Using a paraglider wing for the new pilot

wildboy

I am currently undergoing training and have recently purchased a package which includes a paraglider wing. Its very stable with kiting and launching compared to the synth reflex wing I am training on but I am told that I should only use a paramotor wing for the extra speed against the wing I currently have.

I realise that using the paraglider wing would be very slow and I intend to purchase a reflex wing in good time but for the sake of getting up in the air and practicing take off and landings, is a paraglider wing an acceptable wing to practice on or am I going to be dead in the water? The wing I have is an Advance alpha 2 if anyone is familier with it. The guys at the loft said it was a good quality wing but I realise they deal with both gliding and motoring wings.

I do not think it is tow rated so do not fly it with power.

I assume that by 'tow rated' you mean the the manufacturer has said it is Ok for towing (in the user manual). According to the manual the Advance Alpha 2 is suitable for winching without any modifications.see: http://www.advance.ch/fileadmin/user_up ... nual__.pdf

Pete, I assume that you give this advice because you are thinking that if a wing is good for towing then it is also OK for paramotoring, that may be good general advise, but it is not always the case.

Many paragliding wings that perform very well under power have no 'tow rating'

Paul D

I do not think it is tow rated so do not fly it with power.

I assume that by 'tow rated' you mean the the manufacturer has said it is Ok for towing (in the user manual). According to the manual the Advance Alpha 2 is suitable for winching without any modifications.see: http://www.advance.ch/fileadmin/user_up ... nual__.pdf

Pete, I assume that you give this advice because you are thinking that if a wing is good for towing then it is also OK for paramotoring, that may be good general advise, but it is not always the case.

Many paragliding wings that perform very well under power have no 'tow rating'

Paul D

I always play safe unless I know for a fact, always willing to be corrected :D

So it may or may not be OK to use. If I was to use it in still conditions, practicing take off and landing, what would be the potential dangers/risks involved? I am planning to get a reflex but I would like to know if I can make do with practice on the current wing without dying in the process..

So it may or may not be OK to use. If I was to use it in still conditions, practicing take off and landing, what would be the potential dangers/risks involved? I am planning to get a reflex but I would like to know if I can make do with practice on the current wing without dying in the process..

It could possibly stall on climb out and drop you like a stone on to your back :shock::shock:

Dont try it unless some one with more experience and knows what they are doing tries it first.

This is just my opinion and accept NO RESPONSIBILITY at all if it all goes tits up

It could possibly stall on climb out and drop you like a stone on to your back//// : Yes pete is right your alpha is a dhv1,it will drag to far behind on climb.if useing a pg wing its best to have a high end 1/2 or a dhv2 which is much better and a lot more suited to ppg.dhv1 are not really any good for ppg.ive used dhv 1- 1/2 and lots of dhv2.but you can free fly your alpha to gain a lot of hrs as long as you are or have had training.,the alpha is a very good stable wing to learn with/// free flight..

I think it should be fine, so long as it's had a recent service (line check/porosity check/etc). Being a DHV1, it should'nt 'hang back' at all, unless you're flying at full throttle with a 90hp engine. It has the same performance figures as my old Edel Saber and I flew that with power for 180+ hours. There's been quite a few A2's on the web flown with power, without any reported issues. (quite a few issues on the hill with students though...).

Richard

When i used my apco fiesta dhv1 it was bad, the wing hung right back near the stall.that was with the little vittorazi revolution ppg.a more modern dhv1 may be different.but i still woudnt use a 1 on 2days high power units.can you see anbody trying one on a rotary,he would soon have the world record for twisting/back flips lol/.

My 2p worth,

Typically a DHV1 wing will tend to hang back under powered flight.

If you are not 100% sure that it will be OK, you are not a test pilot so DONT test it.

Accept that there is a cost to entry with this sport in order to keep it safe.

SW :D

Still air will challenge your reflex trained launch technique, but certainly offer less concern for condition induced pilot input.

As a DHV 1 from the year 2000, it has response characteristics built in back then. High input forces, slow response and quick reinflations that come with significant surge.

If it's in good condition, no line stretch/shrink and all that it will probably fly just fine with careful and progressive inputs to learn how it flies under your loading.

If you're outside the weight range, expect very rapid surges and equally violent pilot damping required.

The safety built into a DHV1 for reinflation can gift wrap you if you're not ready for it, or educate with an assymetric collapse.

Smooth power (as you've surely been taught) application and removal in calm conditions and why not fly it?

Kite to confidence, apply motor and make it earn it's keep.

Keep an open mind about how it flies tho, as it's ten year old technology and your training didn't prepare you for that.