Miniplane strength

matt_k

Hi Gordon

I hope that you grow to like your Miniplane as much as I like mine. Light, reliable and much more robust than some would have you believe.

Anyway the point of the post is to let you know, if you don't already, that there are two excellent Yahoo groups, one for Top 80 engines and the other for Miniplane owners. Much like this forum, they are a great source of information.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/top80/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/miniplane-owners/

I had a small problem the other day and I got an astonishingly quick and detailed response.....quite humbling.

Christian

the top80 group is excellent. I had a few problems with the harness when I bought it 2007 and Per Il Volo sent a new insert right away. Same with the fuel cap.

The top80 engine is a very good one, wouldn't mind having it again. Reliable and fuel efficient. Bought a pap pa125 to get a stronger frame for power inflation but considering how easy it is to start the new gliders I don't really think it'll add that much.

The new motor with injection is interesting.

Yes, not because I have one but just my interest in how they have integrated FI into a 2stroke. I'm guessing it's a simple throttle body design with no reeds. I don't think the motor will be lighter.... more HP? don't know...

Yea the new gliders and 130props are great.

My starter cord broke so I need to get the new one before I can add the bungee for inflight start (to short). but thanks for the info.

I'm 80k and fly in short most time so I don't need much more. But If I did it again I would have a hard time not buying the Ultra 130 ABM with all the goodies coming in at 20.7k ;

"The 1mm thickness, 100% titanium exhaust weighs only 0.9 kg and the company claim it will reduce motor noise “considerably”. It brings the weight of the Ultra 130 down to a paltry 20.7 kg, including harness, propeller and battery."

But do you need it for the extra cash? I'm not sure, what I have works great now...... its human nature to want what you think you don't have..... lol

I hope I can squeeze a fly in between the rain this weekend.

What I really need is to do that Africa run! I have a ton of vacation!!!! lol

T