Close(ish) call of the ‘What’s that brown adrenaline’ kind.

alan_k

Those of you that follow my posts will know that I usually have the sky to myself; it’s very rare to share it with anything else.

This morning as I was setting out and getting kitted up the clouds were developing but there was very little wind.

The wind direction shifted 90° a couple of times but I waited and then took off into wind at 10:56.

The motor was at full chat, I had got to 130 feet and two fast jets passed to my right about 800 feet away, at I guess 250 feet agl.

B******s! I had checked the notams before I left home and they were active only in the eastern and southern zones, not the centre :shock:

I continued climbing but I bumped into cloud base at 900 feet. Shirley called me on the radio and said ‘did you hear those jets?’ to which I replied ‘no but I saw them alright’ :!:

I thought if those jets come round again I am not very far removed from their play area so I turned around and came back to the field.

Still, all airtime is good (providing you don’t get knocked out of it :o ) and I can come back this evening.

Cheers,

Alan

Glad you're ok Alan, reminds me of free flying the Malverns in the last century, soaring way out in front of the hills about 1000ft ATO when an RAF Hercules/Belfast flew underneath us....... This was in the days when they could afford to fly these things.

Never had anything like what you encountered. Other than a nosey private helicopter over Clent eventually forcing me to land for safety reasons.....

Richard

I should listen to my own advice :oops:

Ask local pilots :roll:

When I was back at the field in the afternoon Michel told me that the Armée de l'Air always have a play on Tuesday mornings, and everyone knows they treat the whole of G airspace as their playground. I haven't twigged before that it's always Tuesday :?

What I didn't say above is that the jets came from behind me, so the first I knew of them was when they appeared to my right.

Anyway I got another flight in, went over to a huge solar PV installation and took a couple of pictures.

P1020036.jpg

Cheers,

Alan