Avaition info

jock

GA Safety Partnership launched

Wednesday, 23 Nov 2011

A new initiative has been set up to address general aviation safety issues in the UK, instigated by the CAA along with the leading general aviation and sports and recreational membership associations.

This will cover the full general aviation remit - including a variety of different activities, and a range of aircraft from the smallest right through to business jets, for both recreational and business-related purposes.

The initiative will draw on relevant research and data to help identify and quantify the priority safety issues. Together with work being undertaken on reviewing the Regulatory Approach to Recreational Aviation, a more proportionate emphasis in the general aviation community will emerge along with any safety improvement strategies that might be identified

Participants in the project include, the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA); the British Balloon and Airship Club (BBAC); the British Gliding Association (BGA); the British Helicopter Association; the British Microlight Aircraft Association (BMAA); the General Aviation Safety Council (GASCo); the Helicopter Club of Great Britain; the Light Aircraft Association (LAA); representatives from Pilot and Flyer; and, the CAA's Safety Regulation Group.

Although not mentioned above I|assume the BHPA wil be included.

It's not a press release as far as I am aware, I am a member of an aviation mews group and this was one of the items that came up.

It is as a result of a CAA release paper earlier this year on aviation safety.

Rules and regulation will come sooner or later,videos like the campell tower and the low ppg over the houses will make it happen,if we have to have transponers that will kill a lot of people away from ppg.flphg, might even include pg.hg it was talked about before,if that happens i would go back to motorcycles

Common sense prevailed (eventually) following the 2006 consultation on transponders, and I don't think we have anything to fear in the near future from that issue.

There have been no mid air collisions involving PG / PPG with other aircraft and almost no airproxes reported where the PG or PPG pilot was at fault.

Airspace violations are thankfully still few and non serious - although better training and pilot awareness could reduce this further.

That leaves a few errant pilots who either post (apparently) reckless Youtube video's or are spotted breaching low flying rules or other regulations.... Since the ANO and other laws are already in place to punish such pilots there would not appear to be much merit in imposing further regulations. To my knowledge there have been no prosecutions so far - even for the likes of the pilot who crashed in Walkden....

Personally I don't see any reason to panic about any imminent or impending rules and regulations as things stand. Even a few idiots shouldn't affect the current status quo (other than at local level) unless some total f*ckwit causes a serious fatality.

I don't mind abiding by current rules but if these were to change unreasonably then I (and probably many others) would be forced to consider flying 'outside' of such rules. Thankfully I just can't see that happening any time soon.

Extract written by you know who.............. Is this anything to do with other AAs doing similar in their own EU countries? I know IAA have been engaged on this exercise for the past year in Ireland.

I will be using it as an opportunity to argue for addressing anomalies in training for various forms of powered hang-glider in the UK. With the arrival on the scene of paragliding trikes (bolt on A frames) that can be launched "standing up" or sitting down depending on preference and similar in powered hg taking off from base bar wheels or "stood up" I will argue that the best place for training in the use of these is with hang gliding instructors

I don't mind abiding by current rules but if these were to change unreasonably then I (and probably many others) would be forced to consider flying 'outside' of such rules. Thankfully I just can't see that happening any time soon.

I am with you on that one.... :wink:.......... although please dont tell anybody

I don't think it's any secret that most would if honest.

It's a bit like small number plates on Motorbikes a Simpson Bandit helmet or a loud exhaust. Illegal in the UK but happens in the thousands every single day.

Interestingly the only things I have left from my biker days are a loud exhaust, and a Simpson Bandit LOL

SW :D