ANOTHER NEWBIE!!

HI EVERYONE,WOULD LOVE TO GET IN TO THIS SPORT,IM IN KENT AND BACK IN THE SUMMER WHILE RECOVERING MY MODEL AIRCRAFT HIGH IN A TREE I LOOKED UP TO SEE A CHAP HANGING FROM A PARACHUTE WITH AN ENGINE ON HIS BACK!!.WHAT A GREAT LOOKING BIT OF FUN SO HERE I AM WONDERING IF THERE IS ANY ONE AROUND THE TUNBRIDGE WELLS AREA?????? CHEERS GREAT SITE

Any aviation 'sport' should not be considered as 'safe'

However...

When flying with a reserve (Paramotoring) not Paragliding... is as safe as you fly it.

2 people in 12 years have died Paramotoring in the UK and I dont think that anyone will mind me saying that they were both 'acrobatic' pilots.

SW :D

Hi Matty and welcome.

In my view safety is not in the machine but in the man. Paramotoring cannot yet be classified as there are insufficient data to compare it meaningfully with other forms of aviation. The unmotorised version, paragliding, with many more participants does have meaningful statistics but these are gliders that need to fly in more turbulent air than many paramotorists choose to fly in, so their safety record needs that qualifier.

Most accidents, injuries and fatalities in all forms of aviation (and other activities) are attributable to the choices made by the pilot. That might be choice of weather to fly in, choice to ignore a safety check or a maintenance procedure, choice to push the craft or the pilot to the limit......"Is paramotoring safe?".... you choose!

In my opinion a paramotor is a "safe" machine, that is.... it is no less safe than any other aircraft from a "physics" point of view.

In a nutshell flying is safe, crashing isn't. Learning to pilot, navigate, maintain the craft and learning about the medium you fly in, the weather, site assessment, airflow and turbulence all help to make paramotoring safe for you. It can all be learned in basic form in about a week or so. To learn it in detail takes about another lifetime or so.

I used to aeromodel and then glide a bit. I was seeking/needing to be airbourne. The paraglider and its motorised attachment the paramotor, lets me sit in the air and feel that element from a machine that you can carry on your back! It is astonishing. It is also unregulated and quite cheap (for aviation).

Again..... welcome. And if you would like to arrange a piloted introductory flight in a two seat paramotor, just ask , there are a few operators who can provide this for you.

Good luck, and safe flying :D

Give it a while and I am sure we will form a Kent Club soon, in the mean time take a look through the member list some have filled in the location field in there profiles so you can see if anyone is in your neck of the woods.

You are of course welcome to go to any one of the other clubs and watch a bit of flying face to face.

SW :D