wed flying

jock

I've just returned from a smooth (if dull) days flapping around North Worces/South Staffs area - not a thermal in sight.... and I had to wear the winter suit! 13deg at 1200asl 7pm tonight....

I'm game for a flap, but need to know what you fancy doing. If it's to a be just a quick flap around the Powick field, I'll stay local. If you want to make a day of it (say 12pm - 7pm), then I'll pop down and join you.

cheers,

Richard

I've just returned from a smooth (if dull) days flapping around North Worces/South Staffs area - not a thermal in sight.... and I had to wear the winter suit! 13deg at 1200asl 7pm tonight....

I'm game for a flap, but need to know what you fancy doing. If it's to a be just a quick flap around the Powick field, I'll stay local. If you want to make a day of it (say 12pm - 7pm), then I'll pop down and join you.

cheers,

Richard

I have to pick up nipper at 4pm,so will have to leave at 3pm.im ok when school starts back next week .wont have to be back then.....

Hi guys - I'm planning to fly over to the Malverns this afternoon, coming from the west, around 5 pm or so. I see that Powick is not far away, I'll look out for you, or maybe drop in (if you give me a grid and a time).

Hi powick was full of sheep/cows am.so i went up the malverns free flying.came back past at 4pm no cattle and grass is super short.dont know if anyone is out for eve flight.were are you from,are you a local flyer.what do you fly.its the big feild by powick roundabout behind the indian curry house.feild runs up along side bypass til kemspey roundabout,,

I saw you go over Richard, I was out by the farm cutting wood. I heard that noisy Konig over my chainsaw :wink:

Then I had several texts saying you up flying again!

Was a lovely afternoon/evening but I was too busy to join in :(

Off to Boston tomorrow for round one of the British League so should get some in no matter the weather!

Then Slalomania week after next, one of only 3 Brits competing, then straight to St Hilaire for Coupe Icare.

You'll have the Malvern Hang Glider Club Anti-Paramotor Police after you.....

I have left a note on their blog (and posted the photo) saying that I would be interested in some free flying ridge soaring lessons. If they don't like talking to paramotor pilots then I could save them the bother and just buzz about in a circle above the ridge for a couple of hours watching them soaring so that I can pick up the technique that way.

Have a good one Phil.

Not been to Coupe Icare since 2000, Say hello to Didier at 'Air et Aventure' (Lumbin) for me (my paramotor manufacturer in 97). I reckon you'll love it there, especially if the weather is flyable. Careful if you go for the spot landing with those occasionally strong valley winds, I seem to remember my last attempt was nearly 600m away.......

Richard

Good point - noted. I will make sure that I stay well away when I have the props turning. This time I did switch off the engine as I approached, and I came down and did a close pass of the ridge before turning out and switching the power back on. Amazing scenery, such a beautiful part of the world. Here is a shot from a little further away, with the paragliders just visible on the centre ridge.

DSC_7427_copy.jpg.d6c9702775110846b0ee99

Had a great flight in the end - a 78km circuit around the Malverns. I saw some guys paragliding on the top and took a photo - presumably after you had packed up, Jock.

I was flying a Paramania Fusion in the standard black-orange-white colours.

The malvern club are ok with ppg pilots as long as you dont over fly the hills low,glad you had the engine off as prop wash would be a nightmare to pgs as richard says,esp new pg pilots,great photos,you need 15hrs pg flying before you fly the main hills were the pgs were,castle morten is ok its the training hill,have you done any pg flying.malvern club have very good coachs in the club.north hill is off bounds to all pg as is the british camp.kettle sings and the beacon and c/morten is were you fly from.but you need to join malvern club for beacon and get a helmut sticker for life to fly ks/beacon only £12 to join.but it best not to fly ppg over hills unless 500ft and above.esp if pgs are flying then keep away completey.veiws are fantastic as you say.i expect you will get a repy from the club to your email.

Jock, Norbertflyer - thanks for the advice and the point of contact for lessons. I did most of an EP course a few years back (1998) but didn't actually complete it and get the qualification. Since then it has all been powered flight.

Given that I would free fly my current wing (Fusion 29), which I have already logged 50 hrs on, presumably it would just be a case of covering the finer points of ridge soaring, top / slope landing, and nailing my thermalling technique.

Am I underestimating it? I am not too fussed about the qualifications as the idea is really to develop the techniques so that I can fly to the hill with power on, switch off and then soar and thermal until it is time to power home.

Long term it would be good to have the option to foot launch / free-fly from hills though, particularly when travelling around when I can't take the engine with me - clearly from an access point of view I ought to have the qualifications for that. If it is going to be weeks of lessons - which time won't allow at the moment (with my work and job) - then I will bin the idea.

If you can thermal with the motor swicthed off you can thermal pg.you may just need a few tips on windy hill launchs and wing control,and tips on what part of the hill not to fly to if low.due to rotor etc.you have the flying hrs on ppg.ive flown the action ppg wing on the malverns flew just as good as most pg wings ive had,if you want to fly castle/morten i will go with ya,.the main hills would be after you have done some hill flying as the malvern club woulnt like it,i think you will be fine,c/morten is a bit tricky to top land but v/good for rigde soaring and large landing options.c/morten takes east/se wind with 7mph ground wind giving 12-14 on the hill,16mph on the hill would be max t/o due to getting blown back which is not fun on a spine back hill.give it a go you will love it...........