Mounting Camera On Icaro Fly UL

jay7210

Right I've got a Contour HD camera and I'm trying to mount it on my Icaro Fly UL, only problem is theres no flat points on the helmet for the ultra sticky pad so i don't know where to mount it!? You guys and experience or ideas i can pinch??

Cheers,

Jay

I just did a quick google search....

I can't believe that no curved mount exists for that (helmet cam)

That's a bit rubbish I recon :-(

Looks like your making one yourself chap. There are 'camera helmets' out there with flat surfaces everywhere if needed.

SW :D

You could mount in by putting a bit of sponge under it and then using chunky black tape. (lots of it)

I have used this method for much heavier cameras than the contour and its worked well. (just make sure its tied off so that if it comes loose it can not reach the prop. ;-)

I accept no responsibility if it goes pete tong.

SW :D

I drilled a hole in my helmet and bolted a camera to the top... not ideal, but the head of the bolt was well away from my head!! :shock: Not sure if this would work with your camera though.

Can you not get a strap type mount for the Contour? like the gopro one?

You could also get some epoxy and set the mount in a load of it on the side of the helmet?

As Simon says have a safety line just in case! :D

Tom :D

a81afb6c.jpg

Contour recently brought out a "profile mount". It is simply a flexible piece of plastic which sticks directly to the side of your helmet and the camera clips to it. About £16.00 for a pair. Very simple, just need to make sure you align it carefully before sticking it down.

I bought mine from a cycle shop in Northen Ireland (arrived in a day or two). If you can't find one, let me know and I'll dig out the details.

To stick it to my Fly UL I warmed it up on a radiator to make it flexible first. When it cooled it did come away a bit at the sides so I just squirted a bit of silicone sealant at the gap. The mount is very sticky anyway and won't come off.

http://pointofviewcameras.co.uk/contour ... oduct+feed

Steve

No problem - curved mounts are available : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230471835646?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

or use the headband mount : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Contour-3600-Headband-Mount-Brand-New-/180634499855?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item2a0ea7bb0f

or use the universal mount (just drill a small hole for the standard 1/4" camera threaded screw, or velcro / epoxy it to side of camera) : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Contour-Universal-Mount-Adaptor-/140590962392?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Skiing_Accessories&hash=item20bbdfd6d8

Loads of options with the Contour ! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using the contour HD for a couple of years now. I have never got on with the provided sticky flat surface mount. The 3M sticky material isn't any good IMO. I abandonned the sticky pad after 3 failures and 3 new pads.

On my fly U/L helmet I have some heavy duty sticky velcro and on the flat surface mount I superglued the other side of the velcro to the base of the mount. I run a small back-up cable tie from the base to one of the vents in the top of the helmet. The camera remains a attached to the mount with the provided lanyard.