Struggling to climb out with new wing

might be a stupid thing to suggest but your not trying to take off on fast trim are you ??

I also have noticed a slightly longer take off run with the force compared to my other wings although once up and going its not noticeable even when ground skimming.....

its a very fast wing but as with everything in life there has to be a a payback somewhere along the line.... :|

might be a stupid thing to suggest but your not trying to take off on fast trim are you ??

I also have noticed a slightly longer take off run with the force compared to my other wings although once up and going its not noticeable even when ground skimming.....

its a very fast wing but as with everything in life there has to be a a payback somewhere along the line.... :|

Hi Meds,

I'm on a 175 (1.3m). Max rpm has always been 7800 for me. I'm a little surprised to here you say 8400 (I'll have to recheck my manual).

What prop size are you on? How much do you weigh? What size is your new wing? Did you change wing size when you switched to the force? Have you tried to measure your rate of climb with a vario? If you answer these questions I could compare with my experiences.

Also keep in mind that density altitude can have a major impact on both wing and motor performance. To be clear; I'm not suggesting that you could have lost 300 rpm due to environmental changes alone, I'm just saying that the all-round performance of your aircraft could be down by double-figure percentages due to changes in density altitude. If it's hot and/or high (i.e. low pressure) and/or humid you should expect notably degraded performance . Things have been pretty hot and humid lately and the pressure has been reasonably low at times so this could be contributing to your experience of reduced performance.

I also lost 300 - 400 rpm not too long ago and tracked it down to a leaking inlet manifold. My symptoms were a little different though because the lost rpm was minimal at ground level and only become noticeable at altitude when the mixture leaned out so my initial climb rate wasn't impacted much. To rule this out check for oil splatter around the carb and head sides of the inlet manifold. If it's clean then probably not the issue.

Regards

DB

Hi

I read that you had a twitch every now and then i had the same thing on v3 it turned out to be a plug on its way out... Changed it and all was fine.... I have also been loosing power on mine too... It seem to be getting less and less every time i flew it untill it let go 3 weeks ago...

175 bailey do have a bit of a problem "IMHO" with crankshafts/bearings how many hours do you have on it???? Please go and check your oil and filter look inside the filter case for small bit of metal.

I am not trying to be dramatic and saying your motor is about to blow up as it could be your wing but i had the same thing loosing about 500ft per minute climb on my motor and mine just let go.

I hope you sort it soon :D

new plug n oil change done

took out oil filter and found tiny pieces of what i assume is metal... :shock:

engine still running fine but not tried flying yet, early finish from work tomorrow is planned :wink:

Metal is not good :(

I would call Paul and have a word with him before flying it again.(cheaper to change some bits now than after it goes BANG)

Yes dont not fly it!!!

Phone Bailey sounds like the bearings are on there way out. Make sure that you do not have to much tension on the drive belt as this cause's the old 175's bearing to fail..... Do you have the belt tension bracket on the lower pulley??? If not speak to bruce about getting one fitted....

Meds,

FYI: My 175 goes to 8100 rpm max according to my tiny tach (1.3 prop)

I fly a Synth 34 and usually cruise at 7100 rpm with trimmers out to keep level.

With trimmers in, I have never had less than 6800 to keep level.

It may be a combination between engine issues and the wing requiring more power.

Something else to think about.

2 weeks ago, whilst warmng the engine up, I could not get any revs over 5000 rpm. I went through everything trying to elimnate the problem. It was actually the fuel that had gone off. It was only 1 month old but as soon as I changed it for some new Super unleaded, the engine immediately went up to 8000 rpm.

Anyway, I may get out this evening for a quick fly. Are you still flying from the same field? (Behind Police Station).

Chris

Hi Meds, I had 175 for nearly 3 years till last November (now have V4). Definitely first get your motor checked over by Paul. I originally flew Mojo then moved to Reaction 28 for 2 years no problems. I tested the small Force and couldn't climb out well even on slow trim. Tried the Medium (29) and maintained level flight on fast trim but lost 150ft / minute on speedbar and would have had to go to the large Force but speeds would of course been slower. The 175 is probably underpowered by modern standards so I upgraded this first. I now have a Speedster 28 and this climbs virtually like for like to my Reaction 28 ( although not tested it properly on Speedber due to the poor configuration on the one provided). My experience would be that the combination you have is probably going to be a challenge on climb rate. Soz for the view but that's my experience. :(