E-Petition for servicemen

Richwill15

Hummm......

There are some jobs in the forces which when joining you know will never put you in a situation of danger / risk.

When compared to an infantry solider who is basically getting shot at all his life.

I like the current system, British medals are earned and recognised globally for being so.

Lets not get all American now.... they get a medal for just flying over a war zone! Where is the line? ( I suggest its at least somewhere near the front line! )

SW :D

I think I have served my queen and country through the taxes ect that I pay but I do not want a medal for it.

All the service men and women that go on tour or are in active duty should get recognition for the danger they have been in

But some one who is in the forces that sits behind a desk or has not been on active duty then they should not as it is like any normal job.

Yes I did try to get the marines when I left school but due to a heart complaint they would not have me, and as far as the falklands went I was ready to pay my own way out there.

I hate it when they are in the forces and moan about going in to action ect. IT is part of the job if you don't like it then why did you sign up.

I'll give you a medal Pete :-)

I did do the Falklands and a few other theatres. Defo didn't join up for tea and medals. I personally think there is a difference. All service personnel pay taxes too :wink:

This is as equally applicable to coast guard personnel who've never been out in a boat but give their time.

However, all opinions are valid.

:D

I'll give you a medal Pete :-)

I did do the Falklands and a few other theatres. Defo didn't join up for tea and medals. I personally think there is a difference. All service personnel pay taxes too :wink:

This is as equally applicable to coast guard personnel who've never been out in a boat but give their time.

However, all opinions are valid.

:D

Would like one but have not earned it.

just my take on it but Ive not been in the services although me dad spent all his time in Burma and has quite a few.

I respect all people that serve their Queen and country but some are more deserving than others.

When compared to an infantry solider who is basically getting shot at all his life.

I know some inf types who spent their entire careers painting stones white and peeling spuds :D

Lets not get all American now.... they get a medal for just flying over a war zone! Where is the line? ( I suggest its at least somewhere near the front line! )

That'll rule out the UAV jockey's then :D

What about the people that make the ammunition? Supply the rations? make the tyres for the trucks?

Not sure they're service personnel :D they can pretty much go home when they like and go on strike. :lol:

Like I said. Just a sign of appreciation. Nothing more. Most dinner ladies are in a war zone daily. I'd give them a medal too :D

I know some inf types who spent their entire careers painting stones white and peeling spuds :D

My point exactly, but did they get a medal for it??? No is the answer.

Fine, issue a service medal, stand next to people who were active and hold your head high feeling proud about the non active role that you ( and by that I dont mean you ) played.

I would not hang one on my chest.

My point exactly, but did they get a medal for it??? No is the answer.

Hmm there are some that did and wear them proudly. I'm not saying campaign medals and maybe something more than a veterans badge that's recognised by nobody. Me personally? It's a non-issue. Just raising awareness. :|

Fine, issue a service medal, stand next to people who were active and hold your head high feeling proud about the non active role that you ( and by that I dont mean you ) played.

I would not hang one on my chest.

Great, at last a topic I can contribute to instead of hovering stage right....as wannebe flyer number 134

I am an ex Royal Marines musician and have seen both sides of this argument from the inside & out. I will quickly add that for reasons that astounded us at the time, the RM band I served with went to the Falklands war and did everything from unloading stores to shooting at Argy planes to guarding prisoners . Anyways, before I start all the lamps swinging, I joined a long tradition of behind the lines bods and never really expected to be pointing a gun at anyone when i joined the band, but that war experience, having the crap scared out of me in northern ireland and a terrorist bombing that killed 11 of my band mates put me firmly in the way of danger. And in fact with the depleting size of our armed forces there are very few jobs that are completely safe, since anything that can be is civiilianised and out sourced. So, It might come as a surprise then that I don't agree with a general service medal, they should be for taking part in 'a something' and not just for 'taking part' in general. I have two medals, one for the Falklands war and one for long service and good conduct [yeah right] I am proud of of the former and pleased that I didn't get caught to have the got the other!

Far more beneifical would be a petition to enhance the pay for people currently serving in danger areas and the government keeping its end of the bargain when they are wounded. Service pensions should also be increased to reflect the conditions they have to live under in danger zones. Ahem, my opinion and speech is here ended.

Great, at last a topic I can contribute to instead of hovering stage right....as wannebe flyer number 134

I am an ex Royal Marines musician and have seen both sides of this argument from the inside & out. I will quickly add that for reasons that astounded us at the time, the RM band I served with went to the Falklands war and did everything from unloading stores to shooting at Argy planes to guarding prisoners . Anyways, before I start all the lamps swinging, I joined a long tradition of behind the lines bods and never really expected to be pointing a gun at anyone when i joined the band, but that war experience, having the crap scared out of me in northern ireland and a terrorist bombing that killed 11 of my band mates put me firmly in the way of danger. And in fact with the depleting size of our armed forces there are very few jobs that are completely safe, since anything that can be is civiilianised and out sourced. So, It might come as a surprise then that I don't agree with a general service medal, they should be for taking part in 'a something' and not just for 'taking part' in general. I have two medals, one for the Falklands war and one for long service and good conduct [yeah right] I am proud of of the former and pleased that I didn't get caught to have the got the other!

Far more beneifical would be a petition to enhance the pay for people currently serving in danger areas and the government keeping its end of the bargain when they are wounded. Service pensions should also be increased to reflect the conditions they have to live under in danger zones. Ahem, my opinion and speech is here ended.

The post quoted above is the only one that makes any sence out of this thread.

I never did my time in the RAF, I signed up to be an airframe fitter but three days fefore I was due to go in a drunk driver almost killed me, spent 15 months on the sick, after that the RAF didn't want me, they said "I had to many bones"

Dave