'Extreme' sports

alan_k

When people find out I fly a paramotor (generally included in the thought of ‘microlight’ in France) I am sometimes asked if it is dangerous. I usually answer that with a no as I consider myself to be a safe flyer.

This got me to thinking of the perception of ‘Extreme Sports’.

I’m sure with media coverage there is always an element of sensationalism, leading to public understanding that the merest slip-up will lead to injury or even death.

As a topic for discussion I have listed what might be considered as extreme sports:

Quadbike riding

White water rafting

Skydiving

Powerboat racing

Off piste skiing

Speed flying

Snowboarding

Free climbing

Mountaineering

Base jumping

Bungee jumping

Gliding (sailplane)

Hang gliding

High wire

Ski jumping

Wingsuit flying

Skateboarding

BMX

Paintball

My feeling is that those activities that include the least predictable weather or conditions are the most ‘extreme’.

When I fly I always take notice of the conditions and the beauty of PPG is you can land almost anywhere if you need to.

What are your thoughts?

Have to agree Alan. Weather is a big aspect of whether (no pun intended) to go or indeed be able to go flying. I guess there are far more extreme (read dangerous or foolhardy) sports to take part in.

I see what we enjoy as particularly safe and certainly no less safe than say riding a motorbike

IMHO

Regards

Al

dead mate ratio

Jesus :|

his dead too, but I dont think he was one of Simons mates :D

I used to help run a national quad racing series, when we first started out most people had never raced quads and the accident rate was quite high, however as the season proggressed and riders became much better the accident rate dropped considerably.

I used to race quads and only fell off once, and that was at a practice track, mind you I made sure I did not go fast enough to get hurt if I did have an accident, thats what I told people anyway, but for some reason they just thought I was old and slow, HEH! what do they know LOL

Had more accidents on bikes on the road, I used to do trackdays on bikes too and had a few scary moments but managed to stay on :D

I was thinking about the whole extreme sports thing the other day and wondered how many of us have signed up to this.

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_ ... _donor.jsp

Lets face it, if it all goes belly up for us we may still be able to do something for someone.

Dave go to bed you are suposed to be getting married i the morning !!

dead mate ratio

Jesus :|

his dead too, but I dont think he was one of Simons mates :D

I used to help run a national quad racing series, when we first started out most people had never raced quads and the accident rate was quite high, however as the season proggressed and riders became much better the accident rate dropped considerably.

I used to race quads and only fell off once, and that was at a practice track, mind you I made sure I did not go fast enough to get hurt if I did have an accident, thats what I told people anyway, but for some reason they just thought I was old and slow, HEH! what do they know LOL

Had more accidents on bikes on the road, I used to do trackdays on bikes too and had a few scary moments but managed to stay on :D

I was thinking about the whole extreme sports thing the other day and wondered how many of us have signed up to this.

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_ ... _donor.jsp

Lets face it, if it all goes belly up for us we may still be able to do something for someone.

I've always considered an extreme sport to be one where you're waiting for a significant critical event to save your life.

eg Parachuting, Base jumping, Wingsuit flying, Bungee jumping.

Even compared with Motor Biking, PPGing is quite a 'woossey' sport.

Richard

Clive hes calling you a woosey!

Fight ! Fight! fight! :D

Well im a Sailplane man .

And having flown with the Team swift pilots a couple of weeks ago id say aerobatic sailplane flying is extreem, especialy the rolling on Tow, inverted spins, and balistic rolls.

And being in formation with other aircraft on the ridge in scottland doing 100kts with big pull chandells at the end of the ridge to go back the other way .

But the best has got to be in a start line thermal with 20-30 other ships waiting for the start line to open there are aitcraft everywhere . behind you ,above, below, in front, people joining. and somtimes you get really close when its busy ..

I've always considered an extreme sport to be one where you're waiting for a significant critical event to save your life.

eg Parachuting, Base jumping, Wingsuit flying, Bungee jumping.

Even compared with Motor Biking, PPGing is quite a 'woossey' sport.

Richard

Snowboarding, Skiing, Wakeboarding, White Water Rafting, Skateboarding, Kite Surfing, Surfing are all classed as Extreme Sports, even Cheese rolling is an extreme sport (if you can call that a sport) and as for the element of risk, you're more likely to die as a pedestrian than you are as a Skydiver!

There's Main Stream Sports and there's Extreme Sports

Richard X

My feeling is that those activities that include the least predictable weather or conditions are the most ‘extreme’.

When I fly I always take notice of the conditions and the beauty of PPG is you can land almost anywhere if you need to.

What are your thoughts?

Skydiving is done in similar conditions to Paramotoring.

Richard X

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...