GPS Which one

I use the 96CSx and find the colour display clear & easy to read in sunlshine or in the dark with backlight. It is on a flight deck so fairly close - it might not be so clear if mounted on your leg ...

The 'x' means it uses micro SD card, which is handy as I have full UK, Alps, France, Spain, Morrocco and other full topographical maps loaded (amazing what you can get free on t'internet) :wink: with airspace overlays - very handy for free flying trips abroad !

It has just about every function you could ever need, with the ability to customise the display on each screen to show the info you want. However if you want ease of use, just press the 'man overboard' button at your take off field and it will constantly display an arrow back there throughout your flight. :D

I use the 76Csx which is the older version that you can no longer buy for love nor money. :-)

Assuming you can find one, it will cost you around the £200 mark I recon.

SW :D

TJ,

I use an Iphone with memorymaps...

It's fine if I don't want to actually move it around with my fingers... If I do, I have to take my glove off mid-flight.

I did try the conductive-thread-sewn-through-the-finger mod, but although it does work, it's not very reliable. This is where the GPS' are better. No touch-screen-vs-glove issues.

All the best

Have ordered the 1:2500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 whatever they are air charts for the area's i need the unit comes with the base maps and you plug & play with SD cards for the area's needed im getting it Friday so will let you know how it all looks

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using the Satmap 10 for a couple of years now, albeit for land bound activities.

I find it excellent. It uses OS maps, and not the host companies version of os maps. Big screen, but the big clincher for me was that it was not touch screen. I use mine in the wind, rain and cold and it is a big benefit to be able use it with gloved fingers. There is the option of using normal batteries or rechargeables and several screen protection options.

the display can be tailored to suit with a 'no info display' or 2 or 4 items of info. Lots of things avail for flyers as well..

The only downside... you can only download a screen shot of the data screen. I know on some of the others you can download all of the info and work with that info once on your computer, not so with the Satmap..

Hope this helps..

O.K You lot

Garmin 96c

Sat it on a rock the other day , and the altimeter varied from 262ft to 302ft...Up and down it went...And im sure the rock was nt moving . Any ideas whats happening ? By the way its 4 months old with fresh batteries...

Then i took it in a brand new Jag and set the cruise to 27mph ( just a random test )

Garmin said 21.4mph

Tom Tom said 25 mph

Jags Sat Nav said 27

Who do i believe ?

How do you calibrate a Sat Nav ??

Im going to get my old Garmin from the drawer and try the two together...I ll let you know !

New Jag ????? :shock:

I , err , borrowed it ! Anyway , im not a member a Bank Manager , or a member of a Golf Club , or a Headmaster ( Who i loaned it from ) :roll:

Im just lowly working class....I know my place.... Besides , id rather drive my Skyline , and be the T*^T thrashing past everyone in a cloud of burning rubber !!

After some thought on this matter I have come to a solution to finding out which system of recording the Speed the most accurate 100% success I reckon ...... :?

Borrow that New Jag again ..... 8)

Get all speed recording systems up and running and then at around 45mph go through a 30mph speed trap..... :?:

And this is the clever part of my plan.... :wink: .........Wait around for a few days and your true speed at that point will be delivered by the royal mail :|

You will have to do a few runs to be sure of the results....or just video one run whilst the camera is pointing at all the different devices so you will have a record.....

SIMPLES :shock::lol:

O.K You lot

Garmin 96c

Sat it on a rock the other day , and the altimeter varied from 262ft to 302ft...Up and down it went...And im sure the rock was nt moving . Any ideas whats happening ? By the way its 4 months old with fresh batteries...

Then i took it in a brand new Jag and set the cruise to 27mph ( just a random test )

Garmin said 21.4mph

Tom Tom said 25 mph

Jags Sat Nav said 27

Who do i believe ?

How do you calibrate a Sat Nav ??

Im going to get my old Garmin from the drawer and try the two together...I ll let you know !

All GPS units will be more accurate the more your moving. :-) GPS Altitude is never 100% accurate. (some have a barometric altimeter to better this situation)

SW :D