Bailey V5, anyone got one?

dan_p

It was a nice machine compared to the older bailey's. It was having problems misfiring and yes it cut out 3 times. It was very easy to restart though. Putting the motor on was easy with the very nice harness. Walking about it with it on didnt feel too heavy or bulky in any way. It was comfortable and felt like enough power in the air. The power delivery was very smooth and didnt hit you with a punch in the back. I'm only 70kg though and was on the speedster 26. I wouldn't personally get one unless the price came down a lot. lovely machine though.

Thanks for the info gents.

Simon, thats a bit worrying that it was misfiring. Was it an official demo machine brought down by Bailey? If so you would think that they would be keen that it was running spot on with no issues. How was the starter? I presume it also had the active weight shift system?

Thanks

Dan

One of my guys has one.

One of the things to 100% do BEFORE you take your machine out of the factory is to do a hang check. He weighs about 65-70 kg and the hang points have had to be moved all the way back 'past' the point of normal ajustement and the machine is still hanging back as much as you would want during flight.

He was told it would be OK when he asked to do a hang check at the factory so not to bother.

He has also been told that it is now OK to adjust the hang points back to the bent section of the bar (past the point of designed in ajustement) which is where it now HAS to be to obtain an 'OK, just' angle during flight

SW :D

Thats not good I am 72/75 kg's and an thinking about getting a v5 i would not like my motor to be adjusted past were it had been designed to go..

Have you adjusted the two red adjuster rings on the front of the swing arms as well as the main one where the carabina sit's?

Not teaching you to suck egg's

It is currently set up in the 'lightest' poss pilot position.

I will tripple check his weight today just in case he is lighter than I thought.

Thats light!!!!!

Perhaps he should have got a miniplane!!!!! That must be the bottom end of the v5 weight wise??? There is no stats on baileys web site yet!! :roll:

Moving the front adjuster dose just as much as the rears (well it did on my v3) but they are just holes not the new type

I would say you need to add another 5KG to the lightest pilot weight to get a decent angle of dangle. The 64KG guy was about as far back as you would want to be if you had to.

I am sure if he had been given the chance to hang check it before taking it away it would have been clear to the factory that he was a little on the light side for best use out of this machine.

Thats not great that they fobbed him off on a hang test. Its a 5k machine, surely you deserve a bit of customer care? I would of expected that despite even asking it would of been offered.

Fortunately whilst not a big guy I have a slight love of the pie so I'm around 80k, hopefully thats enough to be somewhere sensible on the adjstment.

But a few concerns raised here, I just expected bailey to be fairytale. Clearly there are things to be mindfull of. Wonder if its better to wait untill the v5 has been around a while?

Dan, one of the pilots Karl ( cant remember his second name ) flew it down from about 90 miles north of us to Essex, to our flyin. It developed the fault on the way down. Even though it cut out 3 times on me, it was only when ticking over. I could of kept it spinning up a bit to stop it cutting out completely but was having far too much fun throwing the demo speedster i was on around. Man that thing handles! Believe the hype! The tip steering is amazing on full trim. Trims in and it has such a good glide to it. Sorry this is meant to be about the bailey. ( but the speedster...ooh la la ) Karl flew the bailey all the way back on the sunday, so wasn't a massive problem. I didn't adjust the hang points on it and I was quite a bit lighter than karl, felt fine to me and the angle of dangle was good. weight shifted ok on the arms. Cant see what the fuss is about. The only reason I would not have one is the price tag. I am not a dealer for any machines so am not biased to any manufacturer. They all need tweeking to our own size and weight to get the best from them.

Simon

Hi Si,

The fuss is not a fuss chap, just my first and only so far V5 experience. Which is a 'bit of a pain in the arse' if your a pilot of 65 KG or lighter and worth a mention.

definitely worth a mention I am thinking about geting one when they have had a few months out in the field and would like to know how others get on with it.... Lets face it every new machine WILL have some type of issue may it be big or small. But unlike other machines the bailey's are (as far as i know) designed/engineered/built by bailey....

I do think it was a shame that they didn't give him a hang check as he asked for one. But I have had a hang check up at bailey on my v3 and all was fine but when i took it for a fly i still needed to move the adjusters to get it so i could land standing up As i could not get my weight forward to get my feet down.

It would be nice to hear from the owner how he is getting on with his motor...

^^ i read the fuss comment as, don't see what all the fuss is about re the active weight shift system? Or am I wrong?

Did the active chassis just not feel any different? It looks like a floating pivot point setup on a mountain bike.

• 1 month later...

It would be nice to hear from the owner how he is getting on with his motor...

Sorry all, I only just noticed this thread! Here's my reply to the newer query on the general discussion board:

Hey Morgy,

I've had a V5 for a couple of months now. As I'm a newbie, I don't have anything to compare it to apart from the parajet that I trained on. I've not had any problems with it. It starts easily and it sounds great! It's not too heavy and it gets me into the air very quickly (although I only weigh 65kg so best to get some feedback from someone less skinny!) Getting into the harness is extremely easy. (perhaps too easy as it seems to scoop me up the moment I get some lift so I have to make a conscious effort to stay upright until well clear of the ground) Fuel consumption seems to be very good. Other pilots at my field seem suitably impressed and are thinking of getting one.

Just to clarify, Paul Bailey didn't say not to bother about a hang check but that my instructor would do one for me. Simon was away at the time and I was keen to get going so I did my own hang check and emailed photos to Paul to ok the position. Obviously I would have preferred a hang check at the factory and In hindsight I should have dug my heels in and insisted on one. I have not had any problems landing with the angle that it is set at.

Cheers,

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi, im a newby on here and thinking of ordering a V5 this week, so whats the verdict, are they worth the money and has anyone had any real issues with the V5, been scanning the internet but not really much out there from owners, any feedback would be a bonus, Good or Bad.

Thanks,

Hi Roy

Are you the same roy who contacted me about my motor??

I am not aware of any issues with the new V5 YET!!! I think with all new motors there will be some issue's some where along the line... There used to be a problem with Crankshaft's IMO with the 175's. I have Also just had a new crank fitted to mine After about 65hours. They have upgraded it to the V4 crank. Now my motor is back to as new condition and is running perfect again and is back to zero hours... :lol:

I am going to wait until next year just to see how well they perform when the new owners have had a chance to put some serious hours on them.

Personally i would wait untill you have done you training before choosing a motor unless your 100% sure.

Good luck

Mine is still for sale !!!!! :roll:

Hi Mark, yes its the same Roy, still looking but think i will take your advice and get some training done first, will also go to the NEC show in November, have heard its not as good now, haven't been since it moved from Telford.

Strange nobody posts anything about the V5, will just have to wait and see.

Regards.

R

Hi Roy,

I fly the V4 ( Bailey 200) but it is fitted with easy start system that enabled them to develop the V5.

There are several out there but those who have them are not regular posters on this forum. They tend to post on the Yahoo paramotor forum so you could ask there. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PilotsPPGclubUK/

I have found the equipment & service back up from Baileys excellent. Delivery times for new paramotors can be several weeks due to their popularity. However they are always promt to deal with parts, service & breakages.

I am firmly in the 4 stroke economy & smooth power camp. Baileys is only 1 hour away from home so also handy for running motor in for a service which also counts or a lot.

best regards

Fergus