Home made paramotor

neo350

It is a very light weight motorcycle only weighs 265 lbs and its engine produces 16.8 bhp without any tuning. lots of aftermarket products to increase power and an ecu which adjusts itself to changing attitude conditions, I actually don't know the weight of the engine but they claim its very light weight by using aluminium and forged piston thingy:) in construction. The total bike itself costs about 1500 pounds about 2300 usd. Can get a decent engine for 550 pounds and a new one for about 850 pounds.

The only other4 stokes out there are Bailey (who i like very much) i own and fly with one. And the other is cobra PPG with a jap motor...

If you dont have the money for a new unit buy a good secondhand one GET advice from your instructor!!!!! If you do have the money fly as many as you can to make an informed choice. Work out the type of flying you want to do.... DON'T buy one because you like the colour's or look, Bad mistake.

Save your self allot of hassle time and money and buy a paramtor that has been designed and built by a professional.... They have spent the money and time in the R&D.....

:D

OH Q tip's WTF are they....

the issue is those engines are made with torque in mind as well, (not a lot mind ) as they are designed to have enough grunt to push a person along, im under the impression that paramotor engines want high power low torque, (as all they are doing is turning a kilo or so of prop round)

the issue is those engines are made with torque in mind as well, (not a lot mind ) as they are designed to have enough grunt to push a person along, im under the impression that paramotor engines want high power low torque, (as all they are doing is turning a kilo or so of prop round)

With a lot of resistance from the air it is pushing :!:

While I am not flying yet, I do know a bit about engines.

An aircraft engine has different requirements to a motorcycle engine. A motorcycle engine is required to make useful power from relatively low RPM, while an aero engine (with a fixed pitch prop) is mostly required to make power only in the higher RPM range.

All the paramotors I have seen use a reduction gear or belt drive to keep the prop speed down (so that the tip's don't exceed the speed of sound). It is this gearing which matches the engine's peak power RPM to the prop load.

Thus, it is possible to use the peak output of any engine by gearing to an appropriately sized prop.

Aero engines are also typically used at higher RPM for long periods. A 15HP motorcycle engine will spend much of it's life running at about 10 to 12 HP (about 60-70mph on a small bike) and will be geared to 'cruise' at about 1/2 it's peak RPM.

Overall, there is a trade-off between maximum power and torque spread. The motorcycle engine is likely to be set up for a better torque spread than a similar aero engine, so will probably offer a lower power to weight ratio.

Listen to the people with lots of flying experience - especially those who have been flying since the early development of paramotors. They will be able to tell you who tried what engine and how it turned out. Much cheaper and less hassle than repeating the experiments yourself.

Pete.