Wing for 80k bare

I'm 80k raw and looking to buy a mini plane.

I free fly a Gin Zulu 1-2.

I've been looking at the Nucleon and Paramania wings. I like a solid feeling wing, I don't like a wing the has the feeling of squirming around overhead.

I would like a wing that is good at thermalling with the motor. Issue I've always had in the weight 80 + 20k lands me right at 100k full up. As normal it lands me at the beginning of a 29 and top end of a 27 in most reflex wings.

What the best for the paramotor wings? go bigger wing for better economy? smaller for speed?

other wings I should look at thhat fit the bill?

I have a Fusion also, on the rare occasion when I do play with the thermals it works amazingly well. (comparable to a DHV 1/2 with trimmers in)

I notice your username is S1Buell.... Every summer I get closer to buying another bike, but I would have to go for the XB12s :-)

Welcome to the Paramotor Club.

SW :D

It looks like there are two main camps Fusion and Nucleon! lol

Yea I got the 1999 S1 Buell light lightning. Interesting bike for sure. I’ve had a the rest there all great and tons of fun. But the Buell was the most interesting that’s for sure (café racer)

So what about the sizes for 80k raw weight (27,29,30,31 etc). What size would you get?

Thanks again for the help!

As far as the Fusion, I am 75kg and on a 23. I would however suggest a 26 for decent thermal playing @ 80kg. (assuming adv weight for rest of your kit of course)

SW :D

I've been looking at the Nucleon and Paramania wings. I like a solid feeling wing, I don't like a wing the has the feeling of squirming around overhead.

The Nucleon is the more solid feeling wing without a doubt (IMO). The Fusion is equally good but has quite a different 'feel' to it.

I would like a wing that is good at thermalling with the motor. Issue I've always had in the weight 80 + 20k lands me right at 100k full up. As normal it lands me at the beginning of a 29 and top end of a 27 in most reflex wings.

Clothing, helmet, boots, radio, camera, gps and other equipment (particularly reserve if thermal flying) will add at least 10kg

What the best for the paramotor wings? go bigger wing for better economy? smaller for speed?

Pretty much correct. Sounds like sink rate and glide efficiency might be a higher priority than outright speed for your needs, so you don't want to be right at the top or over the certified weight range.

other wings I should look at thhat fit the bill?

Ozone Speedster and several others are worth a look. Maybe even a non-reflex glider ? There are several options if speed isn't the top priority ......

The Nucleon is the more solid feeling wing without a doubt (IMO). The Fusion is equally good but has quite a different 'feel' to it.

This is what I've been reading too. It's a solid feel wing, not the most agile but solid with a decent glide ratio.

Clothing, helmet, boots, radio, camera, gps and other equipment (particularly reserve if thermal flying) will add at least 10kg

Most of my stuff is minimal. My free flight is 500gm coat army pants and reversible harness ruck sack. I'm a bit of a minimalist. People look at me a little funny when I walk to the hill and drop a small ruck sack on the ground. They all wait for me to go back and get the rest. Then the glider comes out of the ruck sack the ruck sack flips inside out and I step into the harness turn on my mini vario and I'm ready (1x1" blue box).

But looking at mini plane 20k stuff 5k fuel 4-5k + me 80+20+10 110k just on the light side of a 29. any issue of flying light? Say mini plane 20k fuel 3k and shorts = 100k. My experience in free flight taking out large gliders and being outside the weight range just leads to some tucks and tips falling in a little more frequently not sure about reflex

Sounds like sink rate and glide efficiency might be a higher priority than outright speed for your needs, so you don't want to be right at the top or over the certified weight range.

Glide would be the best but a bit of both worlds would be good too. Lets be honest you don't get into PG/PPG for speed :lol:

Ive changed the risers on my free flight glider (it can do both) so I will be able to flip back and forth.

One more question, a good helmet you don't want to know what I fly in now........ it has CCM logo on it (sports fans will figure this out quick) All laughing aside it makes a great free flight helmet one for safety the other to indicate where your from :mrgreen:

I would like to be able to plug in anything even tunes (for beach flights)

T

Whilst it might not be an acro wing the Nucleon is certainly agile - the ball steering is the best I've come across, and used with brakes as well it can be chucked all over the place .... just look at any slalom or Parabatix type video. Just not had the chance to do much thermalling with mine yet as I've been away free flying a lot this year.

As for sizes, when your 'all up' weight comes between certified sizes you should calculate the wing loading and go for whichever size brings you closest to the optimum figure quoted by the manufacturer. This is more accurate than the size range for certification.

I am a bit light on my wing now but only ever had tip tucks in very rough and gusty air (strong wave in the leeside of Snowdonia) and in full reflex they were a non event - out before I could react. With trimmers closed and hands on brakes it was easier to stop them before they happened.

Hi S1buel

I have to say i love my Fusion I am 75-76 kg and fly a 26. I have free flown it for over 20 hours and i absolutely loved it....

I use loved past tense as i have just come back from testing our new Ozone speedster and think it is so much lighter on the brakes and handles just a well as the fusion. The brakes on the Fusion are a little hard but does turn very well.... I have to say the fusion does not work in the lighter condtions but in the stronger winds it kick's arse!!!! Today was on the light side at first but its still was not as good as a conventional PG wing but, IMOP was working better than the fusion. The wind got up in the end and then the Speedster came into its own as all the PG pilots went home.....

I have not flown it with power yet but looking forward to it immensely...

I have flown my fusion 26 for 80+ hours and i find i go down on full trim+ bar BUT i am on a V3 with 1.1m prop, 80kg with good thrust you will be fine.

28 speedster is 95-125kg's

If your 80kg you wil be more like 115-120kg's all up

26 Fusion i think is 130-140kg max

This is my opinion

Try before you buy.