Ozone speedster

morgy

Hi

I am looking at the speedster at the moment and i can not find any info on the top speed and the glide ratio of this wing...

After all the hype about it being very fast why are there not any figure's..... :?::?::roll:

I currently fly a 26 fusion top speed 60kmh the nucleon is 62kmh

So is it a case of dont believe the hype...

You must consider all up weights and wing areas before comparing average top speeds of any ENC wing. Fuel consumption and noise are a factor on most wings at speed, if they're able to maintain height. 20 glide points are knocked off a wing by having a motor strapped to your back.

Richard

32 sqm Delta, full bar, level flight, 140kg, ave 55kph, 26 sqm version, 140kg, ave 61kph. (Glide 7.5:1)

Simon said

My max on the 23 Fusion was 64kph on the bar on a nil wind day.

Race yu!

SW

The small force is quicker with an all up flying weight of 110kg.......genuine 40mph :P in nil wind never mind those European measuring units of Kph and Euros and meters they dont count anymore

and when its loaded more ie with a trike I will be able to get on the tail of those pesky jets from RAF valley :lol::lol::lol:

Dude, I was just joking of course.

Your wing may well be faster but I much prefer the way the Fusion 'feels'

If I wanted to go faster than everyone I would have purchased the 20 and loaded it with a quad. :-)

SW :D

Yes I know....... :? but would you be able to Dog fight with a Jet :shock: :shock:and have a good chance of winning :shock:

Yes, I bet I could win a who ended up the most red or dead competition with a fast jet.

SW :D

You must consider all up weights and wing areas before comparing average top speeds of any ENC wing. Fuel consumption and noise are a factor on most wings at speed, if they're able to maintain height. 20 glide points are knocked off a wing by having a motor strapped to your back.

Richard

32 sqm Delta, full bar, level flight, 140kg, ave 55kph, 26 sqm version, 140kg, ave 61kph. (Glide 7.5:1)

I Would like to compare the 26 fusion with a 26/28 speedster.... So comparing like for like... I not sure on the sizing of the speedster as i am planning to poss get a v5 so my all up weight will be allot lighter and i am in the middle of both wing's

Why do ozone not post up the speed data ect if they claim to be the fastest.... I contacted a dealer (no names) but i was told all i need to know is that its winning all the comp's!!!! :?:roll:

I am not going to buy a wing if its not faster and does not have a better glide....

There won't be a lot of difference between a modern EN class of wing for the same weight/wing area. Force/Fusion/Speedster (ENC) will all be roughly the same speed/glide. The only way to add more speed would be to go down a size or two or go to an END wing.

The only way to increase glide at trim is to go up a class of wing (END), or use a PG wing.

Having said that, I can imagine glide at speed (Full bar/Full trimmers) to be quite variable on a PPG wing - possibly as poor as 2:1, hence why a lot of power is required to stay in level flight.

Richard

Hi Morgy,

I am one of the few who have a Speedster 28 so far.

It is a joy to fly and I haven't found any characteristics of the wing in any conditions that I have not loved. I am purely a recreational pilot who likes X country, ground skimming & challenging myself on slalom. I have no affiliation or vested interest in any equipment supply.

I guess the highest speeds will be achieved by those competitive pilots who fly the best combination of small wing x lightweight motor x max power. I will leave them to argue which combination is best.

However from my experience the Speedster is among the fastest factory production wings. I was hoping to have gone head to head against a few other wings at some of the flyin's but the weather & work seem to have made that a bit challenging since I got it in August. :( From my own "fly before you buy tests" it was fater than the Fusion, Force & my Reaction.

I fly a Bailey 200 with an all up weight 127kg. The Speedster 26 was a bit too small to give level flight on max power on max speed configeration (trimmers off + full speedbar), the 28 gives me +50ft/minute.

I will do some circuits at the different settings and upload them to garminconnect so you can see speeds & glide ratio's for yourself. :?:

My only negative was I didn't like the speedbar supplied. The only way to adjust the length is to keep untying the line from the speedbar. The Dudek easy catch speedbar is still the best & can be adjusted in flight & so I use the one from my Reaction.

best regards

Flying Fergus

Many thanks furgus

I am not interested in comp flying or going onto small wing's etc. By the sound of it i am like you and like to go xc etc. But i do not want to get rid of the fusion that i love to fly for something the same.

I look forward to seeing your gps track's etc as i am about the same all up as you I am 120kg with my v3.

I might have to go for the 26 if i get a v5 but i will have to see

• 4 weeks later...
What comps is it winning, I've heard allot of hype but did not know that it was doing well im comps!!
Its winning all the speed and econ task's :roll:

This should please the Speedster owners :

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/228457/baf83aca1c/446000307/8ff0be750b/

http://cts.vresp.com/c/?OZONEGlidersLtd./baf83aca1c/8ff0be750b/3ab9607164

A good competition and test of wings, as all pilots must fly within the certified weight range - so avoiding the usual bias towards whoever can overload the smallest wing the most !! :roll: Of course there will be small differences in drag between different pilots / motors, but overall a fairly level playing field.

Hopefully the next race will see a larger turnout with more wings represented - Plasma, Fusion, Force etc. - to give a clearer picture of real world performance vs. marketing hype. It would also be interesting to see how different sizes of the same wing perform against each other (when flown within weight range) as unfortunately the 5 Nucleons were all size 29. I'd like to see how a 23 fares against a 34 for instance ......

Yes technically you are right Rich,

But for this the rules stated that as long as the wing was certified (which for nearly all

PPG wings usually means with the trimmers in) and that it was flown within its

certified weight range, then the wing could be flown by all competitors using

the full trimmer range and speedbar as desired.