Mac misery?

poz

I have just transferred my super high quality raw .mts (avchd) files to my friends Mac book only to find that they were not recognised and he couldn't play them.

This format has got to be the most used format amongst modern HD camcorders. I'm sure that I'm missing something here, but how can he get around this problem without have to spend 12 hours converting them all and probably losing quality or gaining file size in the process?

What's worse, is that on my recommendation, he's just ordered the same Panasonic SD800 HD camcorder that I've got and he's a complete Mac head.

Simon W, what file format does your mega (Sony?) camera put out, and are you converting in Final Cut?

Cheers

Dan

We have a SONY, and all of our files are AVCHD.

If you just want to play them he just needs to download the free 'VLC player' http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

If you want to edit it, then you need a Pro version of any editing software ( and a super powerful Mac )

The reason its not working now is because the the default 'player' on a Mac is Quicktime (which does not support AVCHD files.)

The download will take no time at all and will deffo play your files.

SW :D

I am now on Final Cut Pro X. (which is a 64bit package)

It's the TV standard, and I dont notice any reduction in quality. (unless I export it in the wrong format of course)

I found iMovie to be good and also, did not notice a reduction in quality.

If you are playing back (from the editing software) you will not be seeing a fully rendered playback so always export / share it somewhere to your computer to view. (unless you have a 64bit system, and final cut pro x)

Also,

Loss of quality of the final edit WILL increase the more post production you have done. EG...

If you lighten or darken a shot... stabilize it, filter it, or add an effect... this will effect the shot and make it look no longer HD which in effect it no longer would be.