3km limit?

blatantly ripped from another site. :)

The BHPA Club Pilot (Power) qualification once gained allows pilots to fly without instructor supervision, providing that he/she keeps within two miles of the take-off point. The BHPA Paramotoring qualifications are the only ratings recognised by a British association. One big advantage is the Third Party Liability cover to £2,000,000.

More questions.

How valid is the insurance should you drift further than 2 miles? for instance my village is a turn point for a BHPA school, at least 2.5 miles away :shock:

How many flights within these two miles are you required to undertake, before you can upgrade to "pilot" and take advantage of the much coveted insurance cover?

Colin B

(Not the ugly one)

This is actually quite an important subject.....

Can anyone confirm what would happen if a BHPA PPG Club Pilot crashes into a car, 3 miles from the instructor / site?

I am sure most BHPA members would like to know for peace of mind.

SW :D

Can anyone confirm what would happen if a BHPA PPG Club Pilot crashes into a car, 3 miles from the instructor / site?

I would think that if the insurers could prove the person was outside this distance then they would not pay out.

I was not aware of that as an option for low airtime / new pilots? What are the entry requirements for the Pilots exam?

Is there a Pilot Rating for PPG?

I am sure they are on the case of course, I am just trying to understand.

Would the insurance cover them?

Technically, no, but everything is done on a case-by-case basis.

Simon

There is a BHPA Pilot rating for PPG. To attain the rating you have to pass a modified Pilot rated exam, geared to PPG but similar to the exam for PG pilot. You also have to demonstrate that you can set up, preflight check, and demonstrate good flying with accurate landings and good wing control on the ground. There's a list to work through, generally with the club coach and we are also encouraged to take part in repacking our own parachutes, with another qualified chap, and do first aid courses.

All this is included in the price of club membership and BHPA clubs are dotted all around the country so it's easy to source one rellatively local to you.

Dave

:idea:

Got it. I was working on the assumption that training to an appropriate level had already taken place.

Club coaches dont teach. They may , however , witness tasks.

Also. Maybe not ALL BHPA clubs encourage your involvement in repacking chutes and first aid. My local BHPA club does.

As for the 3 km rule. You'd probably find that the owness would be on you to prove that you were within 3 km, rather than the insurance company having to prove that you were outside. Dont hit any cars

Dave

I was not aware of that as an option for low airtime / new pilots? What are the entry requirements for the Pilots exam?

Is there a Pilot Rating for PPG?

I am sure they are on the case of course, I am just trying to understand.

Hi Simon,

The 2 mile radius in the BHPA CP rating might sound restrictive, but is designed for completely new pilots and still allows a 12.5 mile area around the launch site for them to gain experience without getting into too much trouble until they gain a more complete understanding of meteorology, air law, navigation etc. These topics are covered in much more depth for the Pilot rating (essential for longer XC flights) which then has no restrictions. A 2 stage system might not be to everyone's tast but recognises that knowledge and skills take time to build up from complete beginner.

Pilots with previous experience (even non BHPA members) don't have to do the CP rating and can simply take the full Pilot's exam straight away via the 'alternative entry system'. You can have a full Pilot (power) rating in the BHPA without ever doing any free flying.

If you want I could email you a copy of the syllabus and past exam paper (you will get 1.5 hours to complete and return it (no cheating) and I will publish the result) ..... only kidding ! :lol:

Not suggesting any particular system of training is superior, but I do believe ALL pilot training and qualifications should be standardised - not just in UK but worldwide, so they are accepted and recognised in all countries.

Alan