Equipment purchase

Hi all

I would like to thank you for the advice gained so far and ask for some more help.

I am starting to look for equipment now and have been visiting e bay on a regular basis but there are so many different motors for sale and i am not sure what i should consider buying.

I am 15 and a half stone at the moment and have been told that i should look for at least 200 cc engine. Is this good advice? Also i have no idea what type of wing i should be looking at.

Many thanks

Dennis.

Hi all

I would like to thank you for the advice gained so far and ask for some more help.

I am starting to look for equipment now and have been visiting e bay on a regular basis but there are so many different motors for sale and i am not sure what i should consider buying.

I am 15 and a half stone at the moment and have been told that i should look for at least 200 cc engine. Is this good advice? Also i have no idea what type of wing i should be looking at.

Many thanks

Dennis.

It is a bit worrying that you are looking at buying equipment, but you don't have any idea about the type of wing you should be looking for, but anyway 200cc is not a good reference point, look at the HP rather than cc as some engines with smaller capacity are more than powerful enough.

Paul D

Hi Dennis, I am your weight (or a tiny bit heavier) and can recommend any of the following engines (as they all got me off the ground easily) - Corsair Black Devil (175cc), F200 (200cc) Simonini mini 2 (200cc) and Parajet Macro (180cc).

The Corsair, F200 and Simonini engines have been around for a while and used by various manufacturers, so you are likely to find a decent used one for sale. First you need to decide if you want high or low hang points, electric or pull start (there are pro's and cons to everything), but you also need to get one with the right size harness for you. Trying it on your back first is more important than the quoted weight, as they all feel slightly different depending on their weight distribution. Some harnesses are easier to get into than others after take off.

Engines over 200cc might give more power, but carry a weight penalty that affects ground handling, ease of launch & landing. If you are buying new then the Vitorazzi Moster (180cc) has one of the best power to weight ratios at the moment.

Wing choice is equally confusing but the Apco Thrust (L or XL) is a great beginner wing, very safe and easy to handle but a bit slow on a long XC. A Synthesis (31 or 34) is a good reflex wing if you want more speed - and fairly easy to pick up a decent used one.

PS - I assumed you were already training, if not I would agree with Paul's comment not to buy anything yet as it could be an expensive mistake ! Best to use the school equipment first and speak to any pilots your size as they will probably let you try their machine on your back as a reference.

Edited by Guest

Just bought a EC Extreme with the Moster enging its light and powerful i weigh 112kg (17st & a bit) bought it from UKPPG who look after me well but you really should be looking at training or at least talking to a instructor or already trained pilot, your mad if you dont!!!!!!

Hi all thanks for all of that info and just to put you in the picture I am not training yet but am currently looking for somewhere daily local. I have spoken to an instructor in alconbury which is not too far from me and I understand there is a club in northampton somewhere but I don't know if they offer training. Is it normal to use the clubs equipment throughout training or do you normally need your own equipment before you finish? I have also contacted a club nr kings Lynn but have had no response as yet. Don't worry I will not be buying equipment or trying to fly untill I am trained.