Fame at last

edwardc

What is going on here? It was only one donkey and now you won't let me forget it :D

On a more serious note the football club have asked if I can take some pictures when the team and/or the boys football clubs are playing on the site.

Can someone clarify the rules about flying over events where there are a lot of people please.

regards

Eddie

I can't believe that I had no replies to my last post.

Why is it that if somebody flies at 499ft or gets within a couple of miles of some bloke walking his dog in the middle of nowhere there are people wanting to have them hanged, yet if you ask for confirmation of the rules for a specific purpose there is tumbleweed rolling past the screen?.

To quote Deliah Smith "let's be having you" :D

Eddie

Large open air gatherings

No aircraft may fly over or within 1,000m of an open air gathering of more than 1,000 people except with written permission of the CAA, nor may it fly below any height that would enable it to glide clear.

The 500ft Rule

An aircraft must not fly closer than 500ft to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure with the following exceptions. Several exemptions apply to powered aircraft here.

SW :D

Meters is correct.

This may also apply to you..

Flight over congested areas

A congested area in relation to a city, town or settlement means any area which is substantially

used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes.

An aircraft (other than a helicopter) must not fly over a congested area;

below a height that would allow it to land clear of the area and without danger to people if the

engine fails; or

less that 1500 feet above the highest fixed object within 600m of the aircraft, whichever is

higher

SW :D

Great use of photo and PR as Simon said. It certainly doesn't look like a "congested area" from that angle, and you would have to go pretty low to count if there where more than 1000 people. :lol: (looks unlikely for size of stadium)

Anyway, even cheap compact cameras now have decent zoom lenses to get more shots from a legal height. Of course to abide by the 'rules' the purpose of your flight will not be for such a 'commission' and any pictures will be purely incidental and not for financial gain ...

... but hope they give you rights to launch and land from those manicured playing fields when everywhere else gets boggy over winter. :wink:

Thanks guys.

Can't see a big problem as I am informed that there is only about 200 to 300 people there at most.

I use a Canon EOS with a 300mm lens so the only problem would be if I had to fly over at 3000 metres (whatever that is :D ).

I just get annoyed at the fact that the aviation world uses feet but, somehow, in this country we mix in metres for no reason!

quote "less than 1500 feet above the highest fixed object within 600m of the aircraft, whichever is higher"

They can't even keep to the same measurement in one sentence!!!!!!!!!

regards

grumpy old git Eddie

I just get annoyed at the fact that the aviation world uses feet but, somehow, in this country we mix in metres for no reason!

It annoys the hell out of me too, but generally feet are used for vertical height and metres for horizontal distances ....

Worse is when trying to compare climb or descent rates ... I use m/s, but some insist on x100feet/minute.

:evil:

Eddie - it does make sense if a certain paramotor training instructor posted the correct info (sorry Si :P ) :D

The minimum height above such large gatherings is 1000 feet (or whatever is needed to glide clear).

The 1000 metres part is minimum distance for take-off or landing ..... so height is in feet, distance in metres.

The congested ares (city town or settlement) rule was also quoted incorrectly as it is 1000 feet (not 1500) above the highest fixed obstacle and 600 metres horizontally.

(again, height in feet, distance in metres)

Of course the dreaded 500 feet rule screws up this general order by being both height and distance .... so minimum 500 feet above any person, vessel, vehicle or structure - or 152.4 metres horizontally ... :?

All as per the current CAA Air Navigation Order & Regulations (CAP393) Section 3 (Low Flying Rule) 5 (3) e & f

(page 330 of this document) :

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.pdf

.... I can't believe more pilots don't enjoy such light bedtime reading .... but you did ask for clarification :lol:

Don't worry Si ... I've made mistakes copying from those too ... although they are still a handy resource even if a few 'facts' are wrong or out of date.

Even my BHPA Pilot exam paper had 2 wrong questions (due to amendments on fuel capacity etc).

The important thing is pilots are actually asking and taking notice of the legal requirements - so always worthy of a bit of discussion (amid p*ss taking) :D