemtion" issue as far as an organised trip is concerned but making progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy, third or last week in August probably. Waiting to hear from Donegalwing the date of tDonegal fly-in. Pre-requisites being that you are a competent pilot and understand air law and navigation to keep you out of trouble :lol:

I may be taKing 1 or two students for final cross country flights and signing off but Eire is a bit awkward legally at present, am still working with the Irish CAA to iron that out.

Look forwardto meeting you.

Say Hi to Colin.....

Francis

Hi Everyone,

I am a microlight pilot based at the strip that Dean (Donegalwing) is talking about. By the way, I run a website called http://www.IrishFlyin.com where all fly-in's in the country are listed. The particular fly-in that is happening at our airfield is on the first weekend in August, it is a bank holiday here in Ireland and it is a weekend of fun. There is a large BBQ organised and a Bar and music for afterwards. We would dearly love to have you guys over here for it, it would be a superb weekends flying here in Paramotors, with un-restricted airspace, numerous small grass strips in a 10 - 20 mile radius, absolutely spectacular scenery and to boot the "craic" will be mighty. The airfield is based just across the northern Ireland border, in southern Ireland, so to come and fly here would never be an issue. A full website for the club is at http://www.LetterkennyFlyingClub.com ... If you can reach a decision to come over then let Dean or myself know, accommodation is available at my strip (mobile home sleeps 6 comfortably... 8 at a push)... there is 2 other strips close-by with 2 more mobile homes with similar arrangements and we will get you all there and back again. Letterkenny town is large with many B&B's and hotels, although at that time of year it tends to book up.... so if you required those they need to be booked early... again I can give you all details.

Make a decision, let us know, you will all be made most welcome.....

all the best from North West Ireland.

Jon

Jon,

Welcome to the site!

And thanks for the welcome!

On the 29th of July the Tip to Tip flight is starting. This will take 7 to 10 day's

Many of the club are involved in some way........

PLEASE sort out a fly in for some time after and I will be there, but I cant do this one :(

Always wanted to get a flight over there as well....

SW :D

Edited by Guest

Thanks Jon, I was afraid that it might clash!. The last week in August is looking the most likely for our trip. shame we miss the fly-in but at least we will meet some of you guys and get an "exchange" going.

Francis

Francis

Can you let me know how it goes with the CAA

There are a few pilots in the south of Ireland who would probably come up for a weekend, if we can decide on a date I can let them know.

I will get a short video clip posted here soon of the area we are talking about to give ye a little taste of the countryside you could be flying over, I am out of the country for 2 weeks but when I return ( and the weather of course ) I will get it organised.. :D:D:D

As Johnny has said we can sort out some accomodation if we can finalise a date and numbers

Dean

Just to be clear, I am asking the IAA whether we can have a one week exemption for named pilots in our group. It would be unreasonable to expect not to have to obtain an exemption at all!

In fact obtaining a full exemption should not be difficult. I have applied for mine.

An applicant for an Exemption shall:-

(1) submit to the Authority a completed Exemption application form and the required

documentary evidence; (PM me for a form)

(2) hold or obtain an ICAO Annex 1or JAR-FCL Class 1 or 2 Medical Certificate; (ask your doctor, costs a few quid- or pm me for a list of approved medical examiners)

(3) submit satisfactory evidence to the Authority of approved or accepted training completed in

any State or completed with an aviation association holding a recognition from any State;

3 is the bit I am asking them about. Because there is no state recognised training in the UK for PPG (SPHG). We are classed as gliders and do not have to have a license.

I am asking whether our independent trainers, who follow a detailed sylabus and training programme including Flight theory, Air Law and Navigation can acheive "acepted" status are thereby qualify their trainees for an exemption.

Any pilots who come with me will have obtained their exemption. :D PM me with any difficulties and I will help you resolve them.

I need to go on record here as not condoning law breaking and dissassociate myself from any such appalling and irresponsible acivity.

Francis- Just one question that stemmed from your last post, regarding the Class 2 Medical. There was a bit of discussion on the Irish Forum about this aswell concerning the cost. It would be good to get an indication of what you'd pay for one of these in the UK Mainland. In Northern Ireland (UK), I approached a CAA listed doctor and he quoted me £180stg for the first test- follow up tests are a bit cheaper. In the Republic of Ireland, there isn't a set figure- but prices range between E180 and E150. Taking the Euro/Pound conversion rate into account this is £112-£135. Bearing in mind the certificates are of equal status (European JAR), the tests are the same, this is a significant difference.

Some people are confusing the Class2 medical with the 'Doctors consent to fly' letter issued by UK doctors for microlight pilots- the Irish Aviation Authority won't accept this. The Class2 does seem like a complete overkill, but unfortunately that's what they insist on at present.

GD

Just to be clear, I am asking the IAA whether we can have a one week exemption for named pilots in our group. It would be unreasonable to expect not to have to obtain an exemption at all!

In fact obtaining a full exemption should not be difficult. I have applied for mine.

An applicant for an Exemption shall:-

(1) submit to the Authority a completed Exemption application form and the required

documentary evidence; (PM me for a form)

(2) hold or obtain an ICAO Annex 1or JAR-FCL Class 1 or 2 Medical Certificate; (ask your doctor, costs a few quid- or pm me for a list of approved medical examiners)

(3) submit satisfactory evidence to the Authority of approved or accepted training completed in

any State or completed with an aviation association holding a recognition from any State;

3 is the bit I am asking them about. Because there is no state recognised training in the UK for PPG (SPHG). We are classed as gliders and do not have to have a license.

I am asking whether our independent trainers, who follow a detailed sylabus and training programme including Flight theory, Air Law and Navigation can acheive "acepted" status are thereby qualify their trainees for an exemption.

Any pilots who come with me will have obtained their exemption. :D PM me with any difficulties and I will help you resolve them.

I need to go on record here as not condoning law breaking and dissassociate myself from any such appalling and irresponsible acivity.

Thanks for the reply Francis, Keep me updated with any progress on your exemptions, I am very keen to hear how this goes

Dean

Norman,

Paramotoring is in its very early stages in Donegal at the moment, I entend to change that!!

Check out this video taken just over the border with Gordon Dunn, hes the Daddy of the paramotoring in the north west(95 hours flying last year, not bad for an ocassional flier), A top class pilot I might add and the man who is keeping me pointed in the right direction as a newcomer into the sport!! The video starts with some wind and goes on to having nill wind launches in the afternoon, the river you see is the border between Tyrone and Donegal, Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland...... if he crosses the river he needs a licence to fly, but dosent in Northern Ireland as hes classed as UK :!::!:

http://www.gordondunn.co.uk/Videos.htm

Gordon has a few good videos on his site, we have some great beaches within 30 minutes drive from here too, Rosnowlagh, I think he has those on his site also, I'm sure you will be posting a few of your pictures of this fantastic beach here for all to view...

:D

Dean

As I hae already posted when the weather mends I will post a video of the countryside around us, will be from a microlight for the time being though.....Watch this space ...thats all about to change

Dean

Fantastic images there Norman- i've some similar ones on my website that i took last summer in Mayo.

2007_09090053.JPG

For web album- http://www.gordondunn.co.uk/photogallery/2007_0909-Mayo

Also in the north of Ireland- not far from Ballykelly is Benone beach, Downhill, Castlerock, Portstewart and Portrush.

2007_07300023.JPG

7-9miles approx of 'Blue flag'

http://www.gordondunn.co.uk/photogaller ... e-30_07_07

On the east coast, near Drogheda,

2007_06090087.JPG

Even though this is the 'notoriously polluted' Irish Sea.... you can still see Seals as you fly over the beaches. There was a 'bloom' of jellyfish lastyear, this appeared as a large orange 'slick'- quite interesting. Unfortuntely it also wiped out a salmon farm further north.

http://www.gordondunn.co.uk/photogaller ... d_09-06-07

Heres another interesting weather shot-

2007_07010063.JPG

Gordon,

Great to hear from you. Your pictures add to my determination to pop over at some stage and visit this Garden of Eden green from the watering it gets year round! Tell me, my pal in the South tells me that the UK-FIR extends across the Republic and gives an effective umbrella for air operations under UK rules. Paramotoring might not be complete legal in the Republic but it is once you are airborne in these locations! :lol: What a great system and one, if true, that can be used to great effect I think?

I have had a look at your website but the connection here is pants so I will need to wait until I get home to watch the movies!

Take care over there and leave some for us. :wink:

Norman, You good point with the FIR argument.... but this could also work against us, so that's why we've never used it with the IAA.

See map below-

NI-airspace-85.jpg

As you can see, the FIR boundary is a straight line, the border is the meandering one. If the IAA define their jurisdiction using the FIR boundary, we gain a bit of ground to the west certainly- unfortunately not enough to cover Letterkenny (Site of Aug Fly-in). Almost half of County Monaghan (Republic) is within Scottish FIR also.... but on the counter side, almost half of Fermanagh (NI) is within Shannon FIR.

Even the way that P436/2.5 prohibition zone has been defined in South Armagh, seems to point that the land border is the defining factor.

By the way, P436/2.5 (South Armagh) , Omagh, Dungannon, L/Derry, Cookstown, Enniskillen, Ballykinler and Armagh city prohibition zones have been withdrawn from August 2007, so most of the province has virtually unresticted airspace... just 2 small airports to watch out for at Eglinton, and Enniskillen.

GD