revolution 26

Had a great flight this afternoon. Perfect conditions which led to an easy launch and smooth flight. Problem is, i take off as usual with trimmers in and fly for a bit till i have a bit of height and while in this position i need the slightest bit of right brake to counteract the torque effect but when i release them half way i need alot more right brake which seems excessive. Any ideas or suggestions on this please.if its any help i fly an airfer with low hangpoints. Thanks .Nick

Hi Nick,

Although you are better getting advice from another pilot of the same machine.... It sounds like good old torque steer to me.

just looking at the simple stuff first...

Have you made any changes to your harness?

SW :D

Hi Simon. I havent adjusted my harness but can i do this to minimise the torque steer and how would i go about this? Many thanks. Nick

When in the seat sit as far to the right side as you can, If you have a seat board on the front pull the right side up more so that you are weight shifting right.

Also worth noting...

With Trims pulled in, the Brakes have more effect with a lighter pull for steering the wing. With trims out half way, more brake would be needed to pull the trailing edge down from it's elevated profile under the reflex setting.

At half trim, I'd really be thinking about using Tip Steering and Weight shift rather than brakes once the reflex profile has come into effect. Using brakes when the trims are all the way out is dangerous and not recommended by Paramania.

Regards,

Steve Haze

PMC Qualified Flying Instructor

Dudek Dealer - Bulldog Dealer - Parajet Dealer

http://www.learntoparamotor.com

Tel: 07968 345554

At half trim, I'd really be thinking about using Tip Steering and Weight shift rather than brakes once the reflex profile has come into effect. Using brakes when the trims are all the way out is dangerous and not recommended by Paramania.

Hi Steve, I'd agree that tip steering and weight shift is a good way of course correction when trims are out, but it you are perfectly safe to use the brakes on a Revolution with trims out and there is no mention in the Revolution Manual of this being not recommended. Admittedly you are disturbing the reflex profile but this isn't unsafe.

http://www.flyparamania.com/downloads/r ... manual.pdf

Fair play, Phil. I stand corrected.

I have a printout from a manual on the wall beside me (just a page about reflex profiles) and it says not to as this disturbs the reflex profile, moves the centre of pressure back and causes a higher risk of deflation.

BUT...I've carefully read through all of Paramania's manuals just now and you are quite right that it says nothing about it. Maybe this is an older document that I have.

EDIT - 2 minutes later:

Just looked through Dudek's site and it was a picture from there that I have on the wall beside me:

reflex-steering-en.jpg

Might not be the same, then, for Paramania wings, but the technology is similar so worth noting, at least.

Phil - In the competition tasks, when you are doing the low slaloms and clover-leaf do you typically fly with trims out and steering with brakes & tip steering together? (I know your new wing has a different setup completely, though. :wink: )

Steve

On my Fusion 20 for cloverleaf I used just above neutral trim so i could keep the 180° tuns tight, and for Japanese slalom I used 3/4 as there is more straight line distance to cover. All of this is done on the brakes as the stabilo tip steer is only really good for course correction and slower turns.

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

The new wing is awesome but still getting to grips with it all :D